Buffalo and Ian Cole?

WildCard

Could Botterill go back to his former team for some defensive help? Would the Pens love to have Kane? Maybe

“One of the names that first jumped, and I saw Jason Mackey – who reported this in the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette – he mentioned Toronto,” began Friedman. “And Toronto a team that’s looking for defense. I could see that. I also could see a team like Colorado, which is looking to continually change its culture, being interested in somebody like Ian Cole.

“A couple of teams he did mention I’m very curious about, teams that have been looking for help on the blueline have been Edmonton, Chicago, and even a team like Buffalo. Buffalo is a team that needs some defensive help, and I would be curious to see if he’s the kind of guy that they would go get."

“They’re looking for scoring,” indicated Friedman. “They are looking for scoring very badly. They’ve really struggled to score. Some of it I think in their case has been a bit of bad luck. Their shooting percentage as a team is low, lower than we’re normally seeing. But I do think if they could find a scorer, that would be the kind of thing they’re looking for.

“I’m also curious to see if they try to get like a short-term goaltender, maybe a guy who has played a lot in the American Hockey League, just to get through Matt Murray’s injury.”

https://www.fanragsports.com/friedman-and-mckenzie-review-ian-cole-trade-speculation/

There's a ton more in that article about Cole. Really good piece.

Edited by WildCard

My concern is that he's already 28. Then again, defensemen last longer, and it's pretty clear we need someone like this

“It’s worth noting: Two years ago, when Sullivan took over the team in December, in January and February of that season he was a healthy scratch in 11 straight games. And got back in the lineup, played really well right through winning the Cup and then played 81 of 82 games last year and has been a really inspirational guy – taken the puck in the mouth, the whole nine yards. Played some really hard minutes for them. But right now, I think the reason he’s not in the lineup is because the coach doesn’t want him in the lineup, not because they’re protecting the asset."

(same article)

Cole is another player that would come in here from a team that is used to competing and winning and would help in those dirty areas.  We've heard two of the least tennured Sabres (Nolan and Scandella) talk about the differences of their prior teams and this Sabres locker room.  Until we rid ourselves of these players that don't give a crap, we will be stuck watching a crappy product on the ice.  I say - bring him in but not for Kane; as others mention, Kane is worth more.

Could Botterill go back to his former team for some defensive help? Would the Pens love to have Kane? Maybe

https://www.fanragsports.com/friedman-and-mckenzie-review-ian-cole-trade-speculation/

There's a ton more in that article about Cole. Really good piece.

I'm not trading Evander Kane for Ian Cole, if that happens I'm done watching hockey this season.  If the Penguins want to give up Sprong, a 1st, and possible assets, maybe.  But, the idea of Cole for Kane is baffling. If you want to trade Rental for Rental, can we please start with Gorges +++++.  

Edited by TheCerebral1

Rental for a Rental? I dunno.

I'm not trading Evander Kane for Ian Cole, if that happens I'm done watching hockey this season.  If the Penguins want to give up Sprong, a 1st, and possible assets, maybe.  But, the idea of Cole for Kane is baffling. If you want to trade Rental for Rental, can we please start with Gorges +++++.  

See here we are on the same page Cerebral.  D4rk you need a snickers or something. Kane for Cole is like Roy for Malkin bad. 

See here we are on the same page Cerebral.  D4rk you need a snickers or something. Kane for Cole is like Roy for Malkin bad. 

It's not that bad. It just doesn't make sense from our end. We don't need a rental player. We need something more substantial. 

I think you are overvaluing Kane's return on the rental market though. 

It's not that bad. It just doesn't make sense from our end. We don't need a rental player. We need something more substantial. 

I think you are overvaluing Kane's return on the rental market though.

Yup, teams aren't going to view the potential acquisition as adding Evander Kane, and all the production he represents over the course of your average season. They'll be viewing the acquisition as 2/3 months of Evander Kane.

It'll be up to Botterill to maximize the return, but I'm keeping my expectations low.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.