Potential Drafted College Free Agents

Crusader1969

The decidedly inexpert opinion of this particular internet JAG formed from a combination of assorted anecdotal evidence, looking at a lot of charts showing who got drafted when and from where, and a deep and granite-hard hatred of the NCAA.

You do realize that 32% of NHL players are former college hockey players. This has grown from 21% in 2003. Of those players 70% played at least 3 years in college.

You do realize that 32% of NHL players are former college hockey players. This has grown from 21% in 2003. Of those players 70% played at least 3 years in college.

Yeah, I freely admit that that was most definitely not the best take I've ever come out with.  More of a me issue.  

Admittedly many of these guys are depth players like Wilson and Erod or Schaller, but getting an educated, older and physically mature player who is very cost effective is very beneficial in a salary cap league.

Also hard to ignore college FAs when 20% of the NHL is made up of college kids with at least 3 seasons of college under their belts.

Kris Baker brought this up yesterday on Twitter:

Top priorities for the Sabres are to sign Borgen (Sabres property) and Brickley (Top college UFA).

I think they would have to guarantee roster spots for both players to get them to sign. 

IF they are successful, here is the Depth Chart (alphabetical order)

LHD                      RHD

Antipin (RFA)        Borgen

Brickley                 Bogosian 

Guhle                    Nelson

McCabe                Risto

Scandella

Beaulieu

again a big if, but if this is where the Sabres stand, I buy-out Bogosian and bury Beaulieu in Rochester. Maybe flip McCabe for a LWer.

Then when the Sabres land Dahlin.....

Edited by Crusader1969

If they bring both of those guys in with the intention of playing them in Buffalo, then something definitely has to go.

Beaulieu, Bogosian, Risto, McCabe, Scandella all under contract next year, Nelson, Antipin and Guhle in the system.

There is speculation that Antipin might be returning to the KHL. This was from Alvis Kalanis

I think it’s safe to say the Antipin experiment hasn’t worked out. He’s 25 and Sabres may not even qualify him.

As a UFA, Nelson may choose to go elsewhere.

Doubt there is a trade market for Beaulieu or Bogosian, who are both under contract. Curious if they will explore the Bogo buyout, but not sure that makes sense from a moneypuck perspective. (If it’s even possible given his injury situation)

McCabe has a good contract and some upside and probably is the most likely trade bait back there.

Risto and Marco are the only ones we should count on being back in October.

Edited by dudacek

Supposedly the NHLPA fought hard to keep the rules the way they are. I think a reasonable change that they might accept is letting the team with the player's rights offer a better contract than what they'd get as a UFA (similar to NHL UFAs now). So either a longer term or more money. That way there's extra incentive for the player to sign with the team that drafted them (or traded for their rights) but the team would have to lean in too, and players could still opt to go their own way.

I have heard this too, but not from an official source, and I am a bit skeptical.  Why would the NHLPA care about this (or more accurately, care enough to make it a priority in negotiating with the NHL)?

In any case I like the suggestion about the drafting team having the right to offer more $$.

How about a compensatory draft pick equal to the value of contract signed? Most ELCs are slotted/paid based upon the players draft position, but teams can pay more. Lets take Borgen for example. He was a 4th rd pick, but if someone signs him to a deal with 1st rd money, we’d get at least a 2nd rd pick as compensation. This can be done with by the NHL giving us a pick at the end of the 2nd rd or better yet, just like a team signing a player to an offer sheet, we’d get their 2nd rd pick.

Also a good suggestion.

And good data here.

I think it’s safe to say the Antipin experiment hasn’t worked out. He’s 25 and Sabres may not even qualify him.

As a UFA, Nelson may choose to go elsewhere.

Doubt there is a trade market for Beaulieu or Bogosian, who are both under contract. Curious if they will explore the Bogo buyout, but not sure that makes sense from a moneypuck perspective. (If it’s even possible given his injury situation)

McCabe has a good contract and some upside and probably is the most likely trade bait back there.

Risto and Marco are the only ones we should count on being back in October.

Again big IF but if the Sabres land Dahlin 

with Dahlin, Risto and Borgen /Nelson as the RHD

and  Guhle, Scandella, McCabe on the LHD

are they a play off team next year? or too young and another year away? 

Again big IF but if the Sabres land Dahlin 

with Dahlin, Risto and Borgen /Nelson as the RHD

and  Guhle, Scandella, McCabe on the LHD

are they a play off team next year? or too young and another year away?

On paper D would be much improved... depends on forwards stepping up... still too many Jags up front.

Friedman suggested the Sabres could move him at the deadline and im not sure if it was him or someone else who suggested Winnipeg as a destination bc Paul Maurice was his ex-coach in the KHL, but if there was interested in him as a depth d-men and Sabres chose not to move him, why would they just not qualify him? Maybe he still bolts for the KHL but i don't see a reason why Sabres wouldn't qualify him?

The "crown Jewel" of the UFA's is gone in Brickley, Borgen's D-Partner Schuldt should be next on the list.

I see some good wingers and think Schuldt is a definite player that we should target. Losing Brickley doesn't bother me all that much. I'd like Casey Mittelstadt's teammate Tyler Sheehy too. Sebastian Vidmar is a player I would love to add to Buffalo. 

Edited by Skurk Liger

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.