2021 NHL Draft Rankings

Brawndo

1 hour ago, Trettioåtta said:

We gutted out scouting department to save a few hundred thousand a year. I am not optimistic we will do well with this draft. I think we would be better trading picks for young players.

The only pick you can do that with is the first rounder. Also a team would have to want to move on from a guy they have developed because they think the draft pick will provide a better player. Tough sell. 

1 hour ago, Randall Flagg said:

So Beniers and who else are top 3?

Eklund, Clarke, Powers would all be in the convo. Some ppl love Hughes but he doesn't pop when I watch him... he's also stupid young for this draft class. 

4 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

Here is the consolidated rankings top 10. Note that some rankings haven't been updated since December so take them with a grain of salt. 

Consolidated_2021_March.thumb.png.c3a9bcd22d5da1fe7c8a8a124c711f37.png

Do Eklund and Beniers really have 1st overall value? Seems like a perfect year to trade the pick for Buffalo considering that potential draft board (D heavy), and sort of how far we've gone down this road already of picking at the top of the draft continually 

Edited by Thorny

13 minutes ago, Thorny said:

Do Eklund and Beniers really have 1st overall value? Seems like a perfect year to trade the pick for Buffalo considering that potential draft board (D heavy), and sort of how far we've gone down this road already of picking at the top of the draft continually 

I think they do have 1st overall value in this draft.

Also Beniers is exactly the type of guy that Buffalo needs, in my eyes.

2 minutes ago, Curt said:

I think they do have 1st overall value in this draft.

Also Beniers is exactly the type of guy that Buffalo needs, in my eyes.

Wasn't really my question though 

Where would Beniers go in last year's draft?

8 minutes ago, Thorny said:

3-10 most years probably.  Like a Turcotte, Zegras or Cozens in 2019, like a Rossi or Lundell in 2020.

But if you trade #1, it’s not like other teams don’t know what prospects are available.  They know it’s a weaker draft, and that will affect the trade value.

You aren’t trading a generic, average #1 overall.  You are trading the 2021 #1 overall.  Everyone knows it.

Edited by Curt
  • Like (+1) 1

Just now, Curt said:

3-10 most years probably.  Like a Turcotte or a Cozens in 2019, like a Rossi or Lundell in 2020.

But if you trade #1, it’s not like other teams don’t know what prospects are available.  They know it’s a weaker draft, and that will affect the trade value.

You aren’t trading a generic, average #1 overall.  You are trading the 2021 #1 overall.  Everyone knows it.

It only takes one, though. 

If there is a team out there that really likes a guy or 2 at the top of the board, they may be willing to pay a price reflective of your average 1st. It's something I'd be on the lookout for as it's a potential area to squeeze value. Not to mention certainty, and the benefit of a quicker timeline. 

In other years you always hear teams go on about how they'll "listen", but really what they are looking for is an offer just too good to turn down. In a year where the take you are searching for is "average" - finding a buyer might be a little more realistic. 

Particularly in a year you can only fall 2 spots.

The idea that a team (s) will highly value what amounts to a mystery box, potential 1 overall pick doesn't seem unlikely to me. 

36 minutes ago, Thorny said:

What's a #2 ROR style center worth too you?

What's a top line winger worth too you? 

Really all depends how you answer those questions. The next question is if I trade the pick alone, what can I get?

20 minutes ago, Thorny said:

In the 2020 draft? Before Lundell I think. They would have been comparable in several ways. I could see him going 5-7 in that draft considering his skillset. Eklund would have challenged for that range too. Holtz I believe plays with Eklund and has benefitted from it. 

• Thanks (+1) 1

Just now, LGR4GM said:

What's a #2 ROR style center worth too you?

What's a top line winger worth too you? 

Really all depends how you answer those questions. The next question is if I trade the pick alone, what can I get?

Well, those would more less be the ceilings, of course. And we always have to factor in timeline. Also realistically ROR is a 1C. But besides that..

Generally I'm open to the idea of a trade because there are solid, knowable positives in it - the certainty of knowing what you are getting, and the rate at which you get it. Generally you'd be sacrificing potential upside.

As I mentioned before, of course I'm not trading it just to trade it, but it might be a year where a team is a little bit more likely to get an offer worth taking. 

It's so tough to pass up on a strong consensus pick, and open yourself up to the scrutiny that would come with it. A GM may be more likely to go for it in a scenario there isn't a readily apparent "gotcha!" on the table 

6 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

In the 2020 draft? Before Lundell I think. They would have been comparable in several ways. I could see him going 5-7 in that draft considering his skillset. Eklund would have challenged for that range too. Holtz I believe plays with Eklund and has benefitted from it. 

Thanks, that's what I kinda thought. 

I'd be on the lookout for/hoping there's a team that has a player or two in the "1st overall any year" category. I'd say that's possible. Could be a trade partner. 

Edited by Thorny

7 minutes ago, Trettioåtta said:

22. It sounds like the Sabres are making some scouting changes. At the very least a shuffling, and then we see about external additions. Could be news on the assistant-GM front (Jason Karmanos very much a contender) this week.

From Friedman

Shuffling would be whatever, hope it's new additions 

26 minutes ago, steveoath said:

Does Hughes now drop into the 2nd round because of injury? Or does the name alone elevate his position?

https://theathletic.co.uk/2464036/2021/03/21/nhl-draft-news-2021-prospect-luke-hughes-injured/ 

It will have minimal or no impact on where he is drafted. My guess at worst 3-4 slots he slides. 

31 minutes ago, Thorny said:

Thanks, that's what I kinda thought. 

I'd be on the lookout for/hoping there's a team that has a player or two in the "1st overall any year" category. I'd say that's possible. Could be a trade partner. 

But why would they trade a talented player like that for a 1st. You would have to add to the 1st to get said player. 

10 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

It will have minimal or no impact on where he is drafted. My guess at worst 3-4 slots he slides. 

But why would they trade a talented player like that for a 1st. You would have to add to the 1st to get said player. 

He's too old now but I'm thinking in the mold of the years we heard a young RNH might be available. If a team wanted a redo and valued what could be a 1st overall like a regular 1st overall, we might we able to get a young player ready for a bigger role and sort of bypass the wait time.

Or maybe someone really needs a D prospect. The draft isn't weak for D, right? Could amount to a prospect swap, but we get a better forward. 

Edited by Thorny

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.