Training camp questions: will the team score enough goals.

dudacek

The Jack-less Sabres started the season with a tank-worthy offence, barely able to muster one even-strength goal a game, as the coach decided he was going to sacrifice any pretence of attacking without his star.

It got better when Eichel came back, but the team still finished with just 199 goals "good" for 25th in the league. Without adding any scorers of significance, can things get better?

Edited by dudacek

1st power play -> 25th in scoring, we were 28th I think in even strength offense. 

It all depends on how this team plays at even strength. They have the scorers to finish at even strength if they have the puck enough. I've posted the graphs before of ROR and Okposo's even strength scoring before and after they joined the Sabres. If we can get them back up to where they should be at this point in their career, with a Jack Eichel, and an Evander Kane that will score at ES even after the apocalypse, we will be in the middle 10 at least. If Housley sucks then we will be bad again. 

The Jack-less Sabres started the season with a tank-worthy offence, barely able to muster one even-strength goal a game, as the coach decided he was going to sacrifice any pretence of attacking without his star.

It got better when Eichel came back, but the team still finished with just 199 goals "good" for 25th in the league. Without adding any scorers of significance, can things get better?

Pommers had 47 points last year, more than Ennis and Foligno combined. Surely he will be a bigger help to our scoring than those two were? 

Well, I'd love to believe that Howie will be able to resurrect Bogo, teach Risto how to be a franchise #1, continue and accelerate McCabe's growth, put Beaulieu and Antipin on track to becoming good 2nd-pairing defensemen, realize Reino's potential at center, keep Kaner focused, develop Nylander, Baptiste, Fasching and Bailey, help Zemgus find his way and implement a 5-man attack that will unconstipate their 5-on-5 offense -- but it seems like a lot to ask.

Well, I'd love to believe that Howie will be able to resurrect Bogo, teach Risto how to be a franchise #1, continue and accelerate McCabe's growth, put Beaulieu and Antipin on track to becoming good 2nd-pairing defensemen, realize Reino's potential at center, keep Kaner focused, develop Nylander, Baptiste, Fasching and Bailey, help Zemgus find his way and implement a 5-man attack that will unconstipate their 5-on-5 offense -- but it seems like a lot to ask.

Just wait until he has Casey Mittelstadt at his disposal. At that point even a single loss will be unacceptable.

So it is written, so it shall be done.

I'm pinning all my hopes on six words:

Dan Bylsma

Phil Housley

Jack Eichel

Casey Mittelstadt is not pleased. This type of blasphemy of omitting the holy one will not be tolerated. Now go to the corner and say 10 hail Caseys or he's gonna make you do it anyway, only you'll be kneeling on piles of uncooked rice.

The new system should hypothetically bring up goal scoring (although goals against might be worse until the team gets better) but it does remain to be seen how many of these guys can actually finish and put the puck in the net. Last year aside from the PP this team was dreadful. Everyone blames Bylsma, but I can see his side. You have a team with dreadful offensive skills so what do you do? You try to play dull dead hockey and hope to win with the power play, it's a logical decision given what you have to work with. Housley's system will be an initial disaster if the forwards can't score on their chances.

That is a lot to ask for from one coach. So hopefully some of those guys get it done for themselves.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.