I despise this team

Kong

2 minutes ago, Let's Go B-Lo said:

And when was the last time the Leafs either missed the playoffs for a decade straight or lost 19 games in a row?

Leafs haven't won a playoff series in 17 years. They haven't been to a cup final since there were just 6 teams.

No Hellfire.

• Haha (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, I-90 W said:

Don’t put words in my mouth, Kong said it not me. I even explicitly stated twice it was too harsh for my taste. What I am pushing back on is this outrage that seems to suggest there is no way she is a “trophy wife”, when all indications seem to point that to be the case. But I guess I’m a terrible person because I’m using common sense and basic logic. Better shut down this thread, people are saying mean things about a lady! 

The objectionable term was "grasping trophy wife."  That phrase implies a set of serious character flaws.  People objecting to it, when the person introducing it, and the person defending the person introducing it, are unable to provide a single act or statement supporting it, are not being PC snowflakes.  They are just put off by it because of its hostility and borderline misogyny.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

1 hour ago, nfreeman said:

The objectionable term was "grasping trophy wife."  That phrase implies a set of serious character flaws.  People objecting to it, when the person introducing it, and the person defending the person introducing it, are unable to provide a single act or statement supporting it, are not being PC snowflakes.  They are just put off by it because of its hostility and borderline misogyny.

“unable to provide a single act or statement supporting it”

I’ve offered several reasons supporting it; age difference, TP being in a position of authority over her, and his wealth. Not sure what else you need someone to put forth. Younger women marrying older men for their money is a thing, as is the older men marrying the younger women for their looks. Do you deny this? I thought Kong’s verbiage was harsh as well (this is like the fourth time I’ve said this), but TP and KP fit that description.

Again, I couldn’t care less what they do but the virtue signaling from many here is comical, and it’s also inconsistent. We speculate on players personal lives often but for some reason KP is off limits.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 2

If anything, be upset about the fact that Kim is the President of both the Sabres and Bills, yet she has a Podcast that is exclusively about the Bills and has done multiple appearances on the NFL Network and other football related entities in the past 12 months. The last time She said anything about the Sabres publicly was when Adams was hired last June. 

(She is also President of the Amerks, Bandits and Nighthawks as well) 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thanks (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Brawndo said:

If anything, be upset about the fact that Kim is the President of both the Sabres and Bills, yet she has a Podcast that is exclusively about the Bills and has done multiple appearances on the NFL Network and other football related entities in the past 12 months. The last time She said anything about the Sabres publicly was when Adams was hired last June. 

She is way more involved with the team than I would like, which brings a lot of attention on her, particularly her credentials. 

1 minute ago, I-90 W said:

She is way more involved with the team than I would like, which brings a lot of attention on her, particularly her credentials. 

Not disputing this in the least, they both meddle and neither has the credentials to make hockey decisions, except they are the team owners and much to the chagrin of the fan base they can do what they want unfortunately. 

9 hours ago, Let's Go B-Lo said:

I'm not calling anybody names but as President of the Sabres Kim has been objectively terrible. There isn't any aspect of the franchise that is functioning well and there are several that aren't functioning at all. At what point are we allowed to criticize that performance without being drummed out of a thread? 

She owns the team, it's her prerogative to put herself in whatever role she wants but when you put yourself at the top and everything under you is terrible and not getting better people aren't going to be pleased about it. That she owns the team in many ways makes it more hopeless and bleak because there is nobody to fire her. Ever. The Sabres are going to be terrible until one of two things happens. 1. She figures out how to assemble a decent management group underneath her who can effectively run a hockey team or 2. They sell the team. Those are really the only options. The franchise is an absolute laughingstock and I don't know if anyone of any gender who wouldn't be getting all sorts of heat for it.

She may be the first all sorts of things. Good for her. The team is unwatchable garbage and it's getting worse rather than better.

I can't really oppose anything you said here and you said it without personal attacks based on gender and one's personal integrity. Thanks.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

9 hours ago, Brawndo said:

What an accomplished woman. It's funny that a bunch of guys are opining on this. I wonder what real women of accomplishment think of Kim.

• Like (+1) 5

10 hours ago, I-90 W said:

I’ve offered several reasons supporting it; age difference, TP being in a position of authority over her, and his wealth. Not sure what else you need someone to put forth. Younger women marrying older men for their money is a thing, as is the older men marrying the younger women for their looks. Do you deny this? I thought Kong’s verbiage was harsh as well (this is like the fourth time I’ve said this), but TP and KP fit that description.

Again, I couldn’t care less what they do but the virtue signaling from many here is comical, and it’s also inconsistent. We speculate on players personal lives often but for some reason KP is off limits.

Nice job explaining this.

Content accurate, OP needs to work on the delivery.

Why many here feel the need to "protect" KP is gratuitous.

• Like (+1) 3

I think what it comes down to here is that while most would agree that Kim Pegula is without qualification to be the President of the Buffalo Sabres, never mind several other large organizations in addition, and agree that she has done a very poor job as Sabres President, name calling is immature, classless, and actually takes focus away from the point being made.

• Like (+1) 5
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

10 hours ago, Brawndo said:

Really not wanting to be a part of this thread, but this post brings up a Q, as had not realized K Pegula was the president of pretty much all the organizations under the PSE umbrella.

Is PSE (or are any of the subsidiaries) a WBE or, if not, is it or are any subsidiaries applying for that status?

Edited by Taro T
  • Like (+1) 1

11 hours ago, I-90 W said:

Again:  as others have noted repeatedly, he wasn't wealthy when they married.  So the "younger women marrying older men for the their money" thing isn't supported by the facts here, regardless of how often you repeat it.

I don't see the relevance of him being her boss.

You are right that the age difference supports the notion of TP marrying a trophy wife.  It does not support the use of "grasping", which implies that she was a conniving and greedy person who targeted him for his money and who continues to take as much as possible.  I still haven't seen you or the OP introduce anything about KP that demonstrates her being that kind of person.  That's the problem here -- the blithe, unsupported leap to fairly serious accusations about her character that are based entirely on her demographics.

17 hours ago, Radar said:

Let's list your accomplishments. Then we'll have  base to go by. She's in the public eye. Seems only fair you go public.

Sure. I won an Emmy Award and was nominated for another and I didn't have to marry anybody. Now then, her accomplishments on her own are...?

Edited by Kong

23 hours ago, Broken Ankles said:

Did the phrase “grasping trophy wife” trigger the algorithm for PA’s auto-like?

It was an awesome rant. Trophy wife is more of a comment on Terry, I think. And I'm not sure who's doing the grasping. Ultimately, when you come in and near-destroy a cherished community treasure because you're trying to prove something to yourself or society/you have an ego as deep as the Marcellus Shale, all bets are off. Making mistakes is one thing. Continuing to do so is unforgivable. No benefit of the doubt is granted, no respect is due.

• Like (+1) 5
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 2

On 5/29/2021 at 9:15 PM, JoeSchmoe said:

Granato seemed to imply things were better in other markets.

You reap what you sow.

I remember reading somewhere that Buffalo is historically a tough crowd for performers/entertainers, especially those who don't do well. 

Edited by Kong

18 hours ago, Brawndo said:

Let’s compare the situation each is in 

Josh Allen was drafted in an organization that has a Front Office that is considered one of the best in the NFL. Most Beane’s   Assistants are on the fast track to being GMs themselves.  The Bills Coaching Staff has two coordinators that interviewed for HCs positions last offseason. They have surrounded Allen with the talent he needs to be successful.  

Beane spoke quite effusively about Allen the day He drafted him. 

Now imagine How Josh Allen would feel if he played for the New York Jets 

Compare this to Eichel’s First Experience with the Sabres. The Night of the 2015 Draft Lottery, Eichel finds out He is going to be a Sabre and less than 15 minutes later His Future GM is front of the Hockey Media bitching about the results. 

Jack spend most of His Rookie Season talking about how great having Jamie McGinn as a mentor has been. McGinn was traded for a 3rd Round Pick at the deadline, which was later used to trade for Jimmy Vesey’s Rights. 

Look at the turmoil of the Front Office in the the Six Years Eichel has been here. Not one has had a clue about how to build a winner. They have drafted poorly, made horrible Free Agent signings and even worse trades. He watched as the Sabres entire front office was completely nuked and replaced with people with minimal experience.  All while the Bills remain unscathed, yes I know the difference and that the NFL prints money so it’s easier not to have any changes, still it would piss me off if I was Jack. He has watched two good friends leave the Sabres and each win the Cup less than 12 months after doing so. 

The implication that Eichel does not strive for excellence and improvement on a daily basis is laughable. Jack comes back early to Buffalo before training camp, before the 2019-20 Season, He was at the here in the beginning of August skating with the players who were in town. He trains in the offseason with Adam Oates as well.  And when the entire organization was shut down for Covid, Jack rented ice 5 days a week at a local arena to practice by Himself as no players where allowed to be in contact with each other 

After six seasons of being with a franchise that seemingly lacks any direction and finished in the Bottom 10 including last place this year, I do not blame any player for wanting out.  The teams lack of success is on the front office and the owners who cannot get out of its own way. 

All good points.  The adversity Jack has faced definitely affects the comparison of the two.  The stability of the Bills organization could be the primary reason for success or it’s quite possible that it’s the leadership of Josh and his superior skill. Probably somewhere between.  And while the Sabres have had no success, is it not plausible  that Jack has contributed to the problems of the organization?  We know ownership and FO are definitely a factor.  It’s also not fair to paint a picture that Jack has not had complimentary pieces to help while Josh has.  Kane, Skinner and Hall to name a few.  As my comments were directed to what each player represents to their team at this very point in time, the addition of Diggs helped Josh achieve a third place finish in the MVP voting.  What did Hall do for Jack prior to the injury this year?  I know, it’s RFK and Hall’s fault.  Or Adam’s or Terry.  But definitely not Kim’s fault as we’ve established in this same thread.  Jack’s top finish in Hart voting was 8th in 2019, and this year was lackluster.  I know, injury suffered before camp. I’m curious as a medical doctor how you can be so defensive of Jack considering his recent wedge issue over surgery.  To me it’s abundantly clear he is obfuscating this issue and it’s all about him getting traded.  What is your professional opinion about the request for surgery?  Do you not except the Sabres Medical opinions based on fruit from a poisonous tree logic?  We probably will not come to agreement on Jack. A Captain, a leader should have integrity, perseverance and emotional intelligence to drive an organizations future success.  A player not in possession of these qualities when challenge would want to be traded.  

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Kong said:

Sure. I won an Emmy Award and was nominated for another and I didn't have to marry anybody. Now then, her accomplishments on her own are...?

Congratulations. That's quite an achievement. I think she is a smart women and have no reason to question her motives for her marriage. I don't likevthe way the franchise has operated under the Pegulas but it has nothing to do with her gender or integrity. I think you and I agree on the franchise but disagree on how we express our displeasure.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Radar said:

Congratulations. That's quite an achievement. I think she is a smart women and have no reason to question her motives for her marriage. I don't likevthe way the franchise has operated under the Pegulas but it has nothing to do with her gender or integrity. I think you and I agree on the franchise but disagree on how we express our displeasure.

Thanks but I don't think she's very smart. I think as far as President of the Sabres, at least, she's incompetent. Her body of work proves it out. I don't need to see anymore. But the Pegulas have doubled down on it when TP declared Kim president for life. Where does that leave the team and where does that leave us? As far as her marriage, I have to wonder if TP met her while still married. His former wife has been scrubbed from the internet. 

Edited by Kong

Wait just a second... Nah.

2 hours ago, Radar said:

What makes her smart?

• Like (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, PASabreFan said:

Wait just a second... Nah.

What makes her smart?

What makes someone dumb that's not good at everything? Why do men think women are gossips and fill their threads with gossip? Why is our country such a mess when for hunderds of years it's been run primarily by old white guys like me? Maybe because we're not all as smart as we think we are. Anyway do we need to be talking about their marriage?

Edited by Radar

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.