Lehner, doesn't track pucks well

LGR4GM

The Sabres are amongst the worst teams in the league in blocking shots, and takeaways. We give up the 6th most shots a game. Our PK is now 25th. We have the 3rd worst differential between scoring chances for and against and 3rd worst in high danger chances for and against.

While I’ll admit Lehner was certainly better last season, so were Price, Allen and Murray, who all have stats similar to Lehner this season.

Lehner may not be the long-term solution TM envisioned, he is the least of our worries.

I'd agree. We have bigger issues.

The Sabres are amongst the worst teams in the league in blocking shots, and takeaways. We give up the 6th most shots a game. Our PK is now 25th. We have the 3rd worst differential between scoring chances for and against and 3rd worst in high danger chances for and against.

While I’ll admit Lehner was certainly better last season, so were Price, Allen and Murray, who all have stats similar to Lehner this season.

Lehner may not be the long-term solution TM envisioned, he is the least of our worries.

I agree but I hate his attitude.

Do be fair, I don't think he's that bad on break-aways. :)

And after watching the Rangers game, I'm not sure he's bad at tracking the puck. On the third and fourth goals, he knew exactly where the puck was and was looking right at it. The problem was he was 4-5 feet from where he should have been and the net was empty.

Anatomy of a bad hockey team

GF - 102 - 31st

GA - 154 -29th

Differential - -52 - 30th

PP - 14% - 30th

Pk - 78.7% - 25th

Shots against - 32.8 - 26th

Shots for - 31.1 20th

Giveaways - 319 - 5th (yeah)

Takeaways - 241 - 30th

Blocks - 619 - 24th

Scoring chances for - 795 - 31st

Differential - 46.44% - 29th

High Danger chances for - 308 - 30th

Differential - 45.90 - 29th

And after watching the Rangers game, I'm not sure he's bad at tracking the puck. On the third and fourth goals, he knew exactly where the puck was and was looking right at it. The problem was he was 4-5 feet from where he should have been and the net was empty.

Tracking the puck isn't just knowing where it is.  It's doing something with the information.  If he's not reacting to the puck's movement to get to the right position, he's not tracking the puck well.

It's hard to say since the puck was deflected prior to hitting the boards, but I envision Ullmark moving with the deflection and upon realizing it was going to miss the net, pushing hard into the post.  Yeah, it's projecting, but he seemed to be much more actively moving in the crease in the game he played last week.  Not needless movement, necessary movement.  Lehner watches the puck fine but then doesn't position himself where the puck would dictate he be.

Anatomy of a bad hockey team

GF - 102 - 31st

GA - 154 -29th

Differential - -52 - 30th

PP - 14% - 30th

Pk - 78.7% - 25th

Shots against - 32.8 - 26th

Shots for - 31.1 20th

Giveaways - 319 - 5th (yeah)

Takeaways - 241 - 30th

Blocks - 619 - 24th

Scoring chances for - 795 - 31st

Differential - 46.44% - 29th

High Danger chances for - 308 - 30th

Differential - 45.90 - 29th

Yup, we suck. Lehner. Defense. Lack of offense. It's a show.

We'll see him on a different team come March 1st.  Not only did Botterill not extend him long term, but he didn't give him more than a year.  This will be Ullmark's crease next season. 

He's a pending RFA tho, not UFA.    I'd expect him to be around and battle Ullmark for the #1 spot.

Yup, we suck. Lehner. Defense. Lack of offense. It's a ###### show.

...and who's fault is that? 

What is the one thing in common between the goalie, the defense, and the forwards?

He's a pending RFA tho, not UFA.    I'd expect him to be around and battle Ullmark for the #1 spot.

...and who's fault is that? 

What is the one thing in common between the goalie, the defense, and the forwards?

Lack of talent across the board.

Well said! I agree that while Lehner has some glaring faults, if it wasn't for him, we'd have seen a ton of games like the Dallas one yesterday and then some posters would really acknowledge how brutal this club is under Phil. Lehner has kept us in games we had no business being in. I just hope this club makes serious progress before Ullmark gets here and has his confidence shattered. What has Phil done with the defensive scheme? Risto has totally regressed under Philly and that scares me.

Well said! I agree that while Lehner has some glaring faults, if it wasn't for him, we'd have seen a ton of games like the Dallas one yesterday and then some posters would really acknowledge how brutal this club is under Phil. Lehner has kept us in games we had no business being in. I just hope this club makes serious progress before Ullmark gets here and has his confidence shattered. What has Phil done with the defensive scheme? Risto has totally regressed under Philly and that scares me.

I've said it from day one, Risto just isn't very good defensively. If he isn't contribute offensively he's JAG IMO.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.