Jack Eichel Perimeter Scorer?

GASabresIUFAN

Jack 'jacked' up his ankle getting tangled up in front of the net with Girgensons, let him do what he does and rip his wicked shots and let the wingers clean up what doesn't go in.

With his current points per game and goals per game pace, he would have 93 points and 51 goals (averages of course and playing a full 82 game season) .  I think he should just keep doing what he's doing.

I love the Sedin comparison. No standout physical skill that will pop off the ice at you, but a sublime hockey brain. Took him, what, 4 years to hit his potential?

Seven from the time he was drafted (goals/points):

00: Sweden (didn't come over after his draft year)

01: 9/29

02: 16/36

03: 8/39

04: 11/42

05: Sweden (lockout)

06: 18/75

His peak years: 112 and 94 points happened in seasons 11 and 12.

He really is the perfect comparison. He's the same size and build as Reinhart, an average skater and shooter like Reinhart, has sublime hands and vision like Reinhart, is a non-hitter who was accused of being soft because he doesn't initiate like Reinhart, and a calm competitor who never gets rattled like Reinhart.

Each went in the top three of the draft and didn't wow people early.

All Sam is missing is a Swedish twin who can snipe on his flank.

Maybe that will be Nylander's role: He doesn't look like Sam, but he is Swedish and they both have great flow.

Another interesting thing about Hank: he took for 11 full seasons without missing a game. That to me is the definition of tough.

Edited by dudacek

You can see Eichel as a guy who normally doesn't score from the dirty areas or you can see him as one of the few forwards in the league who can consistently score with a lethal outside shot. 

If the Sabres ever learn to pass onetimers as a team, Eichel-Risto on the power play point can be lethal. 

I compare Eichel's shot with Stamkos and would like him to establish where his special spot is on the ice ( like Stamkos from the bottom of the left faceoff circle,)  where he can release that vicious one-timer over and over again consistently from an angle that suits him.

If the Sabres ever learn to pass onetimers as a team, Eichel-Risto on the power play point can be lethal.

Not sure if this is a learned skill. I think you have it or you don't. Much like the arguments during the tank years that players needed to learn to not pass into teammates skates or not shoot at the goalie's chest. Amazing what an influx of talented players has done to those perceptions.

Not sure if this is a learned skill. I think you have it or you don't. Much like the arguments during the tank years that players needed to learn to not pass into teammates skates or not shoot at the goalie's chest. Amazing what an influx of talented players has done to those perceptions.

We've seen really bad shooting and passing these last few years and have unfortunately come to expect it.

I think one-timer passes can be practiced and is a learned skill like any other skill although you have to have the talent. But it has to be close to exact to work. You have to feed your teammate exactly in the wheelhouse.

I'm thinking one-timers from the top of each faceoff circle with Eichel and Ristolainen as a consistent powerplay go-to play. They both have the shot. If the rest of them can work out the passes, they have tons of potential.

Edited by Marvelo

When you have a kid as talented as Jack Eichel, you let him do what he does, you don't try to change the way he plays. He's an artist, let him express himself through his craft.

Patrick Kane is also a perimeter scorer, I don't think anybody has a problem with his game.

I watched the Hawks game last night. I was somewhat surprised by how often Kane was in and around the crease. Like you, I used to think he was mostly a perimeter player, but since they added Panarin, I think he plays more of a Crosby type game. This is where I want Jack to grow in his development. I want him to seize any and all opportunites that come his way whether they are around the crease or at the faceoff circle.

Oh by the way, all artists develop over time; how different periods did Picasso have?

FYI: Jack is 0-0-0 -3 in his last 3 games. All 3 have gone to OT and the Sabres have lost two of them in the SO. The Sabres have 5 losses since Jack returned and he has been blanked in all five and 6 times overall since his return, bringing the teams record in the last 10 to 5-2-3.

Edited by GASabresIUFAN

• 2 months later...

since Nov 29th (date of Eichel returning)

NHL scoring race:

1) Marchant

2) Crosby

3) Malkin

4) Kane

5) Burns

6) Backstrom

7) Granlund

8) Eichel

9) McDavid

Mcdavid has played 3 less games

O'Reilly 38th

Kane 41

Samson 74

Risto 71 (7th for D)

Okposo 81

Then scoring falls off a cliff. Maybe scoring is this unbalanced on most teams but I think it shows that the depth on this team is still a major issue.

Oh and it shows that Jack is already one of the leagues best players and shouldn't take a backseat to anyone - including Mcdavid and Matthews

since Nov 29th (date of Eichel returning)

NHL scoring race:

1) Marchant

2) Crosby

3) Malkin

4) Kane

5) Burns

6) Backstrom

7) Granlund

8) Eichel

9) McDavid

Mcdavid has played 3 less games

O'Reilly 38th

Kane 41

Samson 74

Risto 71 (7th for D)

Okposo 81

Then scoring falls off a cliff. Maybe scoring is this unbalanced on most teams but I think it shows that the depth on this team is still a major issue.

Oh and it shows that Jack is already one of the leagues best players and shouldn't take a backseat to anyone - including Mcdavid and Matthews

Not only did Todd Merchant unretire but to also lead the league in scoring at 44, unreal.

Not only did Todd Merchant unretire but to also lead the league in scoring at 44, unreal.

Sabres are also 8th in goals scored since he returned after being dead last without him. Listening to some NHL guy's analytics for Eichel, he is 3rd in some points per 20 or something like that(can't remember exactly), he leads the NHL in times per game he carries the puck out of the defensive zone, and leads the NHL in times per game he carries it into the offensive zone. Basically the NHL guy said people just don't realize how great he is yet but they are starting to come around...said his analytics rank McDavid and Eichel as a near coin flip right now in terms of who is better...

Edited by matter2003

Matter, I looked recently for a goal chart to see if Jack was playing any differently around the net this season vs last.  Couldn't find one.  I do feel that he is playing a little more around the net, but when I looked at his goals YTD almost all are wrist shots, with a couple of slappers.  He does have one tip-in and one quick snap shot near the net.  

The thing I feel with jack is that he will continue to get better and better and a complete hockey player...with Mathews and even McDavid, what you see is what you get. They are great no doubt but they pretty-much are at their elite level already and certainly with Toronto or Edmonton there ain't no hope in hell they will ever improve defensively. I feel if jack was left alone to freewheel and not worry about defensive-zone coverage he would put up even better numbers...

Eichel is murder when he's one on one on another forward, especially on a power play where the other team is already at a disadvantage. Example A is how Jack cannibalized Atkinson last night, turning him inside out with three separate moves, including a spinerama, in less than 5 seconds. Eichel easily shook the BJ which  put him in the clear to deliver the perfect pass to Kane for the GWG...so satisfying!

I haven't seen a skater like Eichel on the team since Mogilny and Perreault. He's worth the price of admission alone.

Sabres are also 8th in goals scored since he returned after being dead last without him.

I just double checked this, because it was so shocking.  Buffalo through Nov 28: 38 goals, dead last and 6 goals behind Colorado as the second worst team.  Nov 29-now, 138 goals and tied for 7th with Nashville in that span (though Nashville played 1 fewer game).  Amazing.

I am not taking a cheap shot at Jack.  He might be the most talented forward to ever suit up for the Sabres and that is saying alot, considering, LaFontaine, Perreault, Hawerchuk, Martin, Mogilny and Turgeon all played for us.  

Jack has great speed, is a excellent stickhandler, has vision and a wicked wrist shot, and we saw much of that on display last night. Last night's performance made me think of how Jack scores his goals.  Jack has scored 29 goals in his first 89 NHL games and he will improve from here.  When you think about those goals, how many do you remember from the "dirty areas?"  How many off tip ins, how many off rebounds? Off hand, I can't think of any, although I'm sure there is a rebound or two in the 29.  They all seem to be from around the faceoff circle or above with his wicked shot.  The second goal last night was the perfect example of a Jack goal.  He took the puck up the boards, used his hands and speed to find an open area and release a bomb of a shot to the top corner of the net.  

Contrast that to Sam Reinhart, who seems to score all his goals on tip ins or rebounds around the net.  

Granted they play different roles on the team (especially on the PP), but how dangerous can Jack become if he starts to get some goals in those dirty areas?  Could he become a 40-50 goal scorer?

They showed a map yesterday of where Eichel's shots have been coming from. Of his last 69 prior to last night's game, 11 were from just outside the crease. ~15% was higher than I'd expected. Most of those 11 were probably off a play where he drove to the net after bringing it low into the zone.

Eichel easily shook the BJ...

I've tried some moves but shaking hasn't been one. Thrusting, Trumping (use your free hand to grab...) the Lindy (smacking the side of the head with your stick) the Ted (neighbors wife), The Millsie surprise (it helps to have one eye higher than the other) I could go on...

Eichel is turning into an elite player right before our eyes....leading the NHL in scoring since February 1st...averaging a point a game...starting to make people look silly multiple times a game now, especially when he has the puck on the power play and just holds it while drawing 2 or 3 guys to him and then finds the wide open guy for an easy goal...he is turning into everything we hoped he would be and I can't wait to see what is in store next year...

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.