Housley's System

LGR4GM

I don't know what I was expecting, but Housley seems so cookie-cutter. The suit, the poker face, the gum, the cliches, the line-juggling, now the "go to the net and get dirty" talk. He's not young by any means, but he's youthful looking still. Maybe because I remember the dynamic kid he was, I thought he was going to bring something fresh to this job. Instead, he's holding off on pulling the goalie with 1:30 left. Pretty old school. Schopp was asking the other day if Housley gets the job if he isn't a former star for the team. I don't know. I really don't know.

Well in fairness, Housley played for a lot of great coaches so he must have picked up a thing or two along the way. That's the main reason journeymen make great coaches, they move around and see lots of coaches and lots of ideas. 

It's not Housley, its the team. It's just so much easier to blame one guy instead of 20. 

Well in fairness, Housley played for a lot of great coaches so he must have picked up a thing or two along the way. That's the main reason journeymen make great coaches, they move around and see lots of coaches and lots of ideas. 

It's not Housley, its the team. It's just so much easier to blame one guy instead of 20. 

Will he start popping ice one of these nights? Who else did he play for? Yeah, I could look it up...

I'm not blaming Housley at all. OK, maybe for the shootout call on opening night. It's 99% the players at this point. These putzes are making me thirsty.

I'm not sure comparing this year's Sabres to last years Leafs is a fair comparison.

The Leafs were running Babcock's System for the second year, compared to the first for Housley's. Even although Nylander, Brown and Hyman spend a majority of the time with the Marlies, Keefe was running Babs System. And by the end of the dignity year the Leafs Possession Numbers were pretty impressive.

It's much easier for players of Matthews and Marner's Elk to have success when a majority of their team is already comfortable with the system.

The Sabres are starting from scratch. If there is not improvement in the next two months, there may be a problem and some player movement is necessary

Edited by BRAWNDO

4-5 OT loss

4-1 win

4-5 OT loss

2-3 loss

4-5 SO loss

3-7 loss

3-2 win

1-2 loss

1-5 loss

3-2 OT win

Toronto showed promise right out of the gate even if the points didn't come.  We need to step up to be as good as toronto's 2-7 start.

We're now a 1-0-1 stretch from equaling Toronto's record last October. 

Let it be so. 

This is interesting,

http://www.wgr550.com/articles/news/housley-our-work-habits-have-been-good

"Our defense, as a whole, needs to simplify their game. When we have opportunities to execute, whether it's in a break out or a neutral zone re-group where we can transition the other way, we need to continue to get better in that area." - Phil Housley

Edited by LGR4GM

I was a HUGE fan of this hire.  I'm no longer faithful.  

I'll give him until the quarter pole to figure out how to run a power play without giving up shorties.

I am going to the SJ game on 10/28.  I don't think I'll watch one until then.  (Yeah, I'll be here tomorrow night, shut up.)

I was a HUGE fan of this hire.  I'm no longer faithful.  

I'll give him until the quarter pole to figure out how to run a ###### power play without giving up shorties.

I am going to the SJ game on 10/28.  I don't think I'll watch one until then.  (Yeah, I'll be here tomorrow night, shut up.)

It's only so painful because we know we'll always be watching :(

Yup, there isn't enough back and forth passing on this team in general. Too many one shots and long shots, not enough puck possession. Definitely have to move the puck around more on the PP and I would also say move Jack around more. 

Wasn't Randall (and others) all over the lack of possession a big problem with the Sabres last year.  I think they even attributed much of it to Disco Dan's coaching style / system?

• 2 weeks later...
This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.