Kane for Zuccarello - comment (?)

MODO Hockey

Not under contract for next year, barring re-singing him before 7/1, he walks. In theory this makes a player less valuable on the trade market than a similar player with term left on his contract, since the buying team has control of,the player longer.

I'd say that it makes him less valuable to a team that is rebuilding, as they would be looking for someone to help them going forward, rather than just a rental.  However, to many teams looking just for a rental, it might make him more valuable than if he had years left.  It all comes down to what the team wants the player for.  The Rangers, as sellers, are not going to be looking for rentals.  They will want what we want: picks, prospects and/or young players in the league.  Kane is not really any of those.

You havent seen Zucarella much...https://youtu.be/IjDI5LXK5lo

Yes, I've seen Zuccarello plenty.  I don't discount that he's not a great talent.  This team needs to stop adding players in their 30's who will be in the decline before we're in serious competition.  Trading the best rental on the market for a 30 something that may upgrade the talent pool, but deflate the purpose that this team is NOT GOOD. 

Edited by De Listig Ett

Yes, I've seen Zuccarello plenty. I don't discount that he's not a great talent. This team needs to stop adding players in their 30's who will be in the decline before we're in serious competition. Trading the best rental on the market for a 30 something that may upgrade the talent pool, but deflate the purpose that this team is NOT GOOD.

Outside of Pominville, who are all these players in their 30s they keep acquiring?

I wouldnt trade Zuch straight up. But as part of a package of Kane and Lehner for say a number 1, Zuch and a Grabner or a prospect... Problem is Sabres need a D prospect and not sure the Rangers want to let any go. They are rebuilding and looking for picks - or prospects themselves.

The Rangers have had 2 first round picks since 2012. Both of those were in 2017. Since I don't believe they would move those 2 and I doubt they move this years, that leaves almost nothing in their prospect pool I even want to discuss let alone actually trade for. I wouldn't trade Kane straight of Zuccarello because of his age and the Sabres desperate need to add young talent to their pipeline. Zuccarello is good but not at all what the Sabres need right now. Zuccarello would better be served on cup contender. 

Yes, I've seen Zuccarello plenty.  I don't discount that he's not a great talent.  This team needs to stop adding players in their 30's who will be in the decline before we're in serious competition.  Trading the best rental on the market for a 30 something that may upgrade the talent pool, but deflate the purpose that this team is NOT GOOD.

bit have those players that are going to be here when the team is in contention been born yet? Or at least started skating in timbit hockey?

All good teams have a mix of veterans and youth. You still need to ice a team every year and can't keep waiting foe that magical time when everything aligns and you can then add veterans.

bit have those players that are going to be here when the team is in contention been born yet? Or at least started skating in timbit hockey?

All good teams have a mix of veterans and youth. You still need to ice a team every year and can't keep waiting foe that magical time when everything aligns and you can then add veterans.

Yup.

As long as the contracts are decent, we should have a good amount of vets on the team,

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.