PSE Begins Discussions on Future of the Stadium and Arena Projects

Brawndo

1 hour ago, LGR4GM said:

It does not have to. You stop in Albany and Buffalo. That's all you do and ppl deal with it. This isn't normal rail service AND AGAIN cargo and freight are being completely ignored in both of your responses. Sure it might not make sense to go Toronto to Buffalo but you are making a hub in Buffalo to connect it to other places like NYC and Pittsburgh. 

Why is it stopping in Buffalo when the goal is a NYC-Toronto express?

Once you've answered that, consider that someone in Rochester or Syracuse is going to want the same thing.

1 hour ago, LGR4GM said:

It does not have to. You stop in Albany and Buffalo. That's all you do and ppl deal with it. This isn't normal rail service AND AGAIN cargo and freight are being completely ignored in both of your responses. Sure it might not make sense to go Toronto to Buffalo but you are making a hub in Buffalo to connect it to other places like NYC and Pittsburgh. 

Why is it stopping in Buffalo when the goal is a NYC-Toronto express?

Once you've answered that, consider that someone in Rochester or Syracuse is going to want the same thing.

• Thanks (+1) 1

39 minutes ago, Let's Go B-Lo said:

Think big. A tunnel from Youngstown NY to Toronto would be 33 miles long. The Channel Tunnel is 31 miles long.

I'll settle for a new Peace Bridge first though. I'll hold my breath and see if it helps.

A tunnel is an interesting idea, but I can't imagine it happening, mostly because the overland route is only another hour's drive.  The chunnel had no driving alternative at all, let alone a short-drive alternative.

45 minutes ago, mjd1001 said:

But Buffalo (or at least some parts of the suburbs) can be a 'stop along the way' on a route like NY city to Toronto or Boston to Toronto (or either of them to Boston)

I think the new High speed trains already running in China go from Shanghai to Beijing in under 4.5 hours. That is about 750 miles.  A route from NYC to toronto (minus the time for border crossing) would take about 3 total hours at the same rate.  Now, we all hear about new tracks, right of way...all the stuff that is likely not going to make that happen here in our life time....but if we could just MATCH the average route speed of that train in China...imagine a 2.5 hour train ride to NY city or Boston from Buffalo? Downtown Toronto in less than 30 minutes?  Imagine if 20-30 years ago the USA decided to apply itself to be a LEADER in high speed train technology and put the money into it?

Well, if Buffalo & other places are "stops along the way the train will never get to full speed.  And then the question becomes what's the justification for spending $B's (and likely $T's with any sort of reasonable footprint for the rail network) to marginally (at best) improve a single mode ft transport when there are minimum 3 other competing modes of transport & realistically more like a dozen when the details are looked at?

How about rather than put in high speed rail we spend money on upgrading the electrical grid or other infrastructure projects that will provide an actual return on investment?

Just now, Taro T said:

Well, if Buffalo & other places are "stops along the way the train will never get to full speed.  And then the question becomes what's the justification for spending $B's (and likely $T's with any sort of reasonable footprint for the rail network) to marginally (at best) improve a single mode ft transport when there are minimum 3 other competing modes of transport & realistically more like a dozen when the details are looked at?

How about rather than put in high speed rail we spend money on upgrading the electrical grid or other infrastructure projects that will provide an actual return on investment?

internet. 

1 minute ago, LGR4GM said:

internet. 

That may be another one.  But it needs to be done in an intelligent way.   What needs to be hardwired and what can be done wirelessly?

And, should that be publicly funded, privately funded, subsidized, or what versions of hybrids & where?

In 1 of the few things NYS did well, they installed myriad fiberoptic lines along the Thruway.  What's the proper next step?  And how does that get phased in so that the money that gets spent today doesn't serve a technology that is obsolete in 5 years?

Just now, LabattBlue said:

Since taxpayer money is probably going to fund at least half of any project, when will these “secret” studies for a new stadium and/or arena renovation be released to the public?

Sometime around Never. 

• Like (+1) 1

On 5/26/2021 at 9:10 AM, LGR4GM said:

Good. They shouldn't. If they haven't built a new border bridge they sure shouldn't be building a billionaire's pleasure palace for his billion dollar sports league. 

They're building a new one just south of Detroit. I hope it serves as a wake-up call to either fix or replace the Peace Bridge.

On 5/25/2021 at 5:54 PM, That Aud Smell said:

That’s been Carl Paladino’s long game. Dude owns scads of property down that way. He’s banking on it.

If I'm not mistaken, isn't he persona non grata for all intents and purposes?

On 5/25/2021 at 7:34 PM, LGR4GM said:

Yup. They want that family friendly atmosphere but it won't happen. Sure they'll be less tables broken but bars and things dt will be packed just like a college town. 

Just like back in the days of the Old Rockpile, right?

3 hours ago, Crosschecking said:

They're building a new one just south of Detroit. I hope it serves as a wake-up call to either fix or replace the Peace Bridge.

Doubt they'll replace the Peace Bridge / add another bridge in our lifetimes.  They had the money for it & pretty much all the necessary approvals ~30 years ago, but activists that wanted a "signature bridge" rather than the twin span killed the project.

Once again, the perfect became the enemy of the good.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Sad 1

On 5/26/2021 at 11:48 AM, Eleven said:

I used to take the train a lot.  As in, the stationmaster knew me by name.  Trains don't work like planes.  That train from NYC is going to stop, at the very least, in Westchester, Albany, Syracuse, Rochester, Buffalo, Niagara Falls, and Toronto.  There's not an opportunity to get up to speed.  Also, there's not an easy way to control who gets on and off, and what packages are loaded and unloaded, for customs/immigration/security purposes, without completely compromising what makes train travel convenient.

I can't believe you left out Rome. You know damn well that train stops there at least TWICE per week, in BOTH directions!

42 minutes ago, ubkev said:

I can't believe you left out Rome. You know damn well that train stops there at least TWICE per week, in BOTH directions!

It stops there at least twice per day and I have used that station many times for meetings at Turningstone!

Edited by Eleven
  • Haha (+1) 1

14 hours ago, Taro T said:

Doubt they'll replace the Peace Bridge / add another bridge in our lifetimes.  They had the money for it & pretty much all the necessary approvals ~30 years ago, but activists that wanted a "signature bridge" rather than the twin span killed the project.

Once again, the perfect became the enemy of the good.

IIRC, preservationists are such a strong lobby in BFLO. It wouldn't surprise me if they fought to the death to keep the Skyway, in spite of the overall consensus of its antiquity and uselessness. But, hey. If they can get rid of the notoriously dangerous Father Baker Bridge, then there's hope.

The plan to connect Rte 5 to the 190 via an industrial part of South Buffalo, and then take down the Skyway, has been around for a long time now.  

It’s not going to happen anytime in the next decade or two(probably never), no matter how many press conferences Higgins holds.  

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.