• Danny Briere
    • Miro Satan
    • Chris Drury
    • Stu Barnes
    • Derek Roy
    • Sam Reinhart
    • Other

54 minutes ago, New Scotland (NS) said:

@Pimlach, you of all people should keep it straight ... Mike is a Ramsey and Craig is a Ramsay.  I mean, really Punch!!

(insert that sticking your tongue out thingie here)

I spent all my time at the rink, playing, then coaching, then scouting.  Never had time to learn spellin’ 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, tom webster said:

In my opinion, this is a pretty good list save for one name. There is no way Ruff the player belongs. He peaked at 20 goals when people actually scored in the NHL. I don’t think he even belongs in the top 50.

It must have been removed, because I don't see it.  And you are 100% correct IMO.  Ruff was a bottom 6, bottom 2 player, depending on whether he played forward or D.

Update.  I plan to close the poll at around 8 pm

Housley leads with 10 votes

Big Dave comes next at 9.  Mike Ramsey has tied him

Then Craig Ramsay and Rene Robert are tied at 7.

If this is how the poll finishes, I give 7 to Housley, have Ramsey and Andreychuk tied at 8 and Rammer and Robert tied at 10.  

If someone wants to suggest an alternative let me know.  I hate ties, but I don't want the polls to go on forever either.

Food for thought

Forwards (GP, G, A, PTS, are for all skaters; G, A, Pts per game played are for forwards only)

Craig Ramsey - 2nd in games played, 6th in goals, 3rd in assists and 4th in pts in team history.  Won the Selke in 1985

Dave Andreychuk - 6th in games played, 3rd in goals, 2nd assists and 2nd in points, 5th in goals/gp and 10pts in pts/gp

Rene Robert - 28th in games played, but 9th in goals, 5th in assists, 6th in pts and 8th in goals/gp, and 5th in pts/gp

Don Luce - 7th in games, 11th in goals, 7th in assists and 7th in points

Vanek - 16th in games, 5th in goals, 11 in pts, 7th in goals/gp nad 12 in pts/gp

Pommers - 8th in games, 10th in goals, 8th in pts, 

Foligno - 11th in games, 7th in goals, 9th in points

Satan - 20th in games, but 8th in goals and 12th in points - lead the Sabres in scoring 6 straight years

Hawerchuk - 27th in games, 9th in assists, 16th in pts, but 2nd in assists/gp and 3rd in pts/gp

Turgeon - 24th in games, and 23rd in pts, but 5th in assists per game, and 8th in pts/gp.

Briere - 40th in pts, but 9th in goals/gp, 6th in assists/gp and 6th in pts/gp

Drury - 50th in pts, but 13th in pts/gp

Eichel - 33rd in pts, 16th in g/gp, 8th in a/gp and 11th in pts/gp

Defense  (GP, G, A, PTS, are for all skaters; G, A, Pts per game played are for defense only)

Mike Ramsey - 1st in games played by a d and 2 in pts by a D (229 behind Housley's 558)

Housley - 4th in games by a D and leads the D in every O category.  His 668 pts are 5th most of any Sabres skater and his 178 goals are 13th most by a skater

Schoenfeld - 7th in games by a D, 8th in pts, 3rd in PIM by a D and leadership unquestioned.

Zhitnik - 3rd in D games and 3rd in pts

Hajt - 2nd in D games and 7th in D pts

Korab - 10th in games, 4th in D goals, 6th in pts, 5th in Pims and had  the greatest nickname King Kong.  Also almost single-handedly destroyed the Russians.

Bodger - 17th in assists for all skaters and 29th in pts, 12th in game played by a D, but 3rd in assists per game and pts per game by a D. 4th overall in D pts.

Goalies (all stats just for them)

Miller 1st in games and wins, 2nd in shutouts and won 2009-10 Vezina

Edwards - 3rd in games, 3rd in wins, Vezina in 1979-80

Barrasso - 5th in wins and 5th in games,  Calder and Vezina in 83-84 and Jennings in 84-85

A couple of points;

Edwards won his Vezina when it was awarded to whatever team finished first in goals against so he shared it with Sauve and it was truly a team award.

In my opinion, he was a very good goalie who deserves consideration. On top of it, a truly great guy and a terrible personal story.

As for Drury, my favorite all time Sabre but he only played here three years. No way he can be considered above guys like Turgeon and Hawerchuk. And what’s more, not a doubt in my mind that he would tell you the same thing as well.

Edited by tom webster

14 minutes ago, tom webster said:

A couple of points;

Edwards won his Vezina when it was awarded to whatever team finished first in goals against so he shared it with Sauve and it was truly a team award.

In my opinion, he was a very good goalie who deserves consideration. On top of it, a truly great guy and a terrible personal story.

As for Drury, my favorite all time Sabre but he only played here three years. No way he can be considered above guys like Turgeon and Hawerchuk. And what’s more, not a doubt in my mind that he would tell you the same thing as well.

I agree on Drury except he really did help change the culture in Buffalo while he was here.  

Also do you have them ahead of guys like Vanek, Pommers, Mike Foligno and Luce who played the majority of their careers here and are much higher on the games and total scoring lists?  Also unlike Hawerchuk and Turgeon, Vanek, Pommers and Luce were key figures on the two of the high points for the franchise.

1 hour ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

I agree on Drury except he really did help change the culture in Buffalo while he was here.  

Also do you have them ahead of guys like Vanek, Pommers, Mike Foligno and Luce who played the majority of their careers here and are much higher on the games and total scoring lists?  Also unlike Hawerchuk and Turgeon, Vanek, Pommers and Luce were key figures on the two of the high points for the franchise.

Don Luce and Rammer were always joined at the hip and I would rate them close to equal.

my order would be

Luce

Turgeon

Hawechuk

Drury

Vanek

Pominville

Edited by tom webster

For what it’s worth I voted this time around for Miller, Luce, Schoenfeld and Foligno

The first three were obvious to me. Miller our best goalie not named Hasek.  Luce our best two way center. Schoenfeld the D who did everything. Great defensively, added O, was a warrior enforcer and leader.

The fourth was much harder. To me Vanek, Pommers, Briere, Eichel, Satan, Hawrchuk, Turgeon Drury and Foligno kind of all fall together in some order depending on what stats someone focuses on plus leadership.  To me Foligno as has the raw stats the longevity and leadership that put him just above the rest.  He also had a grit and physicality to his game that none of the other forwards in that group possess. 

• Like (+1) 1

Sabres Major award winners

Masterson - Luce (74-75), LaFontaine (94-95)

Calder - Perreault (70-71), Barrasso (83-84), Myers (09-10)

Selke - Ramsay (84-85), Peca (96-97)

Hart (MVP) - Hasek(2) (96-97 & 97-98)

King Clancy - Ray (98-99)

Lady Byng - Perreault (72-73)

NHL Foundation  Player Award - Ray (98-99) and Ryan Miller (09-10)

NHL Plus/Minus - Vanek (06-07)

Ted Lindsay (MVP by Players) - Hasek(2) (96-97 & 97-98)

Vezina (fewest goals) Edwards/Sauve (79-80)

Vezina (Top Goalie) - Barrasso (83-84), Hasek (6) (93-94, 94-95, 96-97, 97-98, 98-99, 2000-01), Miller (09-10)

Jennings (Fewest Goals) - Barrasso/Sauve (84-85), Hasek/Fuhr (93-94) and Hasek (2000-01).

NHL 1st & 2nd Team All-Stars (top players at their position as voted by the writers at year's end)

Barrasso 1st team (83-84), 2nd team (84-85)

Edwards 2nd team (2) - (77-78 & 79-80)

Gare - 2nd team (79-80)

Hasek (5) -1st team  (93-94, 94-95, 96-97, 97-98, 98-99)

LaFontaine - 2nd team (92-93)

Rick Martin (4) - 1st team (73-74 & 74-75), 2nd team (75-76 & 76-77)

Miller - 1st team (2009-10)

Mogilny - 2nd team (92-93)

Perreault (2) 2nd team (75-76 & 76-77)

Daren Puppa - 2nd team (89-90)

Rene Robert - 2nd team (74-75)

Schoenfeld - 2nd team (79-80)

Vanek - 2nd team (06-07)

All Star Games Selections

7- Perreault & Martin (plus Perreault was in the 79 Challenge Cup)

6 - Hasek

4- Mike Ramsey (plus Rendez-vous '87)

3 - Housley & Mogilny

2 - Schoenfeld (plus Challenge Cup '79), Robert, Korab, Gare, Hajt, Zhitnik, Satan, Campbell, Eichel

1 - Dave Dryden, Luce, C Ramsay, Desjardens, Edwards, Van Boxmeer, Barrasso, Ruuttu, Andreychuk, Puppa, Turgeon, Krupp, LaFontaine, Briere, Miller, Vanek, Pominville, Girgensons, ROR, Skinner and Okposo.

HOF

Perreault, Andreychuk, Hasek, Housley, Duff, Fuhr, Gillies, Hawerchuk, Horton, Housley & LaFontaine

Retired Numbers

2 - Horton, 7 - Rick Martin, 11 - Gilbert Perreault, 14 - Rene Robert, 16 Pat LaFontaine, 18 - Danny Gare and 39 - Dominik Hasek

On 10/19/2019 at 12:21 PM, tom webster said:

In my opinion, this is a pretty good list save for one name. There is no way Ruff the player belongs. He peaked at 20 goals when people actually scored in the NHL. I don’t think he even belongs in the top 50.

He probably doesn't belong in the top 50 as a player.  Great leader, great at attacking Billy Smith, good defensively, pretty average at everything else.

I'm beginning to think that Jim Schoenfeld is criminally underrated here on SS, but I haven't voted recently.

Edited by Eleven
  • Like (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, Eleven said:

He probably doesn't belong in the top 50 as a player.  Great leader, great at attacking Billy Smith, good defensively, pretty average at everything else.

I'm beginning to think that Jim Schoenfeld is criminally underrated here on SS, but I haven't voted recently.

So vote

Schoenfeld is our 3rd best D for now (Dahlin will likely be No.1 someday), but top 15 seems appropriate. 

Edited by GASabresIUFAN

1 hour ago, Eleven said:

It’s funny because I was thinking overrated

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.