2021 Buffalo Bills

Brawndo

1 hour ago, dudacek said:

To me, lousy means - at best - below average. 
Horrible means right at the bottom or close to it.

The Bills have been around for what, 60 years? Where do Allen’s numbers rank on the all-time list of Bills QB seasons? How about the numbers of the offence, or the defence?

They’ve lost 6 games and 5 of them were by a TD or less. 

I can’t believe fans of the Bills, of all teams, have forgotten what lousy means.

The curse of raised expectations. Forces even the best of fans to lose perspective at times. 

1 hour ago, JujuFish said:

Moving goalposts? You're the one that cut back to 8 weeks.  Try again.

First post I found and he hasn't finished this year. 

Allen is basically the same as last year. You still haven't proven that to be incorrect. 

3 hours ago, JujuFish said:

He has worse numbers this year, against easier competition, with horrible red zone efficiency.

Overall his numbers this year are pretty close to last year. 

I will say that, given the contract Josh has earned and the baseline he has established, I'm disappointed that one or two of [Tennessee, Pittsburgh, Jacksonville, New England, Tampa Bay] did not end in a game winning drive for the Bills. You want your franchise QB to pull some of those games out. And we were right there in almost every single one of those games.

We are 0-5 in one score games, but were 5-1 in them last year. So I don't think Josh isn't clutch or something, and I think this can correct on its own just by getting bounces (or a flag when Diggs is mugged). The Chargers had the same thing happen between last year and this year. 

Comparing Josh's play last year to this year is also tricky. Teams routinely dared Josh to beat him all year long last year, we only saw the two-high safety shell sparingly compared to this season. He gladly obliged. He doesn't get treated anywhere near the same this year. The Jacksonville game was the epitome of this. they had 7 guys in coverage all day long while their 4 down linemen obliterated our OL every single play. There is a very easy way to beat this defensive strategy, especially in the red zone where space shrinks and they continue to drop LBs deep - run the ball up the gut, force them to bring guys into the box. But the film shows that every time we have tried to do this, from Pittsburgh and Tennessee games through NE/TB, the run-blocking and RBs can't get past the line on situations where the bare minimum should be 7+ yard gashes given defensive alignments. This has increased the confidence of these teams to continue to leave the box sparsely populated and the Bills have yet to be able to take advantage of it. There is basically nothing Josh and Daboll can do to get defensive looks like they did last year (and thus, a less-painful looking passing game) until they can scare defenses up the middle. And I think they've done everything they can to wring this out of the current roster. I think this is a personnel issue, bad guards and mediocre running backs.

Until this happens, likely through a good offseason of roster moves, we will continue to be passing the ball on Hard mode. 

This has actually made me appreciate Josh even more than I did last year. He is a unicorn. 

Edited by Randall Flagg
  • Like (+1) 3

Also I'm too lazy to go back a page and see who said this, but I do not care what "pass blocking grades" our line gets. A few of our linemen are decent pass blockers, but that doesn't matter when guys next to them are turnstiles both on the field and on the depth chart. Allen has been Houdini back there all season, and their inconsistency has implanted a merited, and impossible to quantify, jitter to his play back in the pocket, and this manifests in him being spooked when he does'nt need to be, which has affected his play. His magic in avoiding pressure also gives them a better look in the stats than they deserve. "Wow, the line gave allen 4.5 seconds to throw!" no, he had to bail the pocket before he could move to read 2 for the fifth play in a row

1 hour ago, JujuFish said:

Moving goalposts? You're the one that cut back to 8 weeks.  Try again.

Allen_Regression.thumb.png.6a493053b88a0a7efb133da6162d2f84.png

I am not even sure that is 1 standard deviation away from his average. He is a miniscule amount below last year, playing on team with a Frankenstein 0-line, a offensive coordinator who until last week was still in "beat everyone over the top and throw very little underneath" mode, and  defense that couldn't stop the run to save their lives because the line isn't big enough and the main linebacker isn't smart enough. 

Josh Allen is statistically very similar to last year but because he is a hair not as good, he can't overcome the deficiencies this roster has routinely. As Flagg noted, he went from being 5-1 in one score games to 1-5. Part of that is luck, part of that is him, part of that is the dumpster fire that he's lived in the last 5 games with that o and d line looking like swiss cheese 

Teams adjusted to Allen and Daboll has spent 90% of the year doing nothing to adjust back properly and that includes not using Gabe Davis more, ignoring underneath routes, and trying to force rb's to be better than they are (Zach Moss is bad). 

Edited by LGR4GM

On 12/24/2021 at 4:44 PM, LGR4GM said:

Allen_Regression.thumb.png.6a493053b88a0a7efb133da6162d2f84.png

I am not even sure that is 1 standard deviation away from his average. He is a miniscule amount below last year, playing on team with a Frankenstein 0-line, a offensive coordinator who until last week was still in "beat everyone over the top and throw very little underneath" mode, and  defense that couldn't stop the run to save their lives because the line isn't big enough and the main linebacker isn't smart enough. 

Josh Allen is statistically very similar to last year but because he is a hair not as good, he can't overcome the deficiencies this roster has routinely. As Flagg noted, he went from being 5-1 in one score games to 1-5. Part of that is luck, part of that is him, part of that is the dumpster fire that he's lived in the last 5 games with that o and d line looking like swiss cheese 

Teams adjusted to Allen and Daboll has spent 90% of the year doing nothing to adjust back properly and that includes not using Gabe Davis more, ignoring underneath routes, and trying to force rb's to be better than they are (Zach Moss is bad). 

Great post. I get the reluctance to use your franchise QB as RB1 but he’s their best runner by a mile.  Use him, I don’t know, sometimes?  Clearly 20,26 &22 aren’t getting it done, so use the guy leading the NFL in YPC. 

6 minutes ago, inkman said:

Great post. I get the reluctance to use your franchise QB as RB1 but he’s their best runner by a mile.  Use him, I don’t know, sometimes?  Clearly 20,26 &22 aren’t getting it done, so use the guy leading the NFL in YPC. 

Hopefully the foot injury is healing, but, otherwise, let him loose.  Hopefully, Daboll mixes things up today. You just know that Darth Hoodie will have some surprises for us.

Just now, nfreeman said:

Need to cash in here.  They can’t squander another possession with good field position against this team.  And they were pretty lucky on that 4th down pass to diggs, as the pats deflected it at the line.  

You have good eyes.  Didn’t realize it was tipped.  

Bills have to be the worst team insides the 10.  I’m sure that falls heavily on the OC. 

Ok - Go Bills! TD!! 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.