Potential Drafted College Free Agents

Crusader1969

This is not a list in any particular order. I will add players as I find NCAA seniors who were drafted in 2013 to 2015.

1) David Pope - LW 6'3 200lbs U Nebraska-Omaha
Drafted by Detroit 4th Round

http://www.eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=57035

August 2017 – After a disappointing sophomore season at the University of Nebraska-Omaha, where he had four goals and eight points in 31 games, Pope broke out last season with 13 goals and 31 points in 34 games. He showed a lot of progress in his overall game and he is learning to use his size to his advantage but his skating, although it has gotten better, still needs some work. Unless he signs a contract with Detroit before the season starts, Pope will return to university for his senior year. The Red Wings own Pope’s rights until 30 days after he leaves school, so he will need to build on last season and continue to progress if he hopes to earn a pro contract. Jameson Ewasiuk
Current Season 15GP 8G 7A.

2) Terrance Amorosa - LHD 6'2 205lbs Clarkson U
Drafted by Philadelphia Rd 5 2013 NHL Draft

http://www.eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=248322

Observations:
September 2017 – Terrance Amorosa is expected to suit up for the Friars of Providence College this coming season. It would be good to see if his offensive game can take another step forward after making recent improvements in the way of making himself more well-rounded. Being more reliable defensively should allow for the possibility for more experimentation with the puck on his stick. Edric Joseph
Current Season 19GP 4G 12A

3) Brian Pinho - C 6'1 185lbs Providence
Drafted by Washington RD 6 2013 NHL Draft

http://www.eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=132024

September 2017 –The 2013 sixth round pick has been improving every year for the Capitals in Providence College, with seasons of 18, 25 and most recently 40 points in 39 games. Pinho is not a big goal scorer as he prefers to distribute the puck than shoot it, but considering that is a majority of Capitals prospects in the system he should look to shoot more in his final year of College. The 174th pick in the 2013 draft has for exceeded his draft ranking to become a legitimate prospect for the Capitals. He will finish his final year in the NCAA and after that the Capitals will hope to sign him or he will make another team very happy with the depth he can bring. Pat Quinn
Current Season 18GP

4) Brandon Hickey - LHD 6'2 188lbs Boston U
Drafted by Calgary 2nd Round 2014 NHL Draft

http://www.eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=64587

June 2017- Hickey's rights have been traded to the Arizona Coyotes as part of a blockbuster deal that saw him, a conditional third-round pick (becomes a second-round pick if Flames make playoff's) and Chad Johnson for goalie Mike Smith. Hickey joins a budding but not very deep defenseman prospect pool in Arizona while leaving Calagry's that saw him buried behind blueliners like Oliver Kylington, Rasmus Anderson, Adam Fox and Brett Kulak. He plans on playing his senior year this coming season at BU, where Hickey has been named team captain. Keith Duggan

5) Jack Glover - RHD 6'3 190lbs Minnesota
Drafted by Winnipeg 3rd round 2014 NHL draft

http://www.eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=168703

October 2017 - Glover returned to Minnesota for his senior year and currently has one assist through six games. The 21-year-old still remains without a contract offer by the Jets and will become a free agent after he graduates this year. - Jamie Zadow
Current season 16GP 0G 3A

6) Shane Eiserman C 6'1 190lbs
Drafted by Ottawa 4th Round 2014 NHL Draft

http://www.eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=177720

June 2017 - The University of New Hampshire product has been nothing if not consistent during his three years in college putting up point totals of 15, 13 and 13. His was on pace to establish a career high in points but missed eight games due to a knee injury. At various points he's said he tried to model his game after Wayne Simmonds and James Van Riemsdyk although you wouldn't know it by looking at the numbers as he's managed just 16 goals in 95 NCAA games. Those aren't exactly numbers that scream goal scoring power forward. Eiserman has some speed and would do well to shoot the puck more, averaging just 1.52 shots/game which was one of the lowest marks on the Wildcats. Assuming he doesn't win the Hobey Baker this year it's unlikely the Sens will sign Eiserman at the end of his college career. Brad Phillips
Current Season 11GP 4G 3A

7) Michael Prapavessis LHD 6'2 195lbs
Drafted by Dallas 4th round 2014 NHL Draft

http://www.eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=195224

November 2017 - The RPI Captain is currently in his senior season in the NCAA. In ten games he’s tallied five assists. He’s getting leadership experience and logging minutes while in school at RPI, which should help him transfer nicely to the AHL next year. Prapavessis is shaping into a player that might be noteworthy as he goes to camp next year. The only problem is the Stars are very deep at rearguard prospects. He will really have to show something to get ahead of Honka or Heiskanen on the depth chart. With those factors considered, Prapavessis is likely three years away. -Matt Kowalski
Current Season 17GP 0G 9A

8) Sam Lafferty RW 6'1 185lbs
Drafted by Pittsburgh 4th round 2014 NHL Draft

http://www.eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=259043

December 2017 – The 22-year-old is off to a decent start with three goals and five points in nine games in his fourth and final collegiate campaign, although he’ll have to pick up the pace to match his 35 points in 31 games as a junior. While Brown University is off to an uninspiring 4-5 ECAC start, Lafferty had two goals (including the winner) in a 4-2 win over Holy Cross, the Bears’ first non-conference game this season. Mark Allan

9) Jake Evans C 6'0 185 Norte Dame
Drafted by Montreal 7th round 2014 NHL draft

http://www.eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=152048

The Habs’ late-rounder has truly become the prospect to watch. This is the last year the organization has to convince Evans to sign with them. It is a possibility that we could see the current NCAA top scorer late this season with the big club, especially if the Canadiens keep posting a losing record; playing a few NHL games in April could be a great incentive to get a commitment out of him. David St.Louis @ rinkside

10) Dylan Sikura C 5'11 159lbs Northeastern

11) Nolan Stevens C 6'3 184lbs NorthEastern

12) Cameron Hughes C 5'11 161lbs Wisconsin

Edited by Crusader1969

Love the write ups, the second and 3rd D on the list sound interesting Mattias GöranssonJimmy Schuldt, and this guy has speed and a shot, get him... Kiefer Sherwood

I think if we can get 2 of these guys (including Brickley as an option) it will do a lot to fix some of our depth issues long term.  CJ Smith is the perfect example of what happens when you find a good college UFA. 

Exactly pass on the first D on the list..

Says his agility is good, but when it says "despite not having the best speed"  I just raise an eyebrow, I need to know if that means he's Franson. 

I think if we can get 2 of these guys (including Brickley as an option) it will do a lot to fix some of our depth issues long term.  CJ Smith is the perfect example of what happens when you find a good college UFA. 

Says his agility is good, but when it says "despite not having the best speed"  I just raise an eyebrow, I need to know if that means he's Franson.

My first thought as well.

Kiefer Sherwood has some defensive issues from what I have read.  That is a concern especially on this team. He is fast though. 

Jimmy Schuldt I had heard of but don't know much about.  I want him though just taking a look at his numbers quick.  Scoring right where I want a junior defender to.  Perfect size. I see nothing on his skating though so need to find a video or two. He is guy that you sign and make play a year in the AHL, then POOF! you bring him up in year 2 and you basically added a late first or early 2nd round pick to your team. When you see overagers get drafted now a days it is because of ppl like him. Looks like his draft should have been 2013? And in 2014 he was showing a lot of signs of being a solid investment for a 6th round pick. When Rakish starts talking about overagers, this is why. 

Edited by LGR4GM

This is not a list in any particular order. I will add players as I find NCAA seniors who were drafted in 2013 to 2015. 

August 2017 – After a disappointing sophomore season at the University of Nebraska-Omaha, where he had four goals and eight points in 31 games, Pope broke out last season with 13 goals and 31 points in 34 games. He showed a lot of progress in his overall game and he is learning to use his size to his advantage but his skating, although it has gotten better, still needs some work. Unless he signs a contract with Detroit before the season starts, Pope will return to university for his senior year. The Red Wings own Pope’s rights until 30 days after he leaves school, so he will need to build on last season and continue to progress if he hopes to earn a pro contract. Jameson Ewasiuk

Observations:

September 2017 – Terrance Amorosa is expected to suit up for the Friars of Providence College this coming season. It would be good to see if his offensive game can take another step forward after making recent improvements in the way of making himself more well-rounded. Being more reliable defensively should allow for the possibility for more experimentation with the puck on his stick. Edric Joseph

August 2017 – After a disappointing sophomore season at the University of Nebraska-Omaha, where he had four goals and eight points in 31 games, Pope broke out last season with 13 goals and 31 points in 34 games. He showed a lot of progress in his overall game and he is learning to use his size to his advantage but his skating, although it has gotten better, still needs some work. Unless he signs a contract with Detroit before the season starts, Pope will return to university for his senior year. The Red Wings own Pope’s rights until 30 days after he leaves school, so he will need to build on last season and continue to progress if he hopes to earn a pro contract. Jameson Ewasiuk

Observations:

September 2017 – Terrance Amorosa is expected to suit up for the Friars of Providence College this coming season. It would be good to see if his offensive game can take another step forward after making recent improvements in the way of making himself more well-rounded. Being more reliable defensively should allow for the possibility for more experimentation with the puck on his stick. Edric Joseph

3) Brian Pinho - C 6'1 185lbs Providence

Drafted by Washington RD 6 2013 NHL Draft

http://www.eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=132024

September 2017 –The 2013 sixth round pick has been improving every year for the Capitals in Providence College, with seasons of 18, 25 and most recently 40 points in 39 games. Pinho is not a big goal scorer as he prefers to distribute the puck than shoot it, but considering that is a majority of Capitals prospects in the system he should look to shoot more in his final year of College. The 174th pick in the 2013 draft has for exceeded his draft ranking to become a legitimate prospect for the Capitals. He will finish his final year in the NCAA and after that the Capitals will hope to sign him or he will make another team very happy with the depth he can bring. Pat Quinn

Current Season 18GP

4) Brandon Hickey - LHD 6'2 188lbs Boston U

Drafted by Calgary 2nd Round 2014 NHL Draft

http://www.eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=64587

June 2017- Hickey's rights have been traded to the Arizona Coyotes as part of a blockbuster deal that saw him, a conditional third-round pick (becomes a second-round pick if Flames make playoff's) and Chad Johnson for goalie Mike Smith. Hickey joins a budding but not very deep defenseman prospect pool in Arizona while leaving Calagry's that saw him buried behind blueliners like Oliver Kylington, Rasmus Anderson, Adam Fox and Brett Kulak. He plans on playing his senior year this coming season at BU, where Hickey has been named team captain. Keith Duggan

5) Jack Glover - RHD 6'3 190lbs Minnesota

Drafted by Winnipeg 3rd round 2014 NHL draft

http://www.eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=168703

October 2017 - Glover returned to Minnesota for his senior year and currently has one assist through six games. The 21-year-old still remains without a contract offer by the Jets and will become a free agent after he graduates this year. - Jamie Zadow

Current season 16GP 0G 3A

6) Shane Eiserman C 6'1 190lbs

Drafted by Ottawa 4th Round 2014 NHL Draft

http://www.eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=177720

June 2017 - The University of New Hampshire product has been nothing if not consistent during his three years in college putting up point totals of 15, 13 and 13. His was on pace to establish a career high in points but missed eight games due to a knee injury. At various points he's said he tried to model his game after Wayne Simmonds and James Van Riemsdyk although you wouldn't know it by looking at the numbers as he's managed just 16 goals in 95 NCAA games. Those aren't exactly numbers that scream goal scoring power forward. Eiserman has some speed and would do well to shoot the puck more, averaging just 1.52 shots/game which was one of the lowest marks on the Wildcats. Assuming he doesn't win the Hobey Baker this year it's unlikely the Sens will sign Eiserman at the end of his college career. Brad Phillips

Current Season 11GP 4G 3A

7) Michael Prapavessis LHD 6'2 195lbs

Drafted by Dallas 4th round 2014 NHL Draft

http://www.eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=195224

November 2017 - The RPI Captain is currently in his senior season in the NCAA. In ten games he’s tallied five assists. He’s getting leadership experience and logging minutes while in school at RPI, which should help him transfer nicely to the AHL next year. Prapavessis is shaping into a player that might be noteworthy as he goes to camp next year. The only problem is the Stars are very deep at rearguard prospects. He will really have to show something to get ahead of Honka or Heiskanen on the depth chart. With those factors considered, Prapavessis is likely three years away. -Matt Kowalski

Current Season 17GP 0G 9A

8) Sam Lafferty RW 6'1 185lbs

Drafted by Pittsburgh 4th round 2014 NHL Draft

http://www.eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=259043

December 2017 – The 22-year-old is off to a decent start with three goals and five points in nine games in his fourth and final collegiate campaign, although he’ll have to pick up the pace to match his 35 points in 31 games as a junior. While Brown University is off to an uninspiring 4-5 ECAC start, Lafferty had two goals (including the winner) in a 4-2 win over Holy Cross, the Bears’ first non-conference game this season. Mark Allan

9) Jake Evans C 6'0 185 Norte Dame

Drafted 7th round 2014 NHL draft

10) Dylan Sikura C 5'11 159lbs Northeastern

11) Nolan Stevens C 6'3 184lbs NorthEastern

12) Cameron Hughes C 5'11 161lbs Wisconsin

Im pretty sure thats it for drafted potential Free Agents next summer.  Not sure if there is anyone in the Kerfoot, Vesey, Butcher category but a few seem to have at least a bit of potential.

What I got before this year started:

Hughes

Stephens

Lafferty

Evans

Sikura

Pinho

Hickey

Pope

Prapervassis (sp?)

Amarosa

Eiserman

Glover

45b.us/hockey/2.php?year=2013,2013,2013,2014,2014,2014,2014,2014,2014,2014,2016,2015&pick=109,132,174,64,69,100,105,113,207,178,125,165

The top 2 I have north of Vesey, roughly the top 5 north of Kerfoot and Butcher, but both Kerfoot and Butcher have been better than I expected, so take that with grain of salt. Haven't ran charts for this year yet, hope to over Christmas.

What I got before this year started:

Hughes

Stephens

Lafferty

Evans

Sikura

Pinho

Hickey

Pope

Prapervassis (sp?)

Amarosa

Eiserman

Glover

45b.us/hockey/2.php?year=2013,2013,2013,2014,2014,2014,2014,2014,2014,2014,2016,2015&pick=109,132,174,64,69,100,105,113,207,178,125,165

The top 2 I have north of Vesey, roughly the top 5 north of Kerfoot and Butcher, but both Kerfoot and Butcher have been better than I expected, so take that with grain of salt. Haven't ran charts for this year yet, hope to over Christmas.

awesome thanks!

Evans is leading the nation in scoring at the moment, so it will be interesting when the charts get updated.

awesome thanks!

Evans is leading the nation in scoring at the moment, so it will be interesting when the charts get updated.

From the Athletic

Evans is also a fourth-year college player, meaning in August he could become an unrestricted NHL free agent. Should Montreal fans be worried about him bolting to another organization? Jackson doesn’t seem too concerned. “I think he’s really happy with how Montreal has treated him,” Jackson said. “My instinct is that he will probably sign [with Montreal].”

But Evans was less certain: “I have no ill will towards Montreal. I’m just trying to enjoy my last year [at Notre Dame] and when the time comes, we’ll see what happens.”

Sounds like he wants to test FA

• 1 month later...

From the Athletic

Evans is also a fourth-year college player, meaning in August he could become an unrestricted NHL free agent. Should Montreal fans be worried about him bolting to another organization? Jackson doesn’t seem too concerned. “I think he’s really happy with how Montreal has treated him,” Jackson said. “My instinct is that he will probably sign [with Montreal].”

But Evans was less certain: “I have no ill will towards Montreal. I’m just trying to enjoy my last year [at Notre Dame] and when the time comes, we’ll see what happens.”

Sounds like he wants to test FA

Evans up against Mitteltstadt and the Gophers tonight

Edit - watched him fairly closely and didn't really see anything that stood out. Still having a good season it seems but no longer leads NCAA in scoring

Edited by Crusader1969

• 2 weeks later...

The Beanpot starts today. A few players to keep an eye on

Dylan Sikura, Nolan Stevens - Northeastern

Brandon Hickey - BU

Nice power play for Dylan Sikura of Northeastern. Showed a lot of skill that eventually led to a PP goal

He is property of the Black Hawks and has 37 points in his 25th game with th Huskies.

Edited by Crusader1969

It's a great sentiment and I agree we need more talent, but we also have to be mindful of the organizational contract limit.  

We currently have 46 contracts on the books, 23 in buffalo and 23 in the AHL and Jrs (Pu).  Of those 46, we currently have 12 in the NHL for next year, plus 14 in the minors.  We also have 13 RFAs of which I think we'll re-sign at least 7 (Smith, Bailey, Baptiste, Nelson, Fasching, Reinhart, and Wilcox) and as many as 12 (Lehner, Wilson, Antipin, Malone and Griffith).  Only Kasdorf will almost certainly be gone.  That is as many as 38 contracts already accounted for.

Now add Mittelstadt, our 1st pick this year, Olofsson, Asplund, Fitzgerald and Borgen and we are at 44 contracts without the NHL team being completed. 

That doesn't leave much room for adding to many college FAs.  I do agree that given Jbot's history that he is likely to add someone, but he can't add many.  

Edited by GASabresIUFAN

It's a great sentiment and I agree we need more talent, but we also have to be mindful of the organizational contract limit.  

We currently have 46 contracts on the books, 23 in buffalo and 23 in the AHL and Jrs (Pu).  Of those 46, we currently have 12 in the NHL for next year, plus 14 in the minors.  We also have 13 RFAs of which I think we'll re-sign at least 7 (Smith, Bailey, Baptiste, Nelson, Fasching, Reinhart, and Wilcox) and as many as 12 (Lehner, Wilson, Antipin, Malone and Griffith).  Only Kasdorf will almost certainly be gone.  That is as many as 38 contracts already accounted for.

Now add Mittelstadt, our 1st pick this year, Olofsson, Asplund, Fitzgerald and Borgen and we are at 44 contracts without the NHL team being completed. 

That doesn't leave much room for adding to many college FAs.  I do agree that given Jbot's history that he is likely to add someone, but he can't add many.  

1 for the Sabres and maybe 1 for Rochester. Though, im not familiar enough with the quality of College FA's to say if any could play in NHL. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.