DEADLINE DAY -- Sabres trade speculation

matter2003

I wonder is the Sabres retaining some salary would open up more suitors for ROR? The Leafs retained 1.2 Million of Kessel’s Salary and were able to increase his return value. I would rather not trade him, but this team is at least 2-3 years away from being a legitimate cup contender and it’s better to trade a player a year too early, rather than a year too late.

I keep circling back to Carolina, their new owner is in place and he is looking to make a splash. (Source Interviews with Friedman and the Raleigh Observer)

And ###### no to Carey Price

Carolina is tied for last in their division and 6-8 points out of a playoff spot. I think they would have to start winning games prior to the deadline to even consider making a splash like trading assets for a rental. 

Carolina is tied for last in their division and 6-8 points out of a playoff spot. I think they would have to start winning games prior to the deadline to even consider making a splash like trading assets for a rental. 

But O'Reilly isn't a rental

Unless it's Hasek in his prime years

And that kinda thing is never happening again, ya know? We'll still get guys like Lundy now and again, but for the most part we're never going to see a goalie that just dominates other teams for basically his whole career. He was an extremely talented goalie in an era where goaltending was transitioning to butterfly being the dominant style, so even the most average goalies can put up a Hasek-esque season now and then. Truly dominant goaltenders are a thing of the past. 

So if Kane and ROR get traded and the Sabres are able to pick up a couple No 1s or at least 1 and puck moving D and a young winger scorer I am wondering do the Sabres go after Tkachuck or the Czeck with the first pick and another foward with its second no 1 and look at D in the second round? Or do you go with D as some of the wingers move up? Can a line with Middlestadt, and say Fasching and Nylander/Pulliott work. Put a line together with Reinhart, Pu and Pommer and then Eichel 1st round Winger and OK. Gonna need to move a veteran winger too but the fourth line might work with Jofeson and who knows with Ollofson or another Euro making the team. Finally, next year it may be time for draft picks the last couple years to start showing up.

So if Kane and ROR get traded and the Sabres are able to pick up a couple No 1s or at least 1 and puck moving D and a young winger scorer I am wondering do the Sabres go after Tkachuck or the Czeck with the first pick and another foward with its second no 1 and look at D in the second round? Or do you go with D as some of the wingers move up? Can a line with Middlestadt, and say Fasching and Nylander/Pulliott work. Put a line together with Reinhart, Pu and Pommer and then Eichel 1st round Winger and OK. Gonna need to move a veteran winger too but the fourth line might work with Jofeson and who knows with Ollofson or another Euro making the team. Finally, next year it may be time for draft picks the last couple years to start showing up.

All depends on how the draft unfolds. If 1 defender and 14 forwards go before the Sabres next first round pick and the Sabres have Dhalin at #1, I take the best Defender at #16 too because he's better than the 15th best forward. 

If we draft 3rd and take Zadina, 5d and 10 forwards go before we pick again, I have to ask if the 11th best forward is as good as the 6th best defender. Depends on the draft and where the class ranks out. 

Would the Senators do O'Reilly for Karlsson, and would you do it? 

Straight up? Yes. 

Edited by SkuggaLiger

Depends on whether I can see him signing past 2019.

I don't think Ottawa has the money to keep him.

I think their cap situation is okay. It's the fact that they're stuck with Bobby Ryan and Phaneuf that kills them. They'll be able to pay Karlsson, but the rest of the team would be a mess. 

If you can get a 2018 first for Kane, would you trade O'Reilly and that first for 2 years of Karlsson? 

I think their cap situation is okay. It's the fact that they're stuck with Bobby Ryan and Phaneuf that kills them. They'll be able to pay Karlsson, but the rest of the team would be a mess. 

If you can get a 2018 first for Kane, would you trade O'Reilly and that first for 2 years of Karlsson? 

ROR and a first for Karlsson? No. Just because I would like for him to re-signed and can't guarantee we could.  Also the Sabres need so much depth I would want to keep that first. I might toss them a 2nd. 

And that kinda thing is never happening again, ya know? We'll still get guys like Lundy now and again, but for the most part we're never going to see a goalie that just dominates other teams for basically his whole career. He was an extremely talented goalie in an era where goaltending was transitioning to butterfly being the dominant style, so even the most average goalies can put up a Hasek-esque season now and then. Truly dominant goaltenders are a thing of the past.

Until somebody revolutionizes the way the position is played like Hasek, or Orr in the 60s or Gretzky in the 80s

ROR and a first for Karlsson? No. Just because I would like for him to re-signed and can't guarantee we could.  Also the Sabres need so much depth I would want to keep that first. I might toss them a 2nd. 

The nice part is that we're not in cap jail. Even with O'Reilly and Okposo on long term contracts, their cap hits aren't that bad. Not when you look at what Ottawa has going on. So maybe we could pry some depth out of Ottawa with that first. O'Reilly and a 2018 first (not the Sabres), for Karlsson and ....?

The nice part is that we're not in cap jail. Even with O'Reilly and Okposo on long term contracts, their cap hits aren't that bad. Not when you look at what Ottawa has going on. So maybe we could pry some depth out of Ottawa with that first. O'Reilly and a 2018 first (not the Sabres), for Karlsson and ....?

I will take Alex Formenton then. 

RoR and a 2019 protected first for Karlsson is an easy deal to make IMO

Until somebody revolutionizes the way the position is played like Hasek, or Orr in the 60s or Gretzky in the 80s

I don't see it happening. Not unless the NHL makes drastic changes to goaltender equipment to force goalies out of their highly scientific approach to the game. 

I will take Alex Formenton then. 

Interesting. 

True. Yeah I didn't mean our pick this year. Then again, it is Karlsson we're talking about here. Unless we get Dahlin...

You said if you get a 2018 first for Kane so I assumed that was the pick we traded for Karlsson. I think that is harder because we need to revitalize the pipeline and get a steady stream of talent rolling in it. 

Let's say we trade ROR and our 2018 2nd for Karlsson. We trade Kane for a 2018 first and Keifer Bellow (that's it). You win the lottery. You draft Dhalin.  The rest of the 2018 draft is soft at center but great for wingers and defenders.  You could in this beautiful parallel universe get Karlsson, Dhalin, Bellows, and let's Kane's pick turns in 22 overall. That's quite a haul.  The defense would be insane and honestly the forwards could sort themselves out. 

From Jimmy Murphy

Not sure if it's been mentioned yet, but hearing via NHL sources that #Preds  in on #Sabres  F #EvanderKane. Likely Buffalo would want one of the plethora of stud D-men Nashville has. #NHLTradeRumors. @Bruins_Beat @MurphsHockeyLaw

And Dahlin and Boqvist are drawing comparisons to Karlsson, I want to keep the 2018 1st at all costs

From Jimmy Murphy

Not sure if it's been mentioned yet, but hearing via NHL sources that #Preds  in on #Sabres  F #EvanderKane. Likely Buffalo would want one of the plethora of stud D-men Nashville has. #NHLTradeRumors. @Bruins_Beat @MurphsHockeyLaw

And Dahlin and Boqvist are drawing comparisons to Karlsson, I want to keep the 2018 1st at all costs

There's almost no scenario where I trade the 2018 first especially pre lottery. 

I would take Fabbro and Allard plus their 1st for Kane.