2017 Stanley Cup Playoffs : Conference Finals

WildCard

I need a Preds win since I have playoff tickets (got games 3, 4, and 6 of this series) and I want a chance to go to a Cup final in person. That and I'm moving to New Orleans in July so this is my last shot after 8 years of season tickets in Nashville. Go Preds!

You're going to miss watching hockey in person.  Used to have an ECHL team known as the Mississippi Seawolves on the gulf coast of Mississippi (Biloxi).  Not too far from New Orleans.  They were fun to watch and actually had a decent fan base.  Bruce Boudreaux led the Seawolves to a Kelly Cup in 99'.  Good times. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pS2xxQdrK9s

And go Nashville.  Don't care for Anaheim and obviously strong dislike for Ottawa and Pittsburgh.  

Edited by GoPre

It APPEARS like the Lafayette Ice Gators will be resuming play this season in the SPHL. Only 2 hours away & probably comparable to ECHL.

I don't think the SPHL has any type of link to the NHL. If so an NHL team does not have the rights to a player.

Edited by GoPre

I don't think the SPHL has any type of link to the NHL. If so an NHL team does not have the rights to a player.

Doubt they would. They're either ECHL quality or a small step below. (Essentially at the CHL level before it folded, which was reasonably entertaining hockey & well worth the price of admission.)

It's still pro hockey.

Doubt they would. They're either ECHL quality or a small step below. (Essentially at the CHL level before it folded, which was reasonably entertaining hockey & well worth the price of admission.)

It's still pro hockey.

At the lowest level possible.  It's a beer league full of guys not wanting to give it up.  Avg. pay is $300 a week.  Semi-pro hockey.  Something not to take serious.  

At the lowest level possible.  It's a beer league full of guys not wanting to give it up.  Avg. pay is $300 a week.  Semi-pro hockey.  Something not to take serious.

It looks like they make ~1/2 of what guys in the ECHL make. And it apparently is a step below the old CHL. But it looks like top guys get over $14k/year. Nothorrible for a 1/2 year's worth of work while one is still deciding what to be when he grows up.

Clearly not "something to take seriously" but not exactly the typical beer lague either. Like mentioned previously, CHL hockey (which was close to ECHL level) was worth the admission price & better value than the Amerks have been since the Florida fiasco started them on the current downward spiral.

It looks like they make ~1/2 of what guys in the ECHL make. And it apparently is a step below the old CHL. But it looks like top guys get over $14k/year. Nothorrible for a 1/2 year's worth of work while one is still deciding what to be when he grows up.

Clearly not "something to take seriously" but not exactly the typical beer lague either. Like mentioned previously, CHL hockey (which was close to ECHL level) was worth the admission price & better value than the Amerks have been since the Florida fiasco started them on the current downward spiral.

Are you serious?  A 1/2 year salary of $14k is not horrible?  Many of the players are post collegiate.  Having a job at or close to minimum wage in the other 1/2 of the year is terrible.  These are not kids.  They are grownups.  It's not a they are still kids and need time to find out what they want to be when they grow up.  They are grownups.  

Let me add $300 a week for 1/2 year = $7,800.  It's not $14k. 

Edited by GoPre

That was a physical, high intensity, fast game yesterday that for me opens up the possibility that we might be getting the best playoff hockey a little later than usual, this year.

Maybe because 3/4 teams are relatively "new" to this stage of the game, and hungry. (Ducks last Cup a decade ago).

Are you serious?  A 1/2 year salary of $14k is not horrible?  Many of the players are post collegiate.  Having a job at or close to minimum wage in the other 1/2 of the year is terrible.  These are not kids.  They are grownups.  It's not a they are still kids and need time to find out what they want to be when they grow up.  They are grownups.  

Let me add $300 a week for 1/2 year = $7,800.  It's not $14k.

The TOP guys AREN'T getting the AVERAGE, they are the ones getting $14k.

And, while the pay is NOT good, it's not like these guys are in their 40's w/ a family to support.

The TOP guys AREN'T getting the AVERAGE, they are the ones getting $14k.

And, while the pay is NOT good, it's not like these guys are in their 40's w/ a family to support.

So you're only going to use the top players pay as a figure? Have to look at the average, man. Using the highest paid in the SPHL would be like only looking at the highest paid citizens in the U.S.A. Most of us are not making multimillion dollars a year.

And what does supporting a family have to do w/ the quality of hockey being watched in the SPHL?

So you're only going to use the top players pay as a figure? Have to look at the average, man. Using the highest paid in the SPHL would be like only looking at the highest paid citizens in the U.S.A. Most of us are not making multimillion dollars a year.

And what does supporting a family have to do w/ the quality of hockey being watched in the SPHL?

What does any of your rant have to do w/ the Ice Gators?

What does any of your rant have to do w/ the Ice Gators?

Rant w/ the Ice Gators? What are you talking about? I'm simply talking about the SPHL. By the way, the Ice Gators, if you're an actual fan of them, are no longer a part of SPHL. Might want to keep up w/ teams you support.

Rant w/ the Ice Gators? What are you talking about? I'm simply talking about the SPHL. By the way, the Ice Gators, if you're an actual fan of them, are no longer a part of SPHL. Might want to keep up w/ teams you support.

My 1st post, btw, said they MIGHT be back this year after taking a year off for renovations to the dome. If they are back, it at least is pro hockey w/in 2 hours of Potato's new home.

You then went into a long diversion about how awful the hockey is because the players only make $300/ week.

This is most likely my last post on the subject.

There is a game on tied at 1-1 in the third

I ran downstairs for a quick soak in the tub with the score 1-0. When I came inside my cat ran down the stairs crying and freaking out. I asked him "did the pens tie it up, Hobe?"

He cried even louder and ran back up the stairs. Hobe is pulling for the Sens in this series.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.