Scandella, Pilut and Bailey - Sabres Next Season?

GASabresIUFAN

Sabres next Season?  

46 members have voted

1. 1. Marco Scandella - 2yrs left at $4.0 mill

• Remains with the Sabres.
    • Jbot trades him to get a top line winger
  2. 2. D Lawrence Pilut - signed 2 year ELC

• Makes the Sabres out of camp
    • Gets sent down to Roch for more development
  3. 3. LW/RW Justin Bailey (RFA)

• Signs a new contract and makes the Sabres out of camp
    • Signs a new contract, but gets returned to Roch to start the season
    • Signs a new contract, but is traded away
    • Rights are traded
    • Isn't offered a qualifying offer and becomes a UFA

IN: Eichel, Mittelstadt, Dahlin, Ullmark
In by poll: Bogo, Wilson, Guhle, Ristolainen, Baptiste & ROR

Out: Josefson, Pouliot, Nolan, Moulson and Gorges
Out by Poll: O’Regan & CJ Smith (minors), Larsson, Baloo, and Girgensons (trades), Lehner (Not Qualified)

New Poll:
1) Top Line defender Marco Scandella - Yes I know this one is a slam dunk
2) Swedish import - Lawrence Pilut - Read Greeley's comments below, they may change your mind
3) LW/RW Justin Bailey - Will the WIlliamsville native finally crack the lineup full time?

Greeley on Pilut. 

On Lawrence Pilut:

"Lawrence is a guy we were very excited to get. He played last year for HV71, he's been in that organization and in the top Swedish league since he was 18-years-old, which is impressive. He's a young kid, like a December 1995-born, which excited because it's a kid who can come into our organization and hopefully grow with it and be part of the core."

"He's a puck-moving defenseman who led that league in scoring. He gets up in the play, he moves it, he always has deception... He's a top-five to seven minutes played for a defenseman in that league. To me, he's a guy who is a little undersized, but his hockey sense, his hockey IQ is what has made him such a good player in Sweden, and a guy we're really excited to have come over."

Edited by GASabresIUFAN

Is Scandella the most likely partner for Dahlin?

That's who I'd pair him with (on the second paring to start the season at least), assuming they let him have his preference of playing his off hand side. Then I'd hope McCabe rebounds and I'd pair him with Ristolainen to do the heavy lifting.

Is Scandella the most likely partner for Dahlin?Hot take alert: Justin Bailey scores 15 goals in the NHL next year.

That's who I'd pair him with (on the second paring to start the season at least), assuming they let him have his preference of playing his off hand side. Then I'd hope McCabe rebounds and I'd pair him with Ristolainen to do the heavy lifting.

Bove puts Scandella w Dahlin in the article I attached to the Game Plan thread.

As to Pilut, if he doesn't make the top 6 I can see him getting sent down, but we don't know if he was guaranteed an NHL roster spot like Antipin was.

Edited by GASabresIUFAN

As to Pilut, if he doesn't make the top 6 I can see him getting sent down, but we don't know if he was guaranteed an NHL roster spot like Antipin was.

From the Greeley interview, I would say he’s not.

It wasn’t asked specifically, but Greeley said one of the things they like about him is he’s still young enough to develop - it’s not an NHL or bust situation. What I took from the interview was that Greeley wants him to start in Rochester to make the adjustment to North American ice.

Edited by dudacek

Dumb question, who is Greeley again? 

I expect Pilut to play in the NHL, but not right away. I hope he's a gem. Like Zaitsev before Zaitsev fell apart. 

Scandella will be relied on as a veteran leader and stabilizing presence on the back end. We may have two defenders better than him by the end of the season, which is real nice. I wouldn't mind a UFA signing to pair with him and help him shut things down so Risto can be more offensive. 

I don't expect much from Bailey, but hope he surprises.

Dumb question, who is Greeley again? 

I expect Pilut to play in the NHL, but not right away. I hope he's a gem. Like Zaitsev before Zaitsev fell apart. 

Scandella will be relied on as a veteran leader and stabilizing presence on the back end. We may have two defenders better than him by the end of the season, which is real nice. I wouldn't mind a UFA signing to pair with him and help him shut things down so Risto can be more offensive. 

I don't expect much from Bailey, but hope he surprises.

Greeley is our NHL Asst GM. Same level as Sexton, but Sexton is also the Amerks GM.

I was reading on Dobber a scouting report that made it clear why Otto wasn’t drafted. Was small, skating was a issue, shot wasn’t great, wasn’t physical and had issue in his own zone. Size and skating have improved. Still not physical but an excellent puck mover and can play in all zone and all situations.

Edited by GASabresIUFAN

After the recent signings and trades anyone still sure that Pilut is going to start the year in Rochester?  By adding Hickey, re-signing Redmond, MacWilliam and Atwal, to Borgen, Fedun and Tennyson, it seems the odds of Pilut and Guhle making the Sabres have increased significantly.

Also, now that Scandella's name has been added to the rumor mill, anyone re-thinking their vote?

Edited by GASabresIUFAN

After the recent signings and trades anyone still sure that Pilut is going to start the year in Rochester? By adding Hickey, re-signing Redmond, MacWilliam and Atwal, to Borgen, Fedun and Tennyson, it seems the odds of Pilut and Guhle making the Sabres have increased significantly.

Also, now that Scandella's name has been added to the rumor mill, anyone re-thinking their vote?

Rumor mill = the underside of my ballsack

After the recent signings and trades anyone still sure that Pilut is going to start the year in Rochester?  By adding Hickey, re-signing Redmond, MacWilliam and Atwal, to Borgen, Fedun and Tennyson, it seems the odds of Pilut and Guhle making the Sabres have increased significantly.

I don't think they are going to let an abundance of D in Rochester influence whether Pilut or Guhle or anyone else makes the Sabres' roster.  That would be the tail wagging the dog.

I think they are going to let a bunch of guys fight it out for slots 4-8, keep 1 or 2 extra in Buffalo as healthy scratches, and send whoever doesn't make it down to Rochester. 

I don't think they are going to let an abundance of D in Rochester influence whether Pilut or Guhle or anyone else makes the Sabres' roster.  That would be the tail wagging the dog.

I think they are going to let a bunch of guys fight it out for slots 4-8, keep 1 or 2 extra in Buffalo as healthy scratches, and send whoever doesn't make it down to Rochester.

Or rotate those 1or 2 to keep as incentive to work hard down in Rochester as a reward and see who is developing.

I'm really, really, really worried about Baily and Baptiste ever making the team full time. If they couldn't crack the lineup over the last couple years I just can't imagine they ever will.

Baptiste made the team this spring, IMO.

If he reports in good shape and motivated he’s in the starting lineup.

Bailey has what the Sabres need. It’s up to him to bring it every night.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.