New Simple System Idea!

GASabresIUFAN

I’m wondering if Housley needs to simplify the game for these guys. At this point the seasonis all but done. We can’t score. We can’t defend and therefore the way we are playing we have no chance of winning using the current “system.”

Since you can’t change all the players and Housley isn’t being fired this season, it’s time play a simplfied and entertaining brand of hockey. How? Good question.

In my line of work I set straight forward achievable, but tough goals. I see no reason why we can’t do that here. Housley needs to walk into the lockerroom and say something like this: “guys we have 56 games left. If we win them all we can win the President’s Throphy, however to win them all, we need to win the next one. So here is what I want you to do. Our goals tonight are simple. 50 shots on net, 40 hits, 5 power plays and 4 goal scored. I don’t care how you accomplish the goals. All I care about is you making quick decisions with the puck, especially on the PP, and having fun.”

I don’t know enough about hockey systems, and I assuredly don’t know enough about Housley’s system. But I’ll pose this question:

If we suck because we haven’t yet figured out the system, why would we abandon trying to learn the system? It’s already a lost season. If we abandon it and go loosey-goosey, how do we move forward as a cohesive team? Shouldn’t we work through the growing pains and figure out the system this year, flush the results, and have it implemented and smooth for the future?

I’m not happy about that. But if Housley has a system and we just don’t know it yet, giving up would be a weak coaching move. If Housley has a system and it just sucks, well then we have bigger problems.

I'm not sure taking low quality shots all game it going to make the hockey more bearable, but anything is worth a shot. I also understand the logic wanting lots of hits, but you can't register a hit unless the other team has the puck. Not having the puck often leads to not scoring. So, I'd rather track something like, hits per minute of opposing possession. Probably drop out PK time, since you don't hit a lot when you're watching your GT get shelled. And double points for hits while on the PP. :)

I don’t know enough about hockey systems, and I assuredly don’t know enough about Housley’s system. But I’ll pose this question:

If we suck because we haven’t yet figured out the system, why would we abandon trying to learn the system? It’s already a lost season. If we abandon it and go loosey-goosey, how do we move forward as a cohesive team? Shouldn’t we work through the growing pains and figure out the system this year, flush the results, and have it implemented and smooth for the future?

I’m not happy about that. But if Housley has a system and we just don’t know it yet, giving up would be a weak coaching move. If Housley has a system and it just sucks, well then we have bigger problems.

Good point. The question is whether the issue now is learning the system, critically low levels of individual confidence, or if the team has just plain given up. The latter two may be helped if loosey-goosey gets their groove on.

It has nothing to do with the system, the collected group of players are a heaping trash pile. We railed and railed upon Byslma for his system and Housley was supposed to be a savior for the team. I can't believe that our problems have been two unworkable systems.

I have soured on Housley (how can you not with the current results), he's a turd-polisher who seems to lack emotion. Having said that I don't expect him to get fired any time soon.

He is a millenial excuser trying to do positive reinforcement because all these guys have been catered to all their lives. But really they all need a goid two by four once in a blue moon to know that he still carries a big stick. Yes do the positive stuff but fear can motivate too and this team especially Sam needs a dose of it.

He is a millenial excuser trying to do positive reinforcement because all these guys have been catered to all their lives. But really they all need a goid two by four once in a blue moon to know that he still carries a big stick. Yes do the positive stuff but fear can motivate too and this team especially Sam needs a dose of it.

Yes, we are just fragile, egotistical little people

I'm not saying toss Housley's system.  I'm saying simplify and try to focus on simple tasks, like checking and shooting.  

By the way, while hits do come when the opponent has the puck, they are important to getting the puck in dump and chase situations, and creating turnovers.  More turnovers, more winning of battles along the boards, more puck possession and more scoring chances.

Yes, we are just fragile, egotistical little people

Let it go. They all missed it when George Carlin said all the same ###### about boomers and gen x 20 years ago.

Yea the Boomers had it hard. Their mom's didn't work. Dad brought home the money. Their tuition was paid for. Houses were affordable and if you went to college you got a good paying job. Us lazy millennials with our college degrees, low paying jobs, sky high debt from paying for college, can't afford a 200,000 house because of that debt, and the fact we are about to be tripled taxed so we can give more to corporate welfare really are a bunch of lazy SOB's.  I mean ignoring the fact I have 3 degrees, my gf has 2 and she works a second job, I have to budget every month and we are fortunate to work in our actual fields. I bet if we stopped buying booze, movies, and women (pretty sure that is illegal and that women are actually people) maybe we could afford to buy a house. Guess we just don't work hard enough because we are lazy self entitled millennials. 

I'm not saying toss Housley's system.  I'm saying simplify and try to focus on simple tasks, like checking and shooting.  

By the way, while hits do come when the opponent has the puck, they are important to getting the puck in dump and chase situations, and creating turnovers.  More turnovers, more winning of battles along the boards, more puck possession and more scoring chances.

I think Housley needs to go even lower. Put 60% of your passes on your indented targets stick, Rasmus opposing players aren't intended targets. Win 60% of your board battles. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.