Robin Lehner: Passionate or paranoid?

PASabreFan

I'll go with paranoid. (Of course, it's said all goalies are nuts.) But that comment last night just can't be made, most of all because it's not true. I hope he gets fined. As fans we all have tipping points. If Lehner is back next season, I don't know if I can take it anymore.

But that comment last night just can't be made, most of all because it's not true.

A little help from WGR ...

Robin Lehner

On the goal being counted for the Islanders: "I know Toronto already made up their mind it was a goal before they shot the puck. It's just how it works in this league, I've seen a lot of saves like that that's just on the edge, that's  kind of to determine and they're so in a hurry to...blow it [dead] in the middle of the play, you know, it's just kind of unheard of. I guess it's something in Buffalo, Buffalo waters, you know, the Bills have that play last game, it's just...what it is."

On similar situations this season: "We played in Montreal, what is it, ten, fifteen games ago, [Carey] Price is having a shutout, we score a good goal and the league kind of take it away, they take it away it's a good goal, they take it away, he gets a shutout. It's just how the league works, unfortunate."

Edited by carpandean

This is more the money quote:

"Everything is predetermined against us," Lehner said in Barclays Center. "It's not to be sulking or anything. We're not where we want to be or anything like that. It's just how it is. It's just how it is. The Islanders are in a playoff spot, and it is what it is."

http://buffalonews.com/2017/12/27/upon-further-review-sabres-dealt-an-unfortunate-loss/

"Everything is predetermined against us," Lehner said in Barclays Center. "It's not to be sulking or anything. We're not where we want to be or anything like that. It's just how it is. It's just how it is. The Islanders are in a playoff spot, and it is what it is."

http://buffalonews.com/2017/12/27/upon-further-review-sabres-dealt-an-unfortunate-loss/

Seems like an English as second language quote to me.

I'm not sure he is wrong

I agree. The NHL bigwigs can't have small-market Buffalo in the playoffs, so clearly last night was two points we just couldn't have. Sixteen points out is way too close for comfort. And if you go to an Islanders message board, the fans there will certainly agree that they are a most favored team.

Yeah trade this guy immediately. Think we found the source of the whole 'Woe is me' attitude in that locker room

What a ###### loser. Trade him

I bet the owner liked it. And likes him. #mbga

Edited by PAnnySabreFan

I've been following the team since day 1 and pretty much agree with Lehner. The major leagues are against the Sabres and Bills. When the players aren't screwing up, bad luck comes in. When bad luck is delayed, Buffalo loses bad calls and endure no-calls and the only ones we get are the token calls. It is very depressing to fans and players that Buffalo always loses but to the NHL and NFL it's understandable. It's all about money.  There is no real money behind the Buffalo market on a national level. Leagues have to make money to survive. When push comes to shove, one way or another, Buffalo takes the bullet.  It looks to me that the current crop of Sabres players have pretty much submitted to this fatalism. Even when they play well, the luck and then the calls go against them. You have to look in the mirror and realize who we are and then you can put everything in perspective...We are the Washington Generals. We were born to lose. 

The more I think about it the more this quote pisses me off. What an absolute pathetic piece of garbage

Man, fans are fickle. We get mad when players spit out the same cookie-cutter stuff after games. We get mad when they don't.

Whatever. 

I like when the players talk trash, not when they bitch and moan and essentially say it's impossible to win in Buffalo

What insight? 

That Lehner and most fans are not too far apart on the concept of "because Buffalo". 

I mean, what if he's not the only player who buys into it like the fans do? Do other Sabres? Do Bills players think it's "a thing"? 

We talk about "culture" and what the meaning of One Buffalo is, and I can't stop thinking about Murray and Whaley sitting in a bar together after getting fired. You think those two were sitting there going "man this town is screwed up"?

Edited by mörksabre

That Lehner and most fans are not too far apart on the concept of "because Buffalo". 

I mean, what if he's not the only player who buys into it like the fans do? Do other Sabres? Do Bills players think it's "a thing"? 

We talk about "culture" and what the meaning of One Buffalo is, and I can't stop thinking about Murray and Whaley sitting in a bar together after getting fired. You think those two were sitting there going "man this town is screwed up"?

I believe it, which is exactly why we need to get people like that out of here. Draft Baker, and build a culture of winning in Rochester

Towns like this, all they take is one win to completely change everything around. 

I've been following the team since day 1 and pretty much agree with Lehner. The major leagues are against the Sabres and Bills. When the players aren't screwing up, bad luck comes in. When bad luck is delayed, Buffalo loses bad calls and endure no-calls and the only ones we get are the token calls. It is very depressing to fans and players that Buffalo always loses but to the NHL and NFL it's understandable. It's all about money.  There is no real money behind the Buffalo market on a national level. Leagues have to make money to survive. When push comes to shove, one way or another, Buffalo takes the bullet.  It looks to me that the current crop of Sabres players have pretty much submitted to this fatalism. Even when they play well, the luck and then the calls go against them. You have to look in the mirror and realize who we are and then you can put everything in perspective...We are the Washington Generals. We were born to lose. 

Kinda curious that the last two times we were good coincided with the team's financial woes, innit?

They probably were, but what else would you expect from two awful GMs? There's almost something satisfying about imagining those two idiots getting together and thinking "Whatever happened, that definitely wasn't OUR fault. Somebody must have cursed that city or something!"

Don't like Lehner's quote. I like passion and quotes that aren't cookie cutter, but he's veering into loser mentality with stuff like that. The puck also looked like it was in.

They probably were, but what else would you expect from two awful GMs? There's almost something satisfying about imagining those two idiots getting together and thinking "Whatever happened, that definitely wasn't OUR fault. Somebody must have cursed that city or something!"

Don't like Lehner's quote. I like passion and quotes that aren't cookie cutter, but he's veering into loser mentality with stuff like that. The puck also looked like it was in.

It's for sure loser mentality. But we just got over a weekend where everyone was calling on Pegula to wag his dick at the league over the Bills TD callback, so I gotta think he was channeling that a bit. Gotta think he watched the game and it was part of the locker room talk. 

My suggestion to Robin is to do like the rest of us: turn the Bills off.  :P

This is embarrassing. Lehner should use his inside voice when he's about to say something stupid and perhaps play it back in his mind before he lays it out for everyone else to hear. This moron has no filter. I can understand emotion getting in the way but he had time to actually think about it and he still put it out there. Accepting responsibility for your actions is the first step to improving and getting better but with this team its all about looking at someone else and blaming them. This starts at the top and works its way down like a wet fart. And now the fans are doing it with this because Buffalo bullspit. This franchise just sucks and there's no way around it. Start taking the steps to get better and stop blaming everyone else. 

But the Sabres haven't lost. The last I looked they were in the vicinity of seventh overall in all-time win percentage among NHL franchises. They could have several Cups to their name (they have won many Cusps). Maybe two or three with Lindy and Darcy alone. Unless you want to argue that the NHL let them get that close, then pulled the rug out from under them, the theory doesn't hold water.

Yowza. I just can't go here. If I believed this, I'd have to quit. I bristle when someone asks, "Why do you follow the Sabres if they make you that unhappy?" I find the following question perfectly fair: "Why do you follow the Sabres if the league is rigged against them?" That's WWF territory.

The question of whether players buy into this is another thing, and it's terrifying to me that just one player believes it. That's your losing culture, folks. It has to be wiped out. I recently asked "What's wrong with Dad?" I never imagined it could be something as weird as this, but maybe Gregory House finally found the tick in the v agina.

Edited by PAnnySabreFan

But the Sabres haven't lost. The last I looked they were in the vicinity of seventh overall in all-time win percentage among NHL franchises. They could have several Cups to their name (they have won many Cusps). Maybe two or three with Lindy and Darcy alone. Unless you want to argue that the NHL let them get that close, then pulled the rug out from under them, the theory doesn't hold water.

Yowza. I just can't go here. If I believed this, I'd have to quit. I bristle when someone asks, "Why do you follow the Sabres if they make you that unhappy?" I find the following question perfectly fair: "Why do you follow the Sabres if the league is rigged against them?" That's WWF territory.

The question of whether players buy into this is another thing, and it's terrifying to me that just one player believes it. That's your losing culture, folks. It has to be wiped out. I recently asked "What's wrong with Dad?" I never imagined it could be something as weird as this, but maybe Gregory House finally found the tick in the v agina.

Yup. That's the thing here. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.