Is our Defense Good Enough?

GASabresIUFAN

Status of our D.

1) Risto - no contract

2) Kulikov - Butt bone bruise - say that 3 times fast.

3) Bogosian - Grion injury, again!

4) Strachan - ankle sprain

5) Fedun - just returned from foot fractures.

6) Nelson - -5 against Toronto

Not exactly inspiring confidence.

Meh, three of those guys are Amerks

Right now I'd even net excited with a Mike Weber signing.

There were guys available. Murray chose not to pursue them.

Bogosian with a mild groin strain according to Bylsma. So it starts.

*dives back into bunker to avoid incoming artillery*

This is like in school, the times when you are getting closer and closer to an upcoming test, and you start to get more and more nervous. Any faux confidence I had in the D is evaporating quickly: the line-up is not confidence inspiring.

I think Kulikov and Ristolainen will do a good job holding down the top pair. After that, who knows. Our hope has to be that McCabe has elevated himself to true second pairing status, and that Bogosian somehow manages to stay healthy. Both risky propositions. The third pair is going to be a nightmare.

Imagine if Murray had brought in upgrades for the second pair (I know - easier said than done). A third pair of McCabe and Bogosian would leave us in a much more promising situation.

This is like in school, the times when you are getting closer and closer to an upcoming test, and you start to get more and more nervous. Any faux confidence I had in the D is evaporating quickly: the line-up is not confidence inspiring.

I think Kulikov and Ristolainen will do a good job holding down the top pair. After that, who knows. Our hope has to be that McCabe has elevated himself to true second pairing status, and that Bogosian somehow manages to stay healthy. Both risky propositions. The third pair is going to be a nightmare.

Imagine if Murray had brought in upgrades for the second pair (I know - easier said than done). A third pair of McCabe and Bogosian would leave us in a much more promising situation.

I salute your analogy. Perfect :lol:

I wanted three new defensemen. I got one. Sadness. I can only hope we open things up and attack more often, because if we're hemmed in our own end a lot again it's not gonna be pretty.

I salute your analogy. Perfect :lol:

I wanted three new defensemen. I got one. Sadness. I can only hope we open things up and attack more often, because if we're hemmed in our own end a lot again it's not gonna be pretty.

Yup. I don't know what's more worrisome: that we only got 1, or that Murray might think that is enough. I guess we'll see.

That's about it

• 2 weeks later...

After watching the Montreal game, i'm more convinved then ever the GMTM must do something to insure that we aren't playing Gorges and Franson every night. They should never be in the lineuo at the same time. DD puts them on 2 seperate lines which then ruins 2/3 of our defense. That can't be allowed.

I know Nelson wasn't great in game 1, but at least he has potential. Franson is finished product and isn't going to get better.

Once Kulikov gets healthy, I'd like to see the following.

1) at least 22 minutes a night for Risto, McCabe, Kulikov and Bogo, pairings at DD's discretion.

2) 16 minutes for Nelson/Gorges and not a minute more. Let Gorges tutor Nelson.

3) Franson waived and sent to Rochester

4) Find a real NHL D to be the 7th d. I don't care who it is, but get someone who has played more then 30 NHL games in his career.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.