Jump to content

OT: The Gardening Thread


Recommended Posts

Well it is that time of the year again. I thought about a club but I doubt there’s enough interest for that so here we are. 

My wife planted the raised bed garden this year. We have kale and celery that came up from last years roots. The kale actually never died off. We had growth way back in early March. 
 

Today’s PPE was simple and comfortable!

This little dandy is my irrigation station. My well water has a ph of 10 or higher so I run down to Bristol and get Canandaigua Lake water for the gardens. Under that upside down trash can is a jet pump with built in pressure tank. The banjo fitting for the tank is plumbed with pex through a back flow valve to keep the pressure on the tank. I just plug it into an extension cord and water away. The pool hose there also has a banjo fitting so I can easily and quickly flood the new trees in my little orchard. 

I’m trying a scarecrow in my unfenced garden in desperation. The crows have pulled hundreds of seedlings right out of the ground to get at that succulent endosperm. The popcorn and sunflowers were decimated so I replanted and put up the Ogre doppelgänger. These crows seem pretty smart so I’m hoping that this looks so much like a trick to them that they over-analyze and think that it’s a trap! I just need enough time so the roots are developed enough that they can’t pull them out.

We leave you with the sun setting over Baileyshire. 
 

 

85EB06BB-5DA0-47B5-9238-FE380BCBC963.jpeg

D8C56573-8763-4D47-BFF5-BDD0858D429C.jpeg

EDB12AAC-E3AB-4CD6-8B09-F5BE1B44A37D.jpeg

CC290AF4-BC00-455C-9E3F-02C9DD68A138.jpeg

  • Like (+1) 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Passing on a garden this year.  Except a few herbs.  With a likely move coming right around harvest time we've got too much to do for the added distraction.

  • Sad 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

I've got 3 red bell peppers, 2 big Bertha green bell peppers, 2 jalapeños, and a pimento. Beefsteak and best boy tomatoes. 2 cucumbers and 2 zucchini plants. The zucchini are really taking off and so are the jalapeños. I didn't do Roma tomatoes this year because I'd need a freaking field of them for the amount of sauce I make and I just don't have the room. Lots of Mexican and Italian food this summer. But that's pretty much year round.

  • Like (+1) 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, ubkev said:

I've got 3 red bell peppers, 2 big Bertha green bell peppers, 2 jalapeños, and a pimento. Beefsteak and best boy tomatoes. 2 cucumbers and 2 zucchini plants. The zucchini are really taking off and so are the jalapeños. I didn't do Roma tomatoes this year because I'd need a freaking field of them for the amount of sauce I make and I just don't have the room. Lots of Mexican and Italian food this summer. But that's pretty much year round.

Haberno, jalapeño, cilantro...must haves. 
 

Those beefsteaks make unbelievable sandwiches!

I did so well last year that I was able to give a lot of produce to the local churches to give out to the older folks that can’t git’r’done themselves anymore. I’ve expanded a little this year. Let’s hope I can get even more out there this year.
 

  • Like (+1) 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
32 minutes ago, Ogre said:

Haberno, jalapeño, cilantro...must haves. 
 

Those beefsteaks make unbelievable sandwiches!

I did so well last year that I was able to give a lot of produce to the local churches to give out to the older folks that can’t git’r’done themselves anymore. I’ve expanded a little this year. Let’s hope I can get even more out there this year.
 

While I don't think cilantro tastes like soap, (I guess that's a thing) I do not like it. Not a fan of cilantro heavy salsas and I leave it off my tacos. But I always have a couple herbs on the windowsill. Mostly basil and parsley. 

A couple years ago I had cherry tomatoes forever! They just kept on coming. It was great. Hopefully I have the same success this year with the big guys.

I'll probably only use 3 or 4 habaneros all summer, so I'll just snag em as I need em. Hate to have a good yield and have it go to waste.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/30/2020 at 9:42 PM, Ogre said:

Well it is that time of the year again. I thought about a club but I doubt there’s enough interest for that so here we are. 

My wife planted the raised bed garden this year. We have kale and celery that came up from last years roots. The kale actually never died off. We had growth way back in early March. 
 

Today’s PPE was simple and comfortable!

This little dandy is my irrigation station. My well water has a ph of 10 or higher so I run down to Bristol and get Canandaigua Lake water for the gardens. Under that upside down trash can is a jet pump with built in pressure tank. The banjo fitting for the tank is plumbed with pex through a back flow valve to keep the pressure on the tank. I just plug it into an extension cord and water away. The pool hose there also has a banjo fitting so I can easily and quickly flood the new trees in my little orchard. 

I’m trying a scarecrow in my unfenced garden in desperation. The crows have pulled hundreds of seedlings right out of the ground to get at that succulent endosperm. The popcorn and sunflowers were decimated so I replanted and put up the Ogre doppelgänger. These crows seem pretty smart so I’m hoping that this looks so much like a trick to them that they over-analyze and think that it’s a trap! I just need enough time so the roots are developed enough that they can’t pull them out.

We leave you with the sun setting over Baileyshire. 
 

 

85EB06BB-5DA0-47B5-9238-FE380BCBC963.jpeg

D8C56573-8763-4D47-BFF5-BDD0858D429C.jpeg

EDB12AAC-E3AB-4CD6-8B09-F5BE1B44A37D.jpeg

CC290AF4-BC00-455C-9E3F-02C9DD68A138.jpeg

How many acres do you have?

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
29 minutes ago, Crosschecking said:

How many acres do you have?

We have a family “compound”. Mrs iT and I have nine from an original 32 acre lot, her grandfather’s. My in-law’s house are some acres of woods apart from us. He had nine acres until “Papa” passed. (Really super awesome WW2 Vet). Her aunt (former Catholic Nun) lives in the original house. She’s a no-sh!t-taker so beware!
 

It is at an intersection of roads so we all have driveways on different roads. I’m very handy, which my FIL isn’t, which his father (Papa) was (Union Carpenter), so I’m the caretaker of the entire 32 acres now. As far as the eye sees in those photos IS Baileyshire.

Makes sense that I’d feel compelled to grow as much as I can and give it to all these less fortunate folks around here.....Eh?

Edited by Ogre
Less fortunate. Hard working folks around here.
Link to post
Share on other sites

While I’m here... 

This is how I do potatoes, Adirondack Blue this year.

When/if they grow enough I add a second tire and more soil. They’re balls-to-the-wall this year so... 

Take a sawzall and the cut the sidewall out of the tire so it doesn’t hold water and breed mosquitoes. Why pay to discard used tires?

2989C6D2-E8E3-4A99-B5C2-E5E992921973.jpeg

2507327D-5EFD-4CAE-AC46-43320AF2E286.jpeg

Link to post
Share on other sites

This is a North side berry garden. Blackberry and raspberry. The raspberries have a second crop at Thanksgiving just in time for a fresh pie. There’s a cat door in the basement widow so my two can come as go and kill off the mice that come for the berries.

2F6C0276-CF30-4CCC-BC76-A35DDDBE0099.jpeg

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

I built this to find a home for the single strawberry plant that my mother gave me before she passed. The mice gobbled them up pretty good last year but they come back and I’ve found a ton of little strawberry plots growing wild in the meadow so it’s working in accordance with someone’s plan.

F176F2D0-7F3C-4E42-8CA8-43536D417FD6.jpeg

Edited by Ogre
Oops...photo
Link to post
Share on other sites

Oh yeah, @Ogre! Well I got 6600 sq feet of land and most of that is the footprint of the house! Lol. Damn, I wish I had land! You really make me jealous. Every picture looks awesome.

Link to post
Share on other sites

@Ogre, fantastic!!

We are in the process of moving much of our 20+ year old perinial garden to the new house.  Including smallish rodos and magnolias, assorted trees, assorted bushes and such.  It's a pretty big job, but we are determined not to leave it all behind.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, SwampD said:

How do you get rid of G D chipmunks?!

Stop feeding them or get a Jack Russel Terrier.

Link to post
Share on other sites

A few years ago I built a greenhouse, but this year I decided I didn't need 8' walls, I just needed to keep the groundhogs out, so I broke it down to 3 feet. Growing 3 or 4 kinds of tomatoes, zucchini, honeynut squash, basil, oregano.

The blue bucket foreground is goldfish to provide some nitrogen, doesn't work as well as I had hoped, maybe I need more goldfish.

Tomatoes started to flower this week.

greenhouse.JPG

tomato.JPG

  • Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, New Scotland (NS) said:

Chipies are cute.  I saw one just this morning.  I named him Chippy Weasel.

No. They most certainly are not.

They have dug up the entire garden and are killing some of the plants.

And that ***** chirping! I have to going and chuck rocks at them to get them to stop.

It’s official. I’m a crazy old man at war with chipmunks.

***** devil imps.

  • Haha (+1) 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, SwampD said:

No. They most certainly are not.

They have dug up the entire garden and are killing some of the plants.

And that ***** chirping! I have to going and chuck rocks at them to get them to stop.

It’s official. I’m a crazy old man at war with chipmunks.

***** devil imps.

Hey man, I've got robins and grey catbirds nesting all over my back yard. Talk about chirping. Every bird in the neighborhood comes to my yard to wake me up starting at 5:30 every morning. Even the blue jays and Cardinals come by. The dogs took care of the sparrow's nest but I suppose they'll be back soon too. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, New Scotland (NS) said:

In other news ...

It's still winter in NS.  Really!!

Of course it it. I'm closer to Jacksonville than I am to you and I live in the northeast!

Edited by ubkev
  • Haha (+1) 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
×
×
  • Create New...