Sabres' Option: Dylan Guenther

LGR4GM

Guenther is a 6'1" rw with an April bday making him the middle of this draft age wise. He torched the WHL in the shortened 24 game season (he played 12 of those games) but was just okay at the U18 last month. He's got a lot of skills in his box from his shot to knowing how to slip into the open areas near the net. My main concern with him is that I think his WHL numbers are inflated because he played on a great team in a bad division and when I watch his 12goals in 12 games I don't come away impressed. Some of you probably gave your computers a look but Guenther has a lot of tap ins and open looks which is good except someone else creates that opportunity a lot of the times for me. Those things concern me but enough about that, read up on him and check out some of his highlight reel plays and there are a few. 

1) Last Word

https://lastwordonsports.com/hockey/2021/04/19/dylan-guenther-scouting-report/

2) Hockey Writers

https://thehockeywriters.com/dylan-guenther-2021-nhl-draft-prospect-profile/

3) Draft Analyst

https://www.thedraftanalyst.com/2021-nhl-draft/2021-draft-profile-rw-dylan-guenther/

4) Prospect Film Room, highlights

5) Devils in the Details, shift by shift

• Like (+1) 2

7 minutes ago, Weave said:

So, would that make him an Olofsson type opportunist?

No, he's better than that and does create on his own. I think his game needs some seasoning but he's better than Olofsson (who in a lot of ways is a pure shooter). 

“OMG, a guy in a sweater with BuffaloNill on the back has broken into Buffalo’s Draft room and tackled Kevyn Adams. He just keeps yelling “Sabres pick Guenther, Sabres pick Guenther, Sabres pick Guenther” as security drag him from the room.”😜😀

Edited by Flashsabre

4 hours ago, Flashsabre said:

“OMG, a guy in a sweater with BuffaloNill on the back has broken into Buffalo’s Draft room and tackled Kevyn Adams. He just keeps yelling “Sabres pick Guenther, Sabres pick Guenther, Sabres pick Guenther” as security drag him from the room.”😜😀

I've only wrote them a letter every single day they haven't wrote back..

giphy.webp?cid=6c09b952424e82f17ceb1cb1b

Edited by Buffalonill
  • Haha (+1) 2

Guenther: Rebel officer.

Guenther wears a vest. He stands in front of clusters of pilots and technicians and gives a short speech, then hands the rest of the presentation over to more important Generals and Admirals and Mothmas. Once upon a time this guy might have been a smuggler or some other type of miscreant in the eyes of the Empire. Guenther wears a vest!

He put up some big numbers in this shortened season. He was a point per game player last year so he is not a flash in the pan and has improved,

I watched some footage and only saw a few goals that were challenging to score. He made some nice passes so he does have playmaking ability. I wish there was more video of his defensive zone work. He has good size and skates well and will probably transition well to the pro game.
It is difficult to project him as an offensive dynamo at the next level from a twelve game season. He played more than half that many games at the U18 and was more passenger than driver on the points he got.

I won’t be upset if they take him but I see him as the 3rd or 4th best guy in this draft.

12 hours ago, PerreaultForever said:

No. Definitely no. Not with the first overall pick. Undersized and overrated. 

He’s got good size. He’s not a first overall pick worthy player but while I’d prefer Beniers if we get the third pick in an Eichel deal I’d also be fine with Guenther.

5 minutes ago, Curt said:

I think he is listed at about 180 everywhere.  

I've looked around and it seems to vary a bit. Like here he's 170.

idk, 180 is better obviously . He's definitely not a sure thing top pick though. Somewhere 5-10 I'd guess. 

2 hours ago, Hoss said:

He’s got good size. He’s not a first overall pick worthy player but while I’d prefer Beniers if we get the third pick in an Eichel deal I’d also be fine with Guenther.

That gives me a dream thought. Power as the #1 and then Beniers at 3ish with a pick we get in a trade for Eichel or Reinhart. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, PerreaultForever said:

That gives me a dream thought. Power as the #1 and then Beniers at 3ish with a pick we get in a trade for Eichel or Reinhart. 

Every person on the board except nill would be happy

• Haha (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, PerreaultForever said:

I suppose he could max out as a Vanek. Not Martin. 

maybe Drew Stafford 🙂

How come?

(And if his upside is Stafford, there is no way we should be even talking about him.)

16 minutes ago, dudacek said:

How come?

(And if his upside is Stafford, there is no way we should be even talking about him.)

I'm just kidding around trying to make the point that none of these things are guarantees. Read this hockey future talent analysis of Stafford:

https://www.hockeysfuture.com/prospects/drew_stafford/

Lots of similarities in that description to Guenther. I'm not saying that's who he will be, but he is far from a sure thing. 

Power, on the other hand is at WORST imo Tyler Myers, but more likely a more dominant big minute blueline fixture you can build around. 

1 hour ago, PerreaultForever said:

I've looked around and it seems to vary a bit. Like here he's 170.

idk, 180 is better obviously . He's definitely not a sure thing top pick though. Somewhere 5-10 I'd guess. 

Usually the higher weight is right and the lower ones just haven’t been updated.

When in doubt, elite prospects is probably most reputable.  Or just the info from the player’s actual team site.

• Like (+1) 1

On 6/5/2021 at 4:03 PM, PerreaultForever said:

I suppose he could max out as a Vanek. Not Martin. 

maybe Drew Stafford 🙂

Yeah no 😑

He's going to score alot and be a very good 2 way forward 

Buffalo We'll regret this decision forever

Edited by Buffalonill

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.