Column: Pegulas should take a step back

PASabreFan

Now comes the harder part for the Pegulas, something Robert Kraft could teach them from experience, and that’s the simple realization that owning isn’t knowing. Sports teams are complex businesses, based on human performance, endeavors vastly different than buying land, drilling deep, and siphoning off Mother Nature’s bountiful riches.

When the owner fires the coach, then turns his GM into a dithering fool, repeatedly saying he’s “not privy’’ to the biggest decision on the team, that should be enough for Terry Pegula to realize he is in way over his head. Time to step back, hand both operations to true professionals, and eventually reap the rewards.

Until then, the Pegulas are only in for more craziness and more hurt, both of which have flowed deep through Buffalo for far too long.

https://www.bostonglobe.com/sports/patriots/2017/01/07/the-pegulas-should-take-step-back-with-bills-and-sabres/80Y0oMLRl87FdQKzjCPl0I/story.html

I wish the Pegulas could pry Mark Murphy away from the Packers and have him become President and CEO of the Bills.

He has been around the NFL long enough to earn respect around the league and could build a proper football department. He grew up in Clarence which is his link to WNY

The draft in any sport only re-confirms the old adage....

It's better to be lucky than good...

And the Bills have been neither :(

Another example of luck: the Cowboys were going to draft Connor Cook, but Oakland snagged him. The result? Dallas drafts Dak Prescott.

Please don't forget how upset Jerrah was he didn't unload all of his draft picks for Paxton Lynch.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000659100/article/jerry-jones-regrets-not-overpaying-to-get-paxton-lynch

The inference I drew is that Kraft started out like Pegula, then "learned his lesson." I have no desire to delve into Pats history that far to confirm it.

That would be great if Pegula is on Craft's *learning curve* time line. It still requires a large amount of luck to be as successful an owner as Craft.

I'll also acknowledge that the writer's angle is, at least to an extent, consonant with PA's long-held conviction that a true "fan" as owner would turn over management to experienced professionals, sign the checks, and, absent persistent failure, do little more (other than perhaps hire new experienced professionals if the incumbents were foundering).

That also goes to the theory that Pegula is scratching an itch other than his genuine fandom when he does things like hire and fire his team's head coach, without directly involving the GM.

I never really credited PA's near-blind-trust mandate of sports franchise ownership, but that was mostly because I didn't imagine that the Pegulas would be as intensively hands-on as they've shown to be (i.e., meddlers!). 

I would not imagine that Kraft is entirely passive in his role as owner either.

But the fact of the matter is that the Pegulas, by all accounts to date, are far more involved than they should be in football operations and desperately need someone to come in at the top executive level, and both right and steady the ship before the owners run it aground (again).

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.