The Reckoning: Botterill's Off-Season

LGR4GM

Yes, but he has to agree to an extension.

Absolutely.

Not a chance

Karlsson will turn 28 on May 31; Risto will turn 24 on October 27.

Karlsson put up 62 points in 71 games this year on a terrible team while working his way back from a very tough injury. 

Risto's cap hit is $5.4MM for 4 more seasons (after this one).  So he'll get a big UFA contract that starts in his age 28 season.  That contract will probably cost at least $6.5MM per year.

Karlsson will probably cost $10MM x 8 years.  So for the 1st 4 years, he'll cost $4.6MM more than Risto, and for the 2nd 4 years he'll cost $3.5MM more than Risto.

Of course, Karlsson's play could decline precipitously, especially during the back half of that contract.

Karlsson is still unquestionably a top-10 player in the NHL, and probably top-5.  Risto may or may not be a top-pairing defenseman.

I think if Karlsson is traded he will probably return more than Risto plus the #4 pick in the draft.

It’s hard to see a trade coming that people around here will be down on.

I’d say some still believe in Reino and Risto and won’t like either being dumped for a handful of “lesser” pieces.

And We’ve will be pissed at a ROR for futures deal.

But hockey trades? Sure, fill your boots.

By and large we’re willing to accept trading anyone short of Jack, at this point.

And some would even accept that.

*eye twitches*

Absolutely.

Karlsson put up 62 points in 71 games this year on a terrible team while working his way back from a very tough injury. 

Risto's cap hit is $5.4MM for 4 more seasons (after this one).  So he'll get a big UFA contract that starts in his age 28 season.  That contract will probably cost at least $6.5MM per year.

Karlsson will probably cost $10MM x 8 years.  So for the 1st 4 years, he'll cost $4.6MM more than Risto, and for the 2nd 4 years he'll cost $3.5MM more than Risto.

Of course, Karlsson's play could decline precipitously, especially during the back half of that contract.

Karlsson is still unquestionably a top-10 player in the NHL, and probably top-5.  Risto may or may not be a top-pairing defenseman.

I think if Karlsson is traded he will probably return more than Risto plus the #4 pick in the draft.

I want that pick. I believe Botterill will pick the right guy and whoever we get with this pick will be huge to this team going forward. If we get a defenseman, or a winger, than we have filled a massive whole. Moving Risto and this pick means we're trading 1 hole for 2 (yes, very funny). There are too many bad players on this team; the issue we have is depth, not star talent. We need to start garnering depth rather than just star power

Edited by Jokertecken

Absolutely.

Unless Karlsson ends up with concussion or knee problems I bet he is still in the NHL after Risto has retired  Guys that skate like Karlsson play at a high level forever.  I'd trade Risto to get him and not think twice about it.

Unless Karlsson ends up with concussion or knee problems I bet he is still in the NHL after Risto has retired  Guys that skate like Karlsson play at a high level forever.  I'd trade Risto to get him and not think twice about it.

It's the pick that's the important part. This is a great draft

Karlsson's brain should help him age well even if his skating declines. 

I'd be a little worried about deterioration versus declining, but I'd still throw something out there to try and get EK this summer.

Absolutely.

How bout we throw some cash at the other Carlson ? 

Karlsson's brain should help him age well even if his skating declines. 

I'd be a little worried about deterioration versus declining, but I'd still throw something out there to try and get EK this summer.

Skating-wise, Karlsson is in the realm Coffey, Housley, Bourque.  those guys just don't tail off.  I fully expect him to get all star consideration 8-10 years from now.

I don't think we are picking a hall of famer at 4.  Karlsson is going to be a Norris caliber defenseman for at least 5-6 more seasons.

But you're still depleting depth on a team already bereft of it

No offense to you intended here, but, f*ck the draft.

Karlsson is The Truth. Right now. And maybe for ten more years.

I get that mentality, I do, but after seeing Botterill snag Casey, I believe he'll make the right pick here

But you're still depleting depth on a team already bereft of it

It's a mind exercise cuz Karlsson ain't signing here, but who the hell have we got that we are worried about losing?  Last place 3 out out of 4 seasons.  I can count the players that we probably can't replace on the fingers of one hand, and have fingers left over.

It's a mind exercise cuz Karlsson ain't signing here, but who the hell have we got that we are worried about losing?  Last place 3 out out of 4 seasons.  I can count the players that we probably can't replace on the fingers of one hand, and have fingers left over.

I think Risto can be a very good 2nd pair guy, if not a 2nd guy on a top line. And, and I'll admit I'm assuming, that the top 4 pick hits and is a top line player/#1 pairing guy. Like d4rk said, Karlsson is a known commodity, and the pick is not. But I still don't think that trade really gets us anywhere. I think we have to hit on this pick

Skating-wise, Karlsson is in the realm Coffey, Housley, Bourque.  those guys just don't tail off.  I fully expect him to get all star consideration 8-10 years from now.

I take your word for it as I never got to see them, but between the scary achilles injury (which wasn't his fault at all) and that ankle thing he just feels like a guy whose knee is a ticking time bomb or something of that nature. 

That is unscientific and wouldn't stop me from trading for him (and hell yeah, I'd add a sizable amount to Risto to get him, assuming extension in place) but I still feel it.

I’m with Wild on this one, I do not want to give up assets, although I will admit for,Karlsson it’s awfully tempting.

Botterill is on record saying he wants to build through the draft and doesn’t what to part with the assets for teams are looking to acquire in exchange for immediate help

It sucks that Jack is playing on a last place team three years into his career, but GMTM traded 1sts to accelerate things and here we are.

Larsson, Girgensons, Bogosian, Moulson, Gorges... all should have been moved/waived/bought-out last summer. We all knew that... but JBOTs have everyone a clean slate. What swell thing to do, everybody gets a free pass. Now here we are one year behind on the rebuild because he didn't have the guts as a rookie GM to move veterans.

Larsson, Girgensons, Bogosian, Moulson, Gorges... all should have been moved/waived/bought-out last summer. We all knew that... but JBOTs have everyone a clean slate. What swell thing to do, everybody gets a free pass. Now here we are one year behind on the rebuild because he didn't have the guts as a rookie GM to move veterans.

I don't agree. Buying out some of then would have made it worse. Especially Gorges. Moulson was waived. Bogo can't be. Larsson and Zemgus I expect to be traded.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.