Columbus Blue Jackets Goaltender Matiss Kivlenieks has passed away at Age 24

Brawndo

24 minutes ago, inkman said:

I’m guessing the Associated Press isn’t going to publish something so insensitive and flippant. 

Doesn’t change anything 

It doesn't.

But if the person/people launching the fireworks were ripped; it does make the odds of something tragic having happened become much higher than they'd've been if they were sober.

14 minutes ago, Taro T said:

It doesn't.

But if the person/people launching the fireworks were ripped; it does make the odds of something tragic having happened become much higher than they'd've been if they were sober.

There isn’t enough space, time or energy for me to detail my loathe of all things fireworks. Yes I have a dog. No I’m not one of those people who incessantly rambles on about fireworks and pets. She’s used to me stumbling around the house enough to expect loud jolting sounds of pain, anger and regret.  

I don't understand why some people get so hard-up to shoot off fireworks. Go to a controlled show and be done with it. I had a bunch of drunk asssholes about 5 houses down start shooting off commercial sized fireworks from their house last night around midnight. Of course I was trying to sleep. The cops were notified, by many people in the neighborhood, I never saw one show up. Was tempted to walk down there myself, but decided it wasn't a good idea with the thoughts going through my mind. 

58 minutes ago, Claude Balls said:

I don't understand why some people get so hard-up to shoot off fireworks.

Oh come on, you do to. Same for gun ranges and target practice and fires and any other explosive thing. People love to see stuff blow up and love shiny bright explosions. idk if it's human nature, but it's pretty common and there's nothing wrong with it if done responsibly. 

55 minutes ago, Claude Balls said:

I don't understand why some people get so hard-up to shoot off fireworks. Go to a controlled show and be done with it. I had a bunch of drunk asssholes about 5 houses down start shooting off commercial sized fireworks from their house last night around midnight. Of course I was trying to sleep. The cops were notified, by many people in the neighborhood, I never saw one show up. Was tempted to walk down there myself, but decided it wasn't a good idea with the thoughts going through my mind. 

My FIL has hired a company to put on a show two weekends from now at my place. The daughter from Boston is visiting with the kids for the first time since the shutdown. It’s a big deal to all of us.

We’ve printed up a flyer to inform the neighbors that it is happening so they can plan accordingly. There’s a separate flyer for the really close neighbors with an invite to a cookout and front row seats. 

I should add that the closest neighbor is 600’ away. Next closest, 1000’. You get the idea. We have the room and then some but we are still considering our neighbors.

If an Ogre can do it, anyone can.

• Awesome! (+1) 1

41 minutes ago, PerreaultForever said:

Oh come on, you do to. Same for gun ranges and target practice and fires and any other explosive thing. People love to see stuff blow up and love shiny bright explosions. idk if it's human nature, but it's pretty common and there's nothing wrong with it if done responsibly. 

I haven't shot off a firework since I was a teenager 40 years ago. Haven't shot a gun since my late teens. I enjoy a good bonfire from time to time and a controlled fireworks display. Otherwise I couldn't care less. I do enjoy good pyrotechnics at concerts though. Maybe I'm just a weirdo. 😕

3 hours ago, Claude Balls said:

I haven't shot off a firework since I was a teenager 40 years ago. Haven't shot a gun since my late teens. I enjoy a good bonfire from time to time and a controlled fireworks display. Otherwise I couldn't care less. I do enjoy good pyrotechnics at concerts though. Maybe I'm just a weirdo. 😕

but you enjoy the pyrotechnics, just like everybody else. 

1 hour ago, PerreaultForever said:

but you enjoy the pyrotechnics, just like everybody else. 

Just as long as it's not midnight, while I'm trying to sleep, and I'm nowhere near the launching point. Then I'm okay with it. I just have no desire to be the "igniter" or "launcher". Perfectly fine to watch at the right time in the right setting. No rogue pyros for me. I do enough dumb ***** on my own, don't need some drunk idiot blowing me up also. 

15 hours ago, inkman said:

You aren’t making light.  I’d be surprised if it wasn’t just idiots being careless with fireworks.  

Thanks for the affirmation.

I figure when something like this happens, it shouldn't be swept under the rug like nothing happened.

https://www.espn.com/nhl/story/_/id/31770332/matiss-kivlenieks-accident-was-columbus-blue-jackets-goalie-coach-house

"Callers to 911 said Columbus Blue Jackets goaltender Matiss Kivlenieks was hit in the chest by an errant fireworks mortar blast at a Michigan home that, sources told ESPN's Emily Kaplan, belonged to goaltending coach Manny Legace."

I don't think Legace will have a job for much longer. This is aweful!

• Like (+1) 1

58 minutes ago, Norcal said:

I don't think Legace will have a job for much longer. This is aweful!

If I were him A)This wouldn’t have happened and B)I would be so consumed that my stupidity was the direct cause of a promising young person’s death that my fear for my sanity would completely displace any fear for my job.

14 hours ago, drnkirishone said:

I don't understand why fireworks aren't treated like driving.

If you drive drunk and get caught you are in for a world of financial trouble and that is without someone getting hurt.

Some assumptions here?  From what I have read on police reports, the fireworks being used were legal in Michigan and the operator of the fireworks was sober.  Basically no laws were violated (as near as they can tell at this moment).  Sometimes unfortunate things just happen. Certainly one could argue that being around explosive, incendiary devices increases ones chance of being injured or worse by them. To that end, driving a car increases your chance of being injured or worse.

Also, do you anticipate the local authorities to drive around and administer sobriety tests to people setting off fireworks?  They don't even drive around and stop people from setting them off.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.