2021 NHL Draft Rankings

Brawndo

1 hour ago, #freejame said:

It wouldn’t surprise me. Last I saw he was a little bit behind the top three. I would hate to be the one to have to pull the trigger at 1, but I think if you’re going D, he’s the way to go. If they view a few d similarly then they should look to trade back as well. 

I wouldn't be going D at 1

2 hours ago, PerreaultForever said:

Why? 

We desperately need size and strength on D. 

I don't see the problem. 

Although Power is 6’5” 215, I think you’ll be disappointed if you are looking for a physical presence.  He’s a little more Tyler Myers than Rasmus Ristolainen.

7 minutes ago, Curt said:

Although Power is 6’5” 215, I think you’ll be disappointed if you are looking for a physical presence.  He’s a little more Tyler Myers than Rasmus Ristolainen.

That's the book on him. 

1 minute ago, steveoath said:

Surely if we can we go Berniers that's the pick?

Or Eklund. 

They bring different things

4 hours ago, Thorny said:

D-men don't go first overall very often. It's generally thought that at 1 you'll get better value if you are able to get that superstar forward

If Power went 1 he would be only the 4th dman to go 1st overall in the last 24 years. 

That 2 of those could be Buffalo would be so buffalo 

That may be so, but there is no superstar forward in this draft. Ekblad might not have been as good as Draisaitl but he's pretty good and very valuable now. Pronger was certainly better than Daigle 🙂  Scott Stevens wasn't picked first but should have been. 

This draft is a lot like the 2008 draft imo but without a Steve Stamkos in it. 

I want Drew Doughty or Alex Pietrangelo on the roster and not Cody Hodgson. Cause that too would be Buffalo. 

4 hours ago, LGR4GM said:

We don't. The only small defender in the entire system is Bryson. 

Also Brandt Clarke is 6'1" 181lbs currently so he is average size. If you are drafting anyone simply because they are 6'5" you are doing it wrong. If we draft 3rd or 4th overall, sure Powers is a real option but it shouldn't be based on his size. 

It's not just his size. That's simply part of it. But we fundamentally disagree about our current D. Not just size, but stength. One thing not discussed about Dahlin, but I've noticed it, is he isn't very strong. Everyone's concerned about his flashy offense and his skating and all the obvious visuals but where I see him really struggling is winning one on one battles, positioning himself and physically impeding or moving people near the front of our goal. He's absolutely hopeless against power forwards. 

I think the bottom line is we have different visions of what we think this team needs to be. You, I would suggest, want us to play with and beat Toronto at their own game, and I want to be able to beat Boston at theirs. 

2 hours ago, Curt said:

Well I've seen him compared to Dustin Byfuglien so I'm not sure about that. He's big for his age and should still add a lot of muscle. He is very good defending in front of his own net and is an excellent passer. I can see him developing into a perfect shutdown D man. It would be nice if he was right not left but then again, I'm not sure I don't want to trade Dahlin. 

2 hours ago, PerreaultForever said:

Well I've seen him compared to Dustin Byfuglien so I'm not sure about that. He's big for his age and should still add a lot of muscle. He is very good defending in front of his own net and is an excellent passer. I can see him developing into a perfect shutdown D man. It would be nice if he was right not left but then again, I'm not sure I don't want to trade Dahlin. 

Oh, I don’t think he has near the physical presence or mean streak as Byfuglien.  What I’ve seen on him is that he isn’t as strong or physical in battles as you would expect from a player his size.

He is generally described as an offense first D with great skater for his size and great transition ability.  I’ve generally seen him described as raw and unrefined when defending.  A high upside prospect, but one who will need a lot of development.

In short, I don’t think he has the intensity and attention to detail, relative to other prospects, that I want for the Sabres.  I reserve the right to change my mind after watching more though.

I will add that I have not watched extensive video on him.  I’m going mostly off of what I’ve seen written.

Edited by Curt
  • Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Curt said:

Oh, I don’t think he has near the physical presence or mean streak as Byfuglien.  What I’ve seen on him is that he isn’t as strong or physical in battles as you would expect from a player his size.

He is generally described as an offense first D with great skater for his size and great transition ability.  I’ve generally seen him described as raw and unrefined when defending.  A high upside prospect, but one who will need a lot of development.

In short, I don’t think he has the intensity and attention to detail, relative to other prospects, that I want for the Sabres.  I reserve the right to change my mind after watching more though.

I will add that I have not watched extensive video on him.  I’m going mostly off of what I’ve seen written.

Can/t say about the meanness but I've seen a number of rankings that have him #1 and I agree. We shall see. 

4 hours ago, PerreaultForever said:

It's not just his size. That's simply part of it. But we fundamentally disagree about our current D. Not just size, but stength. One thing not discussed about Dahlin, but I've noticed it, is he isn't very strong. Everyone's concerned about his flashy offense and his skating and all the obvious visuals but where I see him really struggling is winning one on one battles, positioning himself and physically impeding or moving people near the front of our goal. He's absolutely hopeless against power forwards. 

I think the bottom line is we have different visions of what we think this team needs to be. You, I would suggest, want us to play with and beat Toronto at their own game, and I want to be able to beat Boston at theirs. 

Then you want Eklund or Beniers. Both engage physically. 

You're smitten with Powers based on size. He's not super physical. He's very much in the Dahlin mold as a passer.

3 hours ago, PerreaultForever said:

He's not a shutdown defender

26 minutes ago, PerreaultForever said:

Can/t say about the meanness but I've seen a number of rankings that have him #1 and I agree. We shall see. 

McKenzie at tsn is the only ranking I know that has him #1.

2 hours ago, LGR4GM said:

Then you want Eklund or Beniers. Both engage physically. 

You're smitten with Powers based on size. He's not super physical. He's very much in the Dahlin mold as a passer.

He's not a shutdown defender

McKenzie at tsn is the only ranking I know that has him #1.

Cosentino @sportsnet also. There was another one, not sure what it was. 

I think his skill set and size will let him become that defender. He will need development as all D men do. 

I'd also like us to trade for another first and grab Schmidt in the 10 spot or so. If we'd had a slightly better season he'd be the guy I'd be advocating for as our first. 

3 hours ago, PerreaultForever said:

Cosentino @sportsnet also. There was another one, not sure what it was. 

I think his skill set and size will let him become that defender. He will need development as all D men do. 

I'd also like us to trade for another first and grab Schmidt in the 10 spot or so. If we'd had a slightly better season he'd be the guy I'd be advocating for as our first. 

Who’s Schmidt?

47 minutes ago, Curt said:

Who’s Schmidt?

Roman Schmidt USNTDP right handed defenceman. 

Very interested in seeing more of Mason McTavish (great Scottish surname!). Is he bit too similar to Casey though?

Eklund looks like a useful player also

Edited by steveoath

57 minutes ago, steveoath said:

Roman Schmidt USNTDP right handed defenceman. 

5 hours ago, PerreaultForever said:

Oh dang, I didn’t know this guy.  Looks like someone you can get at the end of the 1st or early 2nd if you really want him.  Looks to be ranked as a late 1st to early 3rd round pick most places.  Not a guy to take at 10.  Bad value probably.  I don’t hate the idea of taking a shot at a big RHD though.

Edited by Curt
  • Like (+1) 1

At first glance, if we were drafting by name only, I'm starting with this group of first rounders:

Brandt Clarke, Kent Johnson, Fabian Lysell, Sasha Pastujov, Xavier Bourgault, Nakita Chibrikov, Zachary L'Heureux, Chaz Lucius, Mason McTavish, Carson Lambos, Stanislav Svozil, Logan Stankoven and Scott Morrow.

Edited by ubkev

7 hours ago, PerreaultForever said:

You have logan Stanley syndrome. 

As for the bold... ***** no. They draft Schmidt in the first round and I'm becoming a Kraken fan. 

Edited by LGR4GM

18 minutes ago, Crusader1969 said:

I’m definitely leaning towards the forwards

nice thing about Berniers and Eklund is that competitiveness is one of their main attributes.   
Kent Johnson will be an interesting name to watch as well.  He is still skinny at the moment but is 6’1 and may be most talented of all. 

For me Johnson is the typical talented kid who just doesn't quite drive play. Lots of secondary assists for him. 

6 hours ago, Curt said:

Oh dang, I didn’t know this guy.  Looks like someone you can get at the end of the 1st or early 2nd if you really want him.  Looks to be ranked as a late 1st to early 3rd round pick most places.  Not a guy to take at 10.  Bad value probably.  I don’t hate the idea of taking a shot at a big RHD though.

He's a need pick for me. If he was there in the 2nd round he'd be my pick. 

4 hours ago, LGR4GM said:

Now you want to talk about Schmidt in early round 2, there's a case there. 

As a desperate need pick for changing the direction and character of this team I'd want to assure we got him so I'd pick a little early. But I was talking late 1st round, definitely 2nd. 10 is probably too high fair enough but if we get a late first rounder for Hall from a contender he's my pick. 

Edited by PerreaultForever

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.