Sabres interested in Chayka?

dudacek

1 hour ago, klos1963 said:

He's acquired 2 top end goalies, something JB couldn't do. He has a team that probably would have made the playoffs last season where not for injuries. He's not great, but he's built a pretty solid team. He's got the guts to go after someone like Hall.  They're a good club in a difficult conference.  He also acquired some nice assets for picking up salary cap problems from other teams,  all but one contract is off the books.

The trade for Raanta included Tony DeAngelo and #7 overall.   Now that #7 pick has not played out well for NY but would you trade a prospect #21 overall - say Joki, and this years #8 overall for a back up goaltender (low AAV not withstanding),  and a 50 point center who makes $7.1m (cap adjusted for Stepan)?  Stephan has quickly declined to a 30 point center and is now part of the cap Hell I was referring to.  They have $1.5m is space, $5.5m with Hossa on IR,  to sign 5 players.  That’s well below league average.  

Darcy K was a nice find.  Watched him play for the Kings a number of times.  But he got paid, so now they have $9m of their cap dedicated to the position for both players. 

Also the Pacific division was a consensus worst of all 4 divisions this year, and last.  If your argument is he’s better than JB I concede.  But that is such a low bar.  IMO, he has done nothing to warrant consideration for a top position with the Sabres organization.  

1 hour ago, Broken Ankles said:

The trade for Raanta included Tony DeAngelo and #7 overall.   Now that #7 pick has not played out well for NY but would you trade a prospect #21 overall - say Joki, and this years #8 overall for a back up goaltender (low AAV not withstanding),  and a 50 point center who makes $7.1m (cap adjusted for Stepan)?  Stephan has quickly declined to a 30 point center and is now part of the cap Hell I was referring to.  They have $1.5m is space, $5.5m with Hossa on IR,  to sign 5 players.  That’s well below league average.  

Darcy K was a nice find.  Watched him play for the Kings a number of times.  But he got paid, so now they have $9m of their cap dedicated to the position for both players. 

Also the Pacific division was a consensus worst of all 4 divisions this year, and last.  If your argument is he’s better than JB I concede.  But that is such a low bar.  IMO, he has done nothing to warrant consideration for a top position with the Sabres organization.  

Idk. The articles all say that he’s brilliant. 

1 hour ago, Broken Ankles said:

Never said he should have a top position in the Sabres organization. He helped put together a pretty solid team.  The Sabres are the worst organization in the league, he still would be an improvement.

After watching the Sabres, I will not criticize Chayka for spending on goaltending.  Raanta is a top goalie when healthy, Keumper was a surprise, but he's been solid.

Again, i never said he was great, but he had a good team here. He probably did give out too many big contracts to non top 6 forwards.

2 minutes ago, Andrew Amerk said:

Idk. The articles all say that he’s brilliant. 

I think the biggest criticism for him should be the contracts he gave out. He locked in young players too soon and paid too much.

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, Let's Go B-Lo said:

It's not? 

What would the benefit be to saying you are interested in Chayka now? It gets you embroiled in this ugliness first of all. If he signs elsewhere it's another black eye and neuters Adams publicly.

On top of that the Sabres could truthfully say they have not contacted him if the offer was from PSE to be the analytics guru for the whole organization.  I'd think there are only about 4 people who would know if that is what they were discussing. Terry, Kim, Beane, and Adams.

No it isn't. Chayka had to be allowed permission to talk to someone. That automatically makes the circle bigger. Botterill was and could be fired unilaterally by the owner without talking/consulting/asking/looking at anyone or anything else. 

Chayka would involve multiple orgs from the Bills to Bandits to Sabres to PSE in general. That isn't easy to cover especially when the Yotes also are involved and had to give permission. 

They weren't interested and the offer clearly was for somewhere else. 

1 minute ago, Let's Go B-Lo said:

Well, that's another whole heap of pressure on Kevyn Adams to not suck then.

Because he wasn't interested in a guy who has had very limited success in the NHL but uses analytics? I don't think so. Chayka is flawed and I am not concerned at all we weren't pursuing him. 

4 hours ago, Let's Go B-Lo said:

Well, that's another whole heap of pressure on Kevyn Adams to not suck then.

No, the pressure to not suck was not altered because the Pegulas were not interested in Chayka.  It existed before and after, just as it does for every GM at all times.

Clearly non of us read ESPN.

After it appeared things remained status quo for Chayka and the Coyotes, he told Meruelo that he wanted to leave for an opportunity with that team: a job that would be a step up from NHL GM, into a role overseeing aspects of other sports teams in the owner's portfolio.

According to an NHL source, that team was the New Jersey Devils, whose owners Josh Harris and David Blitzer own the Philadelphia 76ers, Crystal Palace FC, multiple minor league teams, an esports team and, potentially in the future, the New York Mets.

• Thanks (+1) 1

On 7/27/2020 at 8:50 PM, inkman said:

There are about 247 more I could post. It was everywhere. WITH NO GOOD ***** REASON.

Sabres Buzz and Ranting Ron...we're using them as sources now? <insert laughing crying emoji>

I can't think of two more annoying people on Sabres Twitter.

• Thanks (+1) 1

36 minutes ago, OhMyDahlin said:

Sabres Buzz and Ranting Ron...we're using them as sources now? <insert laughing crying emoji>

I can't think of two more annoying people on Sabres Twitter.

Nobody is using them as sources.  I was simply pointing out how many idiots were running with a story that had no foundation in reality.  

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.