Sabres Goalie Watch

darksabre

I'm not paying Lehner $5mil.

I'm no CBA expert but I think we could qualify him at the same $4 million he earned this year. If he goes to arbitration and gets awarded something crazy we could always walk away at that point. I don't think he's worth $5 million either. Hell, I'd rather do what Huckleberry spitballed and lure Enroth back from the KHL. I just don't trust Johnson and a rookie in a non-tank season.

I'm no CBA expert but I think we could qualify him at the same $4 million he earned this year. If he goes to arbitration and gets awarded something crazy we could always walk away at that point. I don't think he's worth $5 million either. Hell, I'd rather do what Huckleberry spitballed and lure Enroth back from the KHL. I just don't trust Johnson and a rookie in a non-tank season.

You qualify him at his current salary, he walks to arbitration. The likelihood he settles for $4 million or gets no raise in arbitration is zero. Just let him walk, not worth the aggravation. And the possibility of having him on this team next year.

We could offer him that, I doubt he takes it. He'll take us to arbitration and we'll just let him go anyway. So I suspect we just skip that and don't qualify him.

I would be fine with bringing Enroth back. That's another guy who would be a good fit with Ullmark. 

Ullmark isn't a proven nhl goaltender yet so I doubt he simply gets handed the #1 spot and all the pressure that will go with it. I think that rumor that Lehner wanted to be traded was likely true and I think they tried but they weren't willing to simply give him away so he is here for now. I think they'll try to trade him again but likely won't get anything much so they won't. It'll be Ullmark and Lehner to start the year and they will let the best man win and play the most - likely Ullmark is defined as the new #1 by the deadline and they'll try to move Lehner yet again and maybe for real then if that scenario happens. All depends on how good Ullmark plays though. 

Only way I see that different is IF Lehner is viewed as some sort of bad influence. Then they'll want him as far away from Ullmark as possible and they'll dump him for whatever they can get.

Very much doubt Chad is here next year. That would scream desperation and failure to me.  

The rest of the team was also playing terribly, so I suspect CJ should get some slack for that.

I like him as a veteran mentor for Ullmark. I think Ullmark has a good mindset and I think he and Johnson could make a nice duo. Two positive, hardworking guys.

Chad is a great guy and a legitimate NHL backup, but don’t confuse character with talent.

Your Johnson case makes more sense if Ullmark were Lehner of three years ago.

That Lehner had more than 80 NHL starts. Ullmark has 22.

There’s no way Chad can play 50 games if Linus flops.

I think it's clear Lehner is not going to be. Think about it, he's the core of the stink that has shaped up to be GMTM's legacy. Lehner is the embodiment of everything Murray did wrong during the re-build: Overpaying for overvalued assets.

One of the greatest mysteries I see posted about on this board is the mythical "trade Lehner" theory. He is valueless.

Maybe I'm biased because he's my least favorite Sabre goalie I've ever seen play but I can't wait until he's done.

Chad is a great guy and a legitimate NHL backup, but don’t confuse character with talent.

Your Johnson case makes more sense if Ullmark were Lehner of three years ago.

That Lehner had more than 80 NHL starts. Ullmark has 22.

There’s no way Chad can play 50 games if Linus flops.

Precisely.

Eh, Johnson seems to like it here. Perhaps he takes another 1 year hiatus & then comes back to back up Ullmark once everybody joins MODO in believing that Linus not only can be the LT starter but will be/ is the LT starter.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.