All Star Skills Competition, 1/27/18, 7:00pm, NBCSN

darksabre

Yeah, and as Buffalo fans we get sucked in.  Just like when Rex Ryan said, "We're going to build a bully."  We're so desperate for a winner we grab at every thread of hope.  And here the Sabres have won three in a row and we're doing it again.  Hope springs eternal.  There's always next year!

I don't believe in any Buffalo sports team anymore.  The Sabres 3 game win streak doesn't impress me. The Bills making the playoffs does not impress. The bills firing Dennison didn't impress me because it is what should have happened. Jack Eichel is the only Sabres player who has impressed me. Tre White for the Bills. I don't believe in Housley and Botterill until they earn that. 

Are we going to pretend that everyone wasn't doing back flips on that draft day? O'Reilly, Eichel and a potential franchise goalie, with Kane and Bogosian already here. It was the zenith of ZFG!

I remember a lot said they gave up too much for Lehner on that day.

I'll admit I had the rose colored glasses on with Murray.

Edited by Brawndo

I don't believe in any Buffalo sports team anymore.  The Sabres 3 game win streak doesn't impress me. The Bills making the playoffs does not impress. The bills firing Dennison didn't impress me because it is what should have happened. Jack Eichel is the only Sabres player who has impressed me. Tre White for the Bills. I don't believe in Housley and Botterill until they earn that. 

You're too young to be this realistic about Buffalo Sports (BS). :)

I still maintain pick 21 was a reasonable price for a young goalie you project as a long-term starter.

Unfortunately, it seems Lehner has not lived up to that projection.

That’s reasonable.

I would argue that on a team with minimal goal scoring when Brock Boeser, Colin White, Jack Roslovic and even Aho would have been on the board that going BPA was the best route and that was not Lehner or Samsonov.

The other thing GMTM should have known was that Lehner’s Volatile Personality was a potential problem in the locker room particularly when Kane had some questions coming from The Peg.

This and not taking Sergachev were bad moves that set this franchise back.

The Leafs seems to have hit the jackpot by trading the 30th Pick for Frederick Andersen.

Perhaps if GMTM wouldn’t have traded two seconds for Fasching or another second for Gorges, he could have used two of those picks to trade for a goaltender.

That’s reasonable.

I would argue that on a team with minimal goal scoring when Brock Boeser, Colin White, Jack Roslovic and even Aho would have been on the board that going BPA was the best route and that was not Lehner or Samsonov.

The other thing GMTM should have known was that Lehner’s Volatile Personality was a potential problem in the locker room particularly when Kane had some questions coming from The Peg.

This and not taking Sergachev were bad moves that set this franchise back.

The Leafs seems to have hit the jackpot by trading the 30th Pick for Frederick Andersen.

Perhaps if GMTM wouldn’t have traded two seconds for Fasching or another second for Gorges, he could have used two of those picks to trade for a goaltender.

Was anyone projecting scoring woes at the time of that trade with Sam, Jack, ROR, Okposo, and Kane on the roster though?  None of us projected this.

Did GMTM see a lot of himself in the players he wanted to build around? Evander is ZFG and so is Lehner. Bogosian, I dunno. ROR? All were unproven guys who needed a new address to prove what they could do. #heyitried

Edited by PASabreFan

Was anyone projecting scoring woes at the time of that trade with Sam, Jack, ROR, Okposo, and Kane on the roster though?  None of us projected this.

Okposo was signed July 1st, 2016.

And even Murray himself was talking about the depth in second half of the first round leading up to the draft.

Sure none of us could the scoring woes, but having as many offensive prospects in the system is a smart move to protect against this.

I know I’m probably Monday Morning Quarterbacking here, but I believe the better value for the 21st Pick would have been to select a forward rather than a goalie.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.