What to do with Moulson?

dudacek

Slow down and get off your high horse. Did I insult or accuse you? No I didn't. I asked for the number because you said he was doing X and I wanted to know what the number was. My question then is will he continue to remain at that number or will it go up or down. Fairly certain I discussed that in my reply. I actually am curious to see what that number does going forward. If it stays roughly there, that's great, Moulson is doing good. I don't believe it will and I don't trust that number until we see more games because of the small sample size.

So no "come on man with all due respect" patronizing BS, if at 10 games Moulson is still generating that number he is clearly helping the team. That number could easily go higher. As to why the trend won't continue... he is about to play on the Sabres top line which means he will see not 3rd and 4th line opposition but 1st and 2nd line opponents, that usage change will impact his numbers, how is unknown. 

As to the bolded, yes. When I watch these games, Matt Moulson is not generating his own offense. He is an offensive passenger getting his opportunities because of the work someone else did. I am glad his hands are better and he can collect those passes to the center of the ice. Realistically though he is not driving possession more of an offensive opportunists. He's an offensive passenger that doesn't pass my eye test. Sam Reinhart minus the couple of nice passes for set ups also is sitting near that level for me right now in comparison. He isn't driving his line to be better. The difference is a 33 year old player is who he is and Reinhart at 20 has the oppurtunity to improve. Matt Moulson is maybe a 18goal player. 

You asked for a number, I provided it, then you wrote an entire paragraph about "tossing out his shots per 60min doesn't mean a lot to me".     That's insulting.

Moulson is not a guy who generates his own offense, he never will, that's not his game, that's not what he's paid to do.    He's paid to finish plays around the net.   He has a knack for scoring goals, every team needs a guy like that.   If he can do that will not being a liability (like he was last season), then he's helping the team.    

You asked for a number, I provided it, then you wrote an entire paragraph about "tossing out his shots per 60min doesn't mean a lot to me".     That's insulting.

Moulson is not a guy who generates his own offense, he never will, that's not his game, that's not what he's paid to do.    He's paid to finish plays around the net.   He has a knack for scoring goals, every team needs a guy like that.   If he can do that will not being a liability (like he was last season), then he's helping the team.    

It is insulting to think that shots per 60 isn't the only or best stat for looking at how a player is contributing to the offense? What? 

It is insulting to think that shots per 60 isn't the only or best stat for looking at how a player is contributing to the offense? What? 

It felt like you set me up.    You asked for something (his shots/60), I gave it to you, then you criticized me for giving it to you when you were the one who asked for it.    Why did you ask for it?  

It felt like you set me up.    You asked for something (his shots/60), I gave it to you, then you criticized me for giving it to you when you were the one who asked for it.    Why did you ask for it?  

I criticized the stat, not you. Did I say "oh man Pi you so full of it with your crappy stats!" No. I looked at SHOTS per 60mins with only 33minutes of 5v5 play as an unstable stat right now. We should see if it stabilizes as tops on the team. Why did I ask? Because I wanted to know what the it actual was and my phone wouldn't load the webpage.

Moulson started out well last season too, but if this is the new him, he has transformed himself from an utter black hole to someone I don't mind giving power play time and want in the lineup over the 13th forward. That is a huge jump.

he's made a couple plays tonight, hasn't hurt ROR/Okposo, and that goal was a brilliant drive to the net.

Moulson started out well last season too, but if this is the new him, he has transformed himself from an utter black hole to someone I don't mind giving power play time and want in the lineup over the 13th forward. That is a huge jump.

he's made a couple plays tonight, hasn't hurt ROR/Okposo, and that goal was a brilliant drive to the net.

Maybe he plays well enough to actually get taken in the expansion draft without much bribery from us!

Hes in the 3rd year of a 5 year deal. 2 more years isn't unreasonable at his age.

With how his skating and hands and 5v5 play have deteriorated in the past two years alone, yeah, it is something to worry about.

As long as he is still working on the power play (where all of his goals and points have come so far) though, that prevents this from being a horrifying deal like I had feared.

And wow Matty Mo, when you're hot you're hot I guess :lol: He whiffed on that thing and it snuck in. Keep feeding him.

Moulson on pace for 65.6 goals this season. 

If Washington offered you Alex Ovechkin for Moulson straight up, would you do it? Keep in mind, Alex Ovechkin had the worst plus minus in the league one year.

Slow down and get off your high horse. Did I insult or accuse you? No I didn't. I asked for the number because you said he was doing X and I wanted to know what the number was. My question then is will he continue to remain at that number or will it go up or down. Fairly certain I discussed that in my reply. I actually am curious to see what that number does going forward. If it stays roughly there, that's great, Moulson is doing good. I don't believe it will and I don't trust that number until we see more games because of the small sample size.

So no "come on man with all due respect" patronizing BS, if at 10 games Moulson is still generating that number he is clearly helping the team. That number could easily go higher. As to why the trend won't continue... he is about to play on the Sabres top line which means he will see not 3rd and 4th line opposition but 1st and 2nd line opponents, that usage change will impact his numbers, how is unknown. 

As to the bolded, yes. When I watch these games, Matt Moulson is not generating his own offense. He is an offensive passenger getting his opportunities because of the work someone else did. I am glad his hands are better and he can collect those passes to the center of the ice. Realistically though he is not driving possession more of an offensive opportunists. He's an offensive passenger that doesn't pass my eye test. Sam Reinhart minus the couple of nice passes for set ups also is sitting near that level for me right now in comparison. He isn't driving his line to be better. The difference is a 33 year old player is who he is and Reinhart at 20 has the oppurtunity to improve. Matt Moulson is maybe a 18goal player. 

That first goal last night sure looked like he generated his own opportunity as he single-handedly won the puck battle then drove from behind the net to the front and scored on a power move. I was as skeptical as any but he has looked very potent over the first handful of games this season.

Sorry Liger, but he keeps this up you might be on the wrong side of the argument.

He's looked potent on the power play. His even strength play hasn't been good OR bad.

Both of these are huge improvements over last year, but the talk of protecting him because of this is nonsense IMO.

Oh no doubt, I still don't think he's one of our protected assets come expansion draft, but that has more to do with age and contract situation than his play right now.

Serious question: how many goals would Moulson have to score in order for us to to live with, say, 6 triumphant posts from pi per day?

I think I'm in at 28 goals.

Anything over 20 is good for me. I'm rooting for Moulson to finish out his contract on a high note, as long as he doesn't play so well in his final year that Murray contemplates re-signing him.

Ideal scenario for this team would be, 30 + goals and Las Vegas picks him up.

If he scores 30, he's either getting protected, or traded at the deadline.    They won't lose a 30g scorer for nothing.

Serious question: how many goals would Moulson have to score in order for us to to live with, say, 6 triumphant posts from pi per day?

I think I'm in at 28 goals.

I predicted 30g in the bold prediction thread and got lambasted for it... so you better believe you're all going to hear about it when he's lighting the lamp  :P

If he scores 30, he's either getting protected, or traded at the deadline.    They won't lose a 30g scorer for nothing.

I predicted 30g in the bold prediction thread and got lambasted for it... so you better believe you're all going to hear about it when he's lighting the lamp  :P

we know... :wallbash:

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.