Potential Drafted College Free Agents

Crusader1969

It's a great sentiment and I agree we need more talent, but we also have to be mindful of the organizational contract limit.  

We currently have 46 contracts on the books, 23 in buffalo and 23 in the AHL and Jrs (Pu).  Of those 46, we currently have 12 in the NHL for next year, plus 14 in the minors.  We also have 13 RFAs of which I think we'll re-sign at least 7 (Smith, Bailey, Baptiste, Nelson, Fasching, Reinhart, and Wilcox) and as many as 12 (Lehner, Wilson, Antipin, Malone and Griffith).  Only Kasdorf will almost certainly be gone.  That is as many as 38 contracts already accounted for.

Now add Mittelstadt, our 1st pick this year, Olofsson, Asplund, Fitzgerald and Borgen and we are at 44 contracts without the NHL team being completed. 

That doesn't leave much room for adding to many college FAs.  I do agree that given Jbot's history that he is likely to add someone, but he can't add many.  

Yea but at most we will get 2. College UFAs have tons of suitors. 

Really impressed by the 2 seniors who play for Northeastern tonight in winning the beanpot.

Nolan Stevens had a nice goal tonight (20th of season. His is a big bodied forward who is currently property of the Blues.

Dylan Sikura is smaller forward and has become one of the Black Hawks top prospects. Reports are that he isn't convinced to sign with chicago and could test free agency.

https://www.secondcityhockey.com/2018/2/12/17004098/dylan-sikura-signing-chicago-blackhawks-northeastern-nhl-free-agency-2018

From Elliotte's 31 thoughts, further confirmation that Sikura may test free agency. Plus, a few more names to keep an eye on this summer.

Canucks prospect Adam Gaudette had a hat trick as Northeastern won the Beanpot for the first time in 30 years. While Vancouver fans salivate at the possibility of him joining them following this, his junior season, he has one more year before they really start sweating. Teammate Dylan Sikura, who had two assists, is on the clock, with the opportunity for free agency Aug. 15 if he doesn’t sign in Chicago. There are a lot of contradictory rumours, but the Blackhawks will do what is necessary.

According to NHL clubs, the number of potential August free agents is higher than normal, although there are different opinions on how many are worth chasing. Of course, some teams may decide to let players loose.

29. Just some names to keep an eye on, with NHL team followed by school: Brian Pinho (Washington/Providence), Ryan Donato (Boston/Harvard), Anthony Angello (Pittsburgh/Cornell), Louis Belpedio (Minnesota/Miami), David Pope (Detroit/Nebraska-Omaha), CJ Suess (Winnipeg/Minnesota St.), Jake Evans (Montreal/Notre Dame), Brandon Hickey (Arizona/Boston University — traded to the Coyotes in the Mike Smith deal), Nolan Vesey (Toronto/Maine) and Nolan Stevens (St. Louis/Northeastern). The latter Nolan, John Stevens’s son, scored a beauty in the Beanpot final.

How is Will Borgen not in that snippet? I can't see him signing here.

Why do you think this? We are the only team that can burn a year of his ELC and we have an immediate need for D.

Besides Petersen, which of our college guys hasn’t signed here? How many college FAs have signed here and found success? Nelson, ERod, Smith, and Schaller all come to mind. Schaller has become a mainstay in Boston, and the other 3 could all be on the Sabres roster next season. Remember TM traded for Vesey’s rights and it was a gamble worth taking.

Petersen probably made the right decision given Lehner’s age, and the development of Ullmark and Johansson behind him.

Edited by GASabresIUFAN

Why do you think this? We are the only team that can burn a year of his ELC and we have an immediate need for D.

Besides Petersen, which of our college guys hasn’t signed here? How many college FAs have signed here and found success? Nelson, ERod, Smith, and Schaller all come to mind. Schaller has become a mainstay in Boston, and the other 3 could all be on the Sabres roster next season. Remember TM traded for Vesey’s rights and it was a gamble worth taking.

Petersen probably made the right decision given Lehner’s age, and the development of Ullmark and Johansson behind him.

Can't remember what it was that I read regarding Borgen.  It was discussed at length here.  There was a strong hint that FA status was in his plan.

I have read at least four interviews with Borgen where he deflects the question about signing with Buffalo and talks about how he intends to get his degree. There is far more smoke there than we ever saw with Petersen by the time he was a junior.

Agree that Buffalo makes sense for him, but he may be a Vesey who has a specific spot in mind.

Let's talk about Vesey. Thusfar, his career stats are almost exactly Scott Wilson's. Again, XGMTM gave up way too much, not for a JAG, but the chance to sign a JAG.

The continued focus on college players astounds me. Absent the exceptions to the rule (Eichel, out Lord and Savior Casey M.) college guys seem to have a uniformly low ceiling. Absent outside factors, were the only decision what is best for a kid to play pro hockey, the kid always plays junior. You can pepper the bottom six/two with them, but let's be honest, the best and brightest, at least in hockey, for the most part, don't go to college.

Let's talk about Vesey. Thusfar, his career stats are almost exactly Scott Wilson's. Again, XGMTM gave up way too much, not for a JAG, but the chance to sign a JAG.

The continued focus on college players astounds me. Absent the exceptions to the rule (Eichel, out Lord and Savior Casey M.) college guys seem to have a uniformly low ceiling. Absent outside factors, were the only decision what is best for a kid to play pro hockey, the kid always plays junior. You can pepper the bottom six/two with them, but let's be honest, the best and brightest, at least in hockey, for the most part, don't go to college.

Maybe 20 years ago, but not anymore. 

Without looking it up, do you even know who they drafted with that pick?

I disagree about college ufa's and college players in general.

Maybe 20 years ago, but not anymore. 

I'll take on board that the standard and players coming out of college hockey have improved, but I still find the focus on and investment into college players disproportionate to the outcomes (Again, other than the blindingly obvious outliers)

Without looking it up, do you even know who they drafted with that pick?

I disagree about college ufa's and college players in general.

Not a clue.  The draft pick, in and of itself is not the issue in a vacuum.  As one of the far too many a certain former GM dished out for a less than adequate return, well, that's the problem.  The guy who might be a JAG if he's lucky the Sabres could have drafted would be preferable to the nothing that ended up coming back.

I'll take on board that the standard and players coming out of college hockey have improved, but I still find the focus on and investment into college players disproportionate to the outcomes (Again, other than the blindingly obvious outliers)

Not a clue.  The draft pick, in and of itself is not the issue in a vacuum.  As one of the far too many a certain former GM dished out for a less than adequate return, well, that's the problem.  The guy who might be a JAG if he's lucky the Sabres could have drafted would be preferable to the nothing that ended up coming back.

This is all hindsight. It was a 3rd round pick in a 3rd round where we had 3 picks. We drafted Pu and Fitzgerald in the 3rd of the 2016 draft. Spending the 76th overall pick for an exclusive 3 month window for a potential top 6 winger was actually one of Murray's better ideas. 

What are you comparing college players to when you say " I still find the focus on and investment into college players disproportionate to the outcomes"?

You know the funny thing, I had to look it up, but that pick turned into Rem Pitlick. Rem plays alongside Casey Mittlestadt in college. 

What are you comparing college players to when you say " I still find the focus on and investment into college players disproportionate to the outcomes"?

I don't think this was the best way to state this by me.  If a dude is good you draft him.  If a dude hits free agency and can help you, then sign him.  The situation with College players not having to go back into the draft gives them leverage, and I think that there is a perception that college UFAs in general have some sort of value above and beyond other players at the same age, when other players at that age have been playing pro for a couple of years by then.

I don't think this was the best way to state this by me.  If a dude is good you draft him.  If a dude hits free agency and can help you, then sign him.  The situation with College players not having to go back into the draft gives them leverage, and I think that there is a perception that college UFAs in general have some sort of value above and beyond other players at the same age, when other players at that age have been playing pro for a couple of years by then.

That's because there aren't other players that age who are UFA's. There are a couple of Euros here and there but the NCAA has a bunch of players who become UFA's either undrafted or because of the 4 year loophole. Those other players you reference are typically controlled by teams and in the AHL. If Nic Baptiste was a 4th year college kid, teams would be after him.  Because trading a 3rd or 4th round pick for a 22 year old who you basically know what you are getting, makes the most sense. Since there are so few, it inflates the market. 

It appears that in the last 20 years college players have risen in the ranks as marketable assets. The way of valuing them and how to handle them as prospects has grow out dated as more kids go to college (which should not be deterred). 

Seems an updated RFA/UFA set rules is in need.

They need to change the rule so that if you go 4 years and don't sign with your drafted team, you have to sit out 1 year before you become a UFA. 

They need to change the rule so that if you go 4 years and don't sign with your drafted team, you have to sit out 1 year before you become a UFA.

Supposedly the NHLPA fought hard to keep the rules the way they are. I think a reasonable change that they might accept is letting the team with the player's rights offer a better contract than what they'd get as a UFA (similar to NHL UFAs now). So either a longer term or more money. That way there's extra incentive for the player to sign with the team that drafted them (or traded for their rights) but the team would have to lean in too, and players could still opt to go their own way.

Supposedly the NHLPA fought hard to keep the rules the way they are. I think a reasonable change that they might accept is letting the team with the player's rights offer a better contract than what they'd get as a UFA (similar to NHL UFAs now). So either a longer term or more money. That way there's extra incentive for the player to sign with the team that drafted them (or traded for their rights) but the team would have to lean in too, and players could still opt to go their own way.

How about a compensatory draft pick equal to the value of contract signed? Most ELCs are slotted/paid based upon the players draft position, but teams can pay more. Lets take Borgen for example. He was a 4th rd pick, but if someone signs him to a deal with 1st rd money, we’d get at least a 2nd rd pick as compensation. This can be done with by the NHL giving us a pick at the end of the 2nd rd or better yet, just like a team signing a player to an offer sheet, we’d get their 2nd rd pick.

From hockey news 5'prospects to know

Dylan Sikura, RW, Northeastern University Huskies (Hockey East) – I’ve given Gaudette a lot of pub this season, so let’s share the love for Sikura, a silky playmaker who had two points of his own in the Beanpot final. Gaudette’s linemate, Sikura is a Chicago Blackhawks pick who is attracting a lot of attention right now – and with good reason. NHL arrival: 2018-19 (though there’s a chance he gets into a game this year)

• 3 weeks later...
This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.