Deadline Nearly Here! What is GMTM going to do?

GASabresIUFAN

Well first and foremost, I'd like to see a big shake up in the defensive core.  With Murray already re-upping Falk for another season while at only 650K, it makes me gag.  I don't want to see anymore of Bogosian, Gorges, Falk, Fedun (While he has played admirably, it's paultry to have a 28 year old AHL lifer playing the entire season in the top 6.).  I'm ready to trade off anyone who isn't a significant contributor going forward.  This middling results starts with Bylsma and while I loathe Claude Julian, he'd be a massive upgrade.  

I think you may have some seriously unrealistic expectations. You want to see us get rid of Bogosian, Gorges, Falk, and Fedun and ensure that every replacement is an upgrade all in one offseason? How is he supposed to upgrade 4/6 of the defense in one offseason when we are already close to the cap? I think upgrades for 1 or 2 spots is about the best we can hope for unless you're willing to gut the forward ranks and trade at least 2 of Eichel, Reinhart, O'Reilly, Okposo, and Kane because selling off Tyler Ennis, Matt Moulson, or Marcus Foligno isn't going to net you anyone better than Bogosian and that's only if you're lucky. Maybe if he re-signs Kulikov and/or Franson it will push Falk and Fedun back into being injury call ups from Rochester but it's unlikely we're gonna get the big shake up you're requesting.

The Sabres can only protect one goalie and that will be Lehner. Sadly Ullmark is not exempt and will be exposed regardless if we re-sign Nilsson or not.

I didn't forget Florentino. I don't think he has the upside of the others on the list, but I like his physical game and expect the Sabres to sign him this offseason along with Sean Malone, Borgen, Estephan, Petersen and maybe Fitzgerald.

We will not have to worry about Ullmark being drafted by Vegas and I will eat a shoe* if that actually happens. Keep in mind all the other teams need to keep goalies unprotected and I don't think Ullmark will be anywhere close to the top 2 exposed goalies across the league. I can see the Sabres losing Girgensons, Foligno or Larsson to Vegas.

For the deadline I'm not expecting much from Murray, move Gionta and Franson if you can find a buyer and the return isn't going to wow anyone.

A big part of the reason we don't score more goals is beyond Risto and to a lesser extent Franson & McCabe, our defensemen contribute nothing offensively. They can't shoot, they don't pass well, and they generally lack puck skill. Gone are the days of the "defensive defenseman"... Bogosian (team worst -13), Kulikov (second worst on the squad at -8), and Gorges all need to go. Fedun can go too.

I'd throw Gio a one year contract since he is still playing at a high level. And, I'm not sold on RFA forwards Larsson, Girgs and Foligno... I'd probably let Larsson walk.

I can see a scenario where Ullmark is picked: if I'm the Knights, I'm grabbing a solid veteran to be number one and an unproven talent to groom and back him up. The best emerging talents will be protected. How many guys at Ullmark's age and skill level will be available?

McPhee's plan in Vegas will be interesting to watch unfold. He has so many players to choose from, he has to take on a certain amount of salary, is limited to one player per team and a put together a balanced roster. He also has his exclusive free agent window and the ability to make a bunch of wink-nudge deals.

Every pick is going to be depend on other picks.

Edited by dudacek

I can see a scenario where Ullmark is picked: if I'm the Knights, I'm grabbing a solid veteran to be number one and an unproven talent to groom and back him up. The best emerging talents will be protected. How many guys at Ullmark's age and skill level will be available?

McPhee's plan in Vegas will be interesting to watch unfold. He has so many players to choose from, he has to take on a certain amount of salary, is limited to one player per team and a put together a balanced roster. He also has his exclusive free agent window and the ability to make a bunch of wink-nudge deals.

Murray from the Pens. Fleury has to be protected.

You don't think Fleury (or, if push comes to shove, Murray) is going to be dealt?

Teams will not let guys that valuable walk for free.

Is there a team for Fleury?

I agree teams don't let that talent walk for free, but I think there are better 'prospects' than Ulmark out there.

I'm thinking you're probably right, but I bet there are fewer than we think.

If I get time, I'm going to take a look. Emerging, cost-controlled goalies have value in this league.

It depends on whether a GM thinks Ullmark - or others like him - have number one potential.

I'm willing to bet there will be a bit of a goalie carousel heading into the expansion draft.

Is there a team for Fleury?

I agree teams don't let that talent walk for free, but I think there are better 'prospects' than Ulmark out there.

I just can't see a team trading for a goalie that's making close to 6mil, especially with the cap staying flat. Teams know that Pittsburgh would want to get rid of him so his value would be low as well. I think Fluery would be a great pick for Vegas considering the cap hit and all that. I think Vegas will have the mindset of "draft the best player available" and that is going to be Larsson or Girgensons or maybe Ennis or (fingers-crossed) Moulson.

IMO there is a minute chance Ullmark gets picked in the draft considering one or more of Girgensons, Larsson, Gionta, Ennis, Foligno, Moulson, Bogosian will be made available.  My money would be on Girgensons or Larsson.    I really hope they don't protect Larsson, they don't miss him at all since he's been out... you could argue offensive production from the 3rd line has improved since he's been out.  

IMO there is a minute chance Ullmark gets picked in the draft considering one or more of Girgensons, Larsson, Gionta, Ennis, Foligno, Moulson, Bogosian will be made available.  My money would be on Girgensons or Larsson.    I really hope they don't protect Larsson, they don't miss him at all since he's been out... you could argue offensive production from the 3rd line has improved since he's been out.

I would be surprised if KO, ROR, Kane, Foligno, Girgensons, Larsson, Carrier aren't the seven protected.

Losing Moulson benefits us capwise and unless Ennis really perks up in the next six weeks, protecting him is too much of a risk at his cap hit.

Risto, McCabe and Bogosian will be protected unless they sign Kulikov or acquire another D, then Bogosian and his horrible return on cap hit are exposed.

As it stands, I see Vegas picking between Ennis, Moulson, Gorges, DLO, Ullmark and AHL tweeners like Falk.

Of that group, in a vaccuum, I'd take Ullmark.

Who they pick really depends on what their needs are, but the Sabres are in excellent shape for the expansion draft.

Guys like Foligno and Girgensons are going nowhere.

I'm actually looking forward to the Vegas draft and having it take a player that I don't want on the roster. Some would argue "why would you be excited about losing a player for nothing?" but I can't imagine the return of a player being very high for someone you don't want on one of the worst teams in the league. I'd love to see Moulson or to a lesser extent Bogo go mostly for cap reasons.

I'm thinking you're probably right, but I bet there are fewer than we think.

If I get time, I'm going to take a look. Emerging, cost-controlled goalies have value in this league.

It depends on whether a GM thinks Ullmark - or others like him - have number one potential.

I'm willing to bet there will be a bit of a goalie carousel heading into the expansion draft.

So I checked and I don think Ullmark will be in Vegas.

And not because there are a ton of better options unprotected.

I'll explain on the expansion thread.

I would be surprised if KO, ROR, Kane, Foligno, Girgensons, Larsson, Carrier aren't the seven protected.

Losing Moulson benefits us capwise and unless Ennis really perks up in the next six weeks, protecting him is too much of a risk at his cap hit.

Risto, McCabe and Bogosian will be protected unless they sign Kulikov or acquire another D, then Bogosian and his horrible return on cap hit are exposed.

As it stands, I see Vegas picking between Ennis, Moulson, Gorges, DLO, Ullmark and AHL tweeners like Falk.

Of that group, in a vaccuum, I'd take Ullmark.

Who they pick really depends on what their needs are, but the Sabres are in excellent shape for the expansion draft.

Guys like Foligno and Girgensons are going nowhere.

You do realize that Ennis is finding his game.  He has 1g and 3a in th 4 February games and is +3 in those games.  Protecting players with concussion histories and long-term contracts is a significant risk.  But protecting an easily replaced 3/4 center like Larsson  vs a talented and proven top 6 scorer doesn't make much sense.  I agree that offense has improved with Girgensons playing the 3rd line center over Larsson.  

If our available talent is as below, who are you taking?  I'm still taking Ullmark.  He is young, cheap, talented and has shown he can play in the NHL.  I wouldn't be surprised if LV takes 3-4 goalies.  Remember they are going to stock an AHL team as well.  

G- Ullmark

D - Gorges, Falk

F - Larsson, Delo, Moulson

If GMTM is smart, he uses one of our extra picks and maybe a prospect to get LV  to by pass Ullmark.

In a vacuum I take Larsson.

He's of an age and a mindset he could eat up a lot of tough minutes on an expansion team and has some room for growth.

But there could be salary cap incentive for taking Gorges or Moulson, along with the fact they can help a young Knights team the same way they have a young Sabres team, as mentors to the young guys, plus they are the types of guys that might have value at the deadline.

You certainly could argue that Ullmark has the best upside though.

But there will be better goalies available.

Another thing about Linus, I like him, but he's not an essential piece to the pipeline. Lehner is one of the youngest starters in the league. Nilsson is young and we should be able re-sign him, or failing that someone serviceable. And Peterson succeeds Ullmark as our young guy in waiting.

I'd love it if you were right about Ennis, because I really used to enjoy his game.

I just don't see it right now though. Larsson and Girgensons together have a lower cap hit, are playing better, and seem like better fits for this team's stated style.

Edited by dudacek

Quick note: The Sabres are in a really good cap place for next season even if Kane, Moulson and Gorges all return. We have 9 forwards under contract including Carrier for 32 million, plus 6 D including Guhle for 18 mill. RFas are Foligno, Larsson, Girgensons and Lehner with Nilsson and Gionta as our only "key" UFAs. If all are re-signed, I think that adds around $14 mill to our cap but basically completes the roster leaving 9 to 11 mill to upgrade the D. I doubt all 6 FAs will be back and that all signed players will be back, but at least this gives us a sense of what GMTM is seeing entering the deadline and then the off-season.

Edited by GASabresIUFAN

You do realize that Ennis is finding his game.  He has 1g and 3a in th 4 February games and is +3 in those games.  Protecting players with concussion histories and long-term contracts is a significant risk.  But protecting an easily replaced 3/4 center like Larsson  vs a talented and proven top 6 scorer doesn't make much sense.  I agree that offense has improved with Girgensons playing the 3rd line center over Larsson.  

If our available talent is as below, who are you taking?  I'm still taking Ullmark.  He is young, cheap, talented and has shown he can play in the NHL.  I wouldn't be surprised if LV takes 3-4 goalies.  Remember they are going to stock an AHL team as well.  

G- Ullmark

D - Gorges, Falk

F - Larsson, Delo, Moulson

If GMTM is smart, he uses one of our extra picks and maybe a prospect to get LV  to by pass Ullmark.

I don't agree at all and I will be surprised if Ennis is protected.

I think GMTM will be very happy if Vegas takes Ennis or Moulson.

I don't agree at all and I will be surprised if Ennis is protected.

I think GMTM will be very happy if Vegas takes Ennis or Moulson.

I concur, and I believe Ennis will be the one they select given length and cost of contract combined with skill set and the flexibility Ennis had shown to play either wing.

I concur, and I believe Ennis will be the one they select given length and cost of contract combined with skill set and the flexibility Ennis had shown to play either wing.

I don't think Vegas will take Ennis.  Too much money for too little production.

Now, depending on Vegas' budget for the next couple of years, I could see them taking Moulson -- if they need to get to the cap floor, Moulson's cap hit is I believe around $2MM higher per year than his actual cash cost, so he would add value in that way, as well as perhaps 12-15 goals if he were to get a featured offensive role. 

I don't think Vegas will take Ennis.  Too much money for too little production.

Now, depending on Vegas' budget for the next couple of years, I could see them taking Moulson -- if they need to get to the cap floor, Moulson's cap hit is I believe around $2MM higher per year than his actual cash cost, so he would add value in that way, as well as perhaps 12-15 goals if he were to get a featured offensive role.

Good points.

I wonder if Moulson's last year would hinder UFA scenario's for them given the AAV. That's why I went Ennis. You may very well be correct.

Looking at the RFA list, I realize that next season is critical.  Both Samson and Jack could leave if they don't see adequate progress on the team.  I don't want to wait until the off season to change coaches.  The Sabres have literally too much to lose.

Exactly, you can see Jack's frustration this season. Losing his #### in the dressing room. yapping about the home fans booing in post game interviews. He gives a crap and management had better do something to keep our youngsters happy. DD is not it. They're being wasted. if we keep DD, they will go the first chance they get when they are able, and we can sit back and watch them produce for another club and get on these blogs and bitch about it some more and ream about what could have been in Buffalo.

Exactly, you can see Jack's frustration this season. Losing his #### in the dressing room. yapping about the home fans booing in post game interviews. He gives a crap and management had better do something to keep our youngsters happy. DD is not it. They're being wasted. if we keep DD, they will go the first chance they get when they are able, and we can sit back and watch them produce for another club and get on these blogs and bitch about it some more and ream about what could have been in Buffalo.

Awesome avatar, man. Bruce Campbell is the f'n man! I hope Ash vs Evil Dead goes on forever.

so 6pts out of the playoffs with 2.5 months to play, are we giving up on that? how many more seasons of this? why not be buyers and try to make a push? what's trading your second leading scorer for a prospect D going to do for you next season? nothing. 

as sabres fans, you're always looking at success two years down the road. it's an insane mindset that never comes to fruition. 

Edited by RonHextallsShoulderPads

Awesome avatar, man. Bruce Campbell is the f'n man! I hope Ash vs Evil Dead goes on forever.

If you ever get that chance to meet the man (Comic Con, Fan Expo etc) He is well worth the money. Terrific to his fans and gracious. No pompous prima donna. He had the biggest lineups full of much younger people then me,which just goes to show you how he connects with a new generation of fans. It was amazing!

so 6pts out of the playoffs with 2.5 months to play, are we giving up on that? how many more seasons of this? why not be buyers and try to make a push? what's trading your second leading scorer for a prospect D going to do for you next season? nothing. 

as sabres fans, you're always looking at success two years down the road. it's an insane mindset that never comes to fruition. 

All I want is Julien and preferably right the #### now, for exactly the reason you've mentioned above. We are still close and cannot afford to lose any ground. I think he can push us through. I want to see how Lehner plays in the playoffs where shootouts don't exist. I would love to hear First Niagara Centre rock with noise and anticipation again!

If you ever get that chance to meet the man (Comic Con, Fan Expo etc) He is well worth the money. Terrific to his fans and gracious. No pompous prima donna. He had the biggest lineups full of much younger people then me,which just goes to show you how he connects with a new generation of fans. It was amazing!

All I want is Julien and preferably right the #### now, for exactly the reason you've mentioned above. We are still close and cannot afford to lose any ground. I think he can push us through. I want to see how Lehner plays in the playoffs where shootouts don't exist. I would love to hear First Niagara Centre rock with noise and anticipation again!

That's awesome. I actually just applied to be on some new horror themed game show that he's supposed to be hosting. I doubt I'll be selected since they are probably looking for aspiring models and actors and that's definitely not me, but we'll see how it goes.