GDT: Buffalo at Boston, 7:00 PM ET, 11/07/2017

Doohickie

Even if it doesn't get them going, it at least gets Moulson off the top line.

Ya. I mean, the net gain of adding Reinhart to the top line is going to be greater than what you lose in scoring depth by breaking up line 3, as they aren't even scoring much together. Moving Reinhart to line one will not only I suspect increase the output of that line, it'll at least give us one line then can consistently score. Not having Jack has really limited our ability to ice two lines with an ability to score, and it'll be that way until Jack is back, Reinhart is able to manage the centre position, or he gets wingers more capable of producing with him. Might as well cut our losses and put together at least one line that can get it done offensively. Add in a quality grind-it-out line with Larsson and co., and just hope for a lucky bounce with line 3. I'd go with:

Reinhart - O'Reilly - Okposo

Foligno - Larsson - Gionta

Carrier - Girgensons - Baptiste

Ennis - Grant - Moulson

I really think that works out better.

Edited by Thorny

Ya. I mean, the net gain of adding Reinhart to the top line is going to be greater than what you lose in scoring depth by breaking up line 3, as they aren't even scoring much together. Moving Reinhart to line one will not only I suspect increase the output of that line, it'll at least give us one line then can consistently score. Not having Jack has really limited our ability to ice two lines with an ability to score, and it'll be that way until Jack is back, Reinhart is able to manage the centre position, or he gets wingers more capable of producing with him. Might as well cut our losses and put together at least one line that can get it done offensively. Add in a quality grind-it-out line with Larsson and co., and just hope for a lucky bounce with line 3. I'd go with:

Carrier - Girgensons - Baptiste

Ennis - Grant - Moulson

I really think that works out better.

I think I'd switch up the wings on the 3rd and 4th lines:

Ennis - Girgensons - Baptiste

Carrier - Grant - Moulson

...but that's quibbling.

I thought this was Zemgus's best game of the year so far.

I'd still like to see Reinhart on the top line in place of Moulson, as I think that's what will draw the most offense out of Reinhart, the top line, and therefore the team.

Girgs looks okay and he's skating hard, he's just not a point producer. (And neither Ennis, at this point)

I'd still like to see Reinhart on the top line in place of Moulson, as I think that's what will draw the most offense out of Reinhart, the top line, and therefore the team.

Girgs looks okay and he's skating hard, he's just not a point producer. (And neither Ennis, at this point)

I agree. I think Zemgus has been pretty bad this year, so saying it was his best game is faint praise.

Reinhart hasn't played LW other than one or two games this season. He's been at RW or C.

Reinhart hasn't played LW other than one or two games this season. He's been at RW or C.

I have been considering the idea of splitting up Okposo and O'Reilly. Let Sam ride shotgun with O'Reilly, and let Okposo drive the offense on our second line.

I think at this point, Sam is an excellent complimentary piece, but he's not quite at the level where he can create offense for a line all by himself. I think he would be better off as center of the second line if we had anybody better than Ennis and Zemgus to flank him. Unfortunately, right now we don't. When Kane gets back... maybe.

Or, have Sam center Okposo and x. Then O'Reilly plays with x and x. The first option gives us a better chance to win, I think. But it's not clear cut to me.

I am continually impressed with the play of ROR. It's the only good take-away I had from last night's game...............

I thought this was Zemgus's best game of the year so far.

I thought on the whole the Sabres were the more physical team led by Z, Gorges, Foligno and McCabe.  Kinda tired of looking for positives in losses at this point, but the difference last night was the dumb penalties (OReilly, Z, McCabe, Grant), Lehner laying an egg, and the lack of elite finishing skill amongst our forwards. 

But if I recal correctly he looked good those 2 games, and him, Okposo and ROR connected on a sweet passing play for Okposo's first. I think Sam would be fine on the left for the time being, and produce more on his off side with ROR and Okposo than he would on his proper side with the likes of Girgensons and Ennis.

But if I recal correctly he looked good those 2 games, and him, Okposo and ROR connected on a sweet passing play for Okposo's first. I think Sam would be fine on the left for the time being, and produce more on his off side with ROR and Okposo than he would on his proper side with the likes of Girgensons and Ennis.

Sam was OK during those two games. He was his usual smart self, but there was something of a learning curve.

Sam was OK during those two games. He was his usual smart self, but there was something of a learning curve.

Sure. But the line was producing. That's the endgame I think

We know Sam has the ability to learn new facets of the game rather quickly, I'm sure he can handle playing on his off wing. He's going to produce more there, on the top line, regardless.

Edited by Thorny

Sure. But the line was producing. That's the endgame I think

We know Sam has the ability to learn new facets of the game rather quickly, I'm sure he can handle playing on his off wing. He's going to produce more there, on the top line, regardless.

Yes but that is because they will open up space for him and right now he is playing weak hockey.

Rob Ray noted it last night how a puck chipped around the boards and Reinhart went to the board to get the puck stick first and never put his body in there. Lost the puck btw. He needs to better and Eichel not being here isn't the reason. Reinhart is playing tentative hockey. 

We've been here recently and I'm not beating this dead horse again.

If you think Reinhart will produce more than Moulson on the top line, we are on the same page re: the lines discussion. If you don't, we are further away on Reinhart than I thought.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.