DEADLINE DAY -- Sabres trade speculation

matter2003

Sure but Price is the best goalie in the world and will remain that way for another five years at least.

I don't think the "for at least five years" is even remotely true. Hell, I'm not even sure he's clearly the best right now.

Sure but Price is the best goalie in the world and will remain that way for another five years at least.

Think Guhle is a lot closer to Hanifan than draft status would suggest?

And I’m not advocating the Price proposal, just saying that he’s the only name that puts O’Reilly on the table for me.

Maybe a distinction without a difference, but I was looking the other direction: Hanifan is closer to Guhle than draft status would suggest. I've read a ton (of bad) about Hanifin's development.

I don't think the "for at least five years" is even remotely true. Hell, I'm not even sure he's clearly the best right now.

Maybe a distinction without a difference, but I was looking the other direction: Hanifan is closer to Guhle than draft status would suggest. I've read a ton (of bad) about Hanifin's development.

He's not. Holtby is

I think a top goalie can play into the back half of his 30s and Price can win more games singlehandedly than pretty much any player in the league.

But you are right, the contract sucks and the performance recently is not as dominant as it was.

I'm not sure it matters even if he is. You can't spend that kind of money on a goalie.

This seems to be true in the cap era.

But I do love me some Carey Price.

Edited by Mick O’Manly

I think a top goalie can play into the back half of his 30s and Price can win more games singlehandedly than pretty much any player in the league.

But you are right, the contract sucks and the performance recently is not as dominant as it was.

This seems to be true in the cap era.

But I do love me some Carey Price.

Can play? Yes. Can play as effectively? No. The decline point for goalies is certainly later than for forwards, but I'm pretty sure (without looking it up) the cliff is 34. Price is good enough that he can decline and still be a good starter, but for $10.5 million, you need to be more than good.

I’ve been beaten in submission by impeccable logic.

There is no one, not even Carey Price, who could get me interested in trading O’Reilly to Montreal.

Now if we are talking Price and this year’s first rounder...????

Edited by Mick O’Manly

Goalies are stupid. Just trade them at will. They should basically always be some of the lowest paid players on your team because half the time all it takes is a random goalie to be hot.

I kinda see them as the Running Backs of the NHL. Minus the longevity and age of their primes. I don’t think building a team is filtered through those positions like it once was.

And increasingly those positions are filled by committee.

Edited by Thorny

Will Bitten? Noah Juulsen? Players I remember hearing about. Nikita Scherbak?

Habs fans love their Victor Mete and Poehling their latest first rounder is a good prospect.

Of course he tops put as a lesser OReilly, so....

Interesting.

I legitimately can't think of a Montreal deal for O'Reilly that interests me.

Relatedly, Montreal is the perfect cautionary take for pretending we know what's going on in a locker room, and/or for putting too much emphasis. It wasn't too long ago that Subban wasn't a good enough leader and his attitude was a problem, and Shea "super captain" Weber was supposed to swoop in and get the locker room in order, resulting in more winning. Yea, about that...

I like Galchenyuk a lot

Same. I think he underrated by Montreal fans. I think they are having major issues that go beyond him on the lack of scoring there, such as Drouin only has like 6 goals and beyond him and Galchenyuk there just isn't very much offensive upside on that roster. Despite all the hate, Galchenyuk has something like 19 points in his last 21 games and currently leads the Habs in points.

I legitimately can't think of a Montreal deal for O'Reilly that interests me.

Relatedly, Montreal is the perfect cautionary take for pretending we know what's going on in a locker room, and/or for putting too much emphasis. It wasn't too long ago that Subban wasn't a good enough leader and his attitude was a problem, and Shea "super captain" Weber was supposed to swoop in and get the locker room in order, resulting in more winning. Yea, about that...

You can throw Carter and Richards in that too

Edited by Jokertecken

I just want to say up front that I have a strong dislike for Jonathan Drouin and have for quite some time.

Curious what you honestly would have given up for him last summer and what you would give up for him now.

Maybe express it in terms of a draft pick, for example fifth overall, or 25 or a fourth rounder...

Edited by Mick O’Manly

I flat out am not interested at this time at trading ROR. He's far to important at the moment to make any moves involving him and I still feel he's a good player.

I loved trading for ROR but if Botterill can get anything good in return, i'm all in. The guy is super inconsistent and makes many errors defensively and then beats himself up for it to the media after the game. This season, took him 7 games to score his first goal and later in season had a stretch with 0 goals in 12 games. For what he makes, Sabres just needed more.

I wonder is the Sabres retaining some salary would open up more suitors for ROR? The Leafs retained 1.2 Million of Kessel’s Salary and were able to increase his return value. I would rather not trade him, but this team is at least 2-3 years away from being a legitimate cup contender and it’s better to trade a player a year too early, rather than a year too late.

I keep circling back to Carolina, their new owner is in place and he is looking to make a splash. (Source Interviews with Friedman and the Raleigh Observer)

And no to Carey Price