Shopping Jack Eichel: Columbus

dudacek

Will they be interested?

Probably more than just about any team. This is a team with an aggressive, highly competitive GM, that just lost its identity (Torterella). This is also a franchise that has never had a franchise centre and is establishing a troubling history of talent wanting to leave. A shiny first-line star pivot locked up on a fair deal for five more years would be a godsend.

Do they have the pieces?

It doesn't look like it. They have a lot of intriguing support pieces — guys like Jenner, Bjorkstrand, Domi, Texier, Foudy and their goalies, but completely lack the 4- and 5-star prospects the fans seem to think the Sabres want. Their best piece is the 5th overall pick in a mediocre draft. Unless...two or three years ago, there were people who considered Patrik Laine the top young goalscorer in the game and Seth Jones as its top young defenceman. They are still only 23 or 26, respectively. Laine's star has fallen due to concerns about character and this year's production. Jones has been crucified by the analytics Twitterverse. They both need new contracts.

Would this work?

Jones, Laine, Merzlikins and the 5th pick for Eichel and Olofsson

You are going to get a top 5 prospect and a good goalie at minimum. Laine should be worth at least another 1st if you can't sign him and Jones considerably more. People are going to say it's risky (some on here won't want Laine's 30 goals or Jones' 25 hard minutes under any circumstances), but is it more risky than betting on unproven prospects?

Is there a deal to be made with the Jackets?

42 minutes ago, dudacek said:

Will they be interested?

Probably more than just about any team. This is a team with an aggressive, highly competitive GM, that just lost its identity (Torterella). This is also a franchise that has never had a franchise centre and is establishing a troubling history of talent wanting to leave. A shiny first-line star pivot locked up on a fair deal for five more years would be a godsend.

Do they have the pieces?

It doesn't look like it. They have a lot of intriguing support pieces — guys like Jenner, Bjorkstrand, Domi, Texier, Foudy and their goalies, but completely lack the 4- and 5-star prospects the fans seem to think the Sabres want. Their best piece is the 5th overall pick in a mediocre draft. Unless...two or three years ago, there were people who considered Patrik Laine the top young goalscorer in the game and Seth Jones as its top young defenceman. They are still only 23 or 26, respectively. Laine's star has fallen due to concerns about character and this year's production. Jones has been crucified by the analytics Twitterverse. They both need new contracts.

Would this work?

You are going to get a top 5 prospect and a good goalie at minimum. Laine should be worth at least another 1st if you can't sign him and Jones considerably more. People are going to say it's risky (some on here won't want Laine's 30 goals or Jones' 25 hard minutes under any circumstances), but is it more risky than betting on unproven prospects?

ben carson t GIF

• Like (+1) 2
  • Haha (+1) 2

This might be the right place for the Jones-haters to state their case.

I see Ristolainen without the stupids. When I’ve watched him, he just seems to be a really complete player and a horse.

Where do you see the flaws in his game? I don’t mean the charts, I mean the holes in the way he plays, where he gets exploited?

Edited by dudacek

Not sure if they have enough to land Eichel.  It would depend on how much the Sabres like draft picks as part of the package.  They do have #5 this year.  If a rebuild is the direction, the Sabres could start out with 2 of the top prospects in this draft.

I could see them being interested in Reinhart.

I could see us being interested in Seth Jones.

And I certainly see us interested in one of their goalies.

19 hours ago, dudacek said:

Will they be interested?

Do they have the pieces?

Would this work?

This is the least appealing package of them all.  I don't want Laine, and personally Jones is not going to extend.  Merzlikins is, an upgrade, but this is a terrible return.  No center coming back, pass EASILY.

• 3 weeks later...

I do not like this trade., but if we wanted to have plug-and-play players, between the expansion draft and before the entry draft:

Jones (with extension), Merzlikins, Texier, 2021 1st (5OA).

I like this more: Add an unprotected 2022 1st so that we have two shots an high-end impact player.

If Jones really wants to try UFA (and let's be fair: Buffalo is not even a lateral move from Columbus), then I really don't see a package that Columbus would be willing to give up because then I'm looking at four 1st round picks, no protections... offer sheet style. As others have said, they just don't have the centerpieces.

This is worst trade partner available after Toronto (but there is a snowballs chance in hell that happens). If Jones isn't interested in re-signing in Columbus he surely is not re-signing in Buffalo.  Laine, to me is a player who needs to be insulated by a veteran roster for him to be successful.  He also has such a off putting attitude and his trade value isn't all that hot.  Texier, Chinakhov, are quality pieces but they are so far down the list in terms of overall value in comparison to other trade partners.  Domi, has no value with his injury issues and inconsistencies.  Pending UFA's over 27 (see Merzlikins, Korpisalo and Jenner, yeah no thanks.).   I'm not paying Jones 10+ million.  If you want his type of defensemen we can go after Dumba. Jones, Merzlikins, Texier and 1-5 is a meh proposition.  I would rather go after Dach and 1-11 than this scrap package.

Edited by TheCerebral1

• 3 weeks later...

Case for acquiring Seth Jones.  The more I research this draft the more crazy it seems it's going to be.  Getting Jones gives us a good D (although with similar flaws to Risto) and the potential of trading him at the deadline to a contender (where he wants to go) for a 1st rd pick a year from now.)  Just a thought.

26 minutes ago, Randall Flagg said:

I'm definitely not convinced that Jones is just bad forever now. Don't want an eichel trade with him involved though

Agreed but Columbus could get assets that the Sabres would like for a potential trade.  But I have not convinced myself that they can get enough to make a deal.

1 hour ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

Case for acquiring Seth Jones.  The more I research this draft the more crazy it seems it's going to be.  Getting Jones gives us a good D (although with similar flaws to Risto) and the potential of trading him at the deadline to a contender (where he wants to go) for a 1st rd pick a year from now.)  Just a thought.

55 minutes ago, Randall Flagg said:

I'm definitely not convinced that Jones is just bad forever now. Don't want an eichel trade with him involved though

Jones has a M NTC and per Friedman is telling teams that are interested if He would be willing to discuss an extension with them. I have a suspicion that Buffalo would make both the No Lists. 

On 7/9/2021 at 8:30 AM, GASabresIUFAN said:

I want to acquire guys we expect to be good players here not guys we intend to flip for futures 

4 minutes ago, dudacek said:

Jones to The Avs for a package centred around Alex Newhook.

Newhook/5OA/+ to the Sabres for Jack

Ding ding ding 

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.