At least we have some D coming....in a year or three

GASabresIUFAN

Casey Fitzgerald made Team USA. Will Borgen made it last year and has been one the NCAA's most consistently solid D the last 2 seasons. Guhle looked solid again in his debut with the Sabres.

We literally have no real prospect in the AHL, unless Nelson learns to play D. All three are likely to turn pro after this season. It should be interesting to see how they develop over the next couple of seasons. McCabe and Pysyk benefited from their time in the AHL.

So what do we do to bridge the gap until these guys are ready?

until then? gorges, bogo, franson. yeah it sucks, but it is what it is.

d isn't the problem tho. it's goal scoring and a culture of losing.

i think the goals will come eventually, but it might be a while until the culture changes where losing becomes unacceptable.

Casey Fitzgerald made Team USA. Will Borgen made it last year and has been one the NCAA's most consistently solid D the last 2 seasons. Guhle looked solid again in his debut with the Sabres.

We literally have no real prospect in the AHL, unless Nelson learns to play D. All three are likely to turn pro after this season. It should be interesting to see how they develop over the next couple of seasons. McCabe and Pysyk benefited from their time in the AHL.

No bridge. Gorges is a warrior but is no longer functional. Bring Guhle in NOW.

i think the goals will come eventually, but it might be a while until the culture changes where losing becomes unacceptable.

An improved D would help with this immediately. The leagues most prolific D groups have 20+ goals this season. We have 4. We also don't have enough scoring talent up front, but i think a more active D would create more scoring chances for our forwards. As I said in my rant on the Murray/DD threads, we need to open up our game, scores be dammed and see what happens. If we are going to lose, at least be entertaining.

No bridge. Gorges is a warrior but is no longer functional. Bring Guhle in NOW.

I thought so to for a while, but why waste a year of his ELC on a crappy team that has no chance of succeeding? Why subject him to this losing culture?

Fyi: Both Borgen and Fitzgerald will be 20 next season and are eligible for the AHL (actually both are eligible now, but don't yet have contracts). Guhle is still only 19 and won't be 20 until July 2017. So it only Jr. or Buffalo next season.

Karlsson is a UFA in 2019. Prepare the truck and back it up

I'd be shocked if he wasn't re-signed prior to Ufa status

Team defense might not be a problem but having capable puck movers on the backend, a philosophy GMTM believes in, is a problem. They might have 2.5 of those right now.

I'd be shocked if he wasn't re-signed prior to Ufa status

Team defense might not be a problem but having capable puck movers on the backend, a philosophy GMTM believes in, is a problem. They might have 2.5 of those right now.

Yup. A guy that can simply make a nice break out pass that no one really notices is worth a ton of offense. At the best it creates odd man rushes but usually it means the puck just is not in your zone and is at least headed up ice. Duncan Keith really does not touch the puck for long, its on his stick and gone. He tilts the ice in the other direction

From one IU alum to another, Merry Christmas and Happy New Year.

The subject line... when has this ever been not true?

Where do these up and comers disappear to?

Actually a lot of our depth picks of the past 5 years until recently have been on forwards. Jake McCabe was picked in the 2nd in 2012 however. He's come pretty far in 4 years.

Just to illustrate, here are our picks on D in rounds 2 and 3:

2009: McNabb (starting in LA)

2010: Mackenzie, Leduc (busts)

2011: 0

2012: McCabe (hit)

2013: 0

2014: Martin (bust)

2015: Guhle

2016: Fitzgerald

Edited by NewinBuffalo

From one IU alum to another, Merry Christmas and Happy New Year.

Thank you!  My best to you and yours.  I will be glued to the TV for the IU vs Louisville game.  Can't wait.

I raised this discussion because I thought we still need another puck mover just as Inkman suggested, regardless of whether any or all of the prospects mentioned make the team eventually.  It doesn't have to be a Fowler or Shattenkirk, but maybe someone on the next level down.  

However, I think all 3 of the prospects mentioned have a better then average shot of making the Sabres.  Guhle has already shown that he is nearing NHL ready.  Borgen and Fitzgerald, by making the USA Jr roster last year for Borgen (and being one of the team's steadier D) and this year for Fitzgerald, coupled with the guys continued improvement, I think both have shown that they are better prospects then their draft position.  Really they remind me of McCabe. Borgen tends to be more of the D responsible side and Fitzgerald on the offensive side. 

Edited by GASabresIUFAN

An improved D would help with this immediately. The leagues most prolific D groups have 20+ goals this season. We have 4. We also don't have enough scoring talent up front, but i think a more active D would create more scoring chances for our forwards. As I said in my rant on the Murray/DD threads, we need to open up our game, scores be dammed and see what happens. If we are going to lose, at least be entertaining.

I thought so to for a while, but why waste a year of his ELC on a crappy team that has no chance of succeeding? Why subject him to this losing culture?

Fyi: Both Borgen and Fitzgerald will be 20 next season and are eligible for the AHL (actually both are eligible now, but don't yet have contracts). Guhle is still only 19 and won't be 20 until July 2017. So it only Jr. or Buffalo next season.

If Guhle turns 20 this summer, he's eligible for the AHL next season (2017-18).

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.