Eastern Conference Dumpster Fire Teams

LGR4GM

In a few threads we have discussed how craptastic Montreal is and how the Bruins are trending down. I wanted to centralize that discussion.  I think Buffalo is on the rise. They have depth and talent. Our defense and GT is a question but I think compared to Montreal, NYR, Boston, and Ottawa that we are trending in the right direction.

So which team in the Eastern Conference is the biggest dumpster fire or soon to be dumpster fire (within 2 years)? 

I had this to say about Boston:

#25 - David Pastrnak, not a bad pick here but honestly I am taking Adrian Kempe if I am Boston

#56 - Ryan Donato, not terrible but Kirkland, Dvorak, Jonas Johansson all sitting around raises and eyebrow

Then this ###### happened. I have never seen a worse series of first round picks in my life. If Boston had drafted Zboril, Connor, Barzal, they would have had an amazing draft class. Or Zboril, Connor, Boeser and again what an amazing first round... instead they take freaking Senyshyn and DeBrusk. DeBrusk might have been okay but then Boeser, Connor and Barzal (who all were ranked higher) played so much better.

#13 - Jakub Zboril, a little early but a good first round pick

#14 - Jake DeBrusk, way early but I guess if you really want him, still confusing with who else was on the board

#15 - Zachary Senyshyn, no just no. Boeser, Connor, Barzal all on the board and they take a guy who was slated for the mid to late 2nd at best.

I need to break down how bad this is. Let's forget Zboril for a touch. This is their 2015/2016 seasons ppg

Debrusk - 1.066ppg WHL

Senyshyn - 0.985ppg OHL

Boeser - 1.429ppg NCAA

Connor - 1.868ppg NCAA

Barzal - 1.517ppg WHL

For comparison Eichel was 1 year younger but put up 1.775ppg in his NCAA year

#14 - Charlie McAvoy, I had them taking him and this is a good pick

#29 - Trent Frederic, the f#ck? He was graded out to late 2nd or early 3rd round guy, projects to be a 2nd line winger at best and they drafted him. Could have had Asplund, Laberge, Hajek, Mascherin, Debrincat but nope they took Trent Frederic...

#49 - Ryan Lindgren, about where he should have gone but Clague and Grundstrom still sitting there and both still ranked higher than Trent Frederic.

They (Montreal) traded a franchise defenseman who grew up dreaming to wear that sweater, respected the hell out of it by putting in maximum effort every time he took the ice, watched them give the C to a guy who only scores empty net goals for months at a time and didn't say a word, had his wonderful personality that the NHL is obviously not yet ready for constantly constrained by ownership, and gave countless hours and dollars and love to the community. Because apparently you don't win with high skill guys like that who aren't robots. You "build like Chicago" (a team made up of high skill guys) and pretend your best non-goalie player by far was the problem, instead of the worst forward lineup in the NHL for a good stretch of time and garbage coaching.

Meanwhile, Desharnais will continue to get top six center ice time.

Montreal needs to do nothing but simmer in the pile of hot garbage they've created for a decade. Their management deserves it.

Edited by LGR4GM

Ya I'm not so sure about Montreal either.  Longer term I think the Subban for Weber trade was dumb.  Also, we've seen what quality of team Montreal is if Price goes down.  But if healthy, they may be our toughest competition for that 3rd divisional spot this year.

The only true dumpster fire in the east right now is Ottawa. That may actually be an insult to some dumpster fires. Its too bad, too, because I think Karlsson is the best D-man in the league right now, and he's stuck on that wreck. If they don't get Hoffman wrapped up they're insane.

The only true dumpster fire in the east right now is Ottawa. That may actually be an insult to some dumpster fires. Its too bad, too, because I think Karlsson is the best D-man in the league right now, and he's stuck on that wreck. If they don't get Hoffman wrapped up they're insane.

Is Columbus such a dumpster fire that they've been charred beyond recognition as a team? :p

Ohh I forgot about Columbus... what say you on the Columbus dumpster fire in which they drafted Luc Dubois over Puljujarvi because... reasons? 

Also Ottawa is a dumpster fire because of their internal cap. I really believe it severally limits how they can pay out bonuses as such making it harder to get players to sign. Ottawa also IMPO drafts just ok and the would need to be excellent to make up for their cap limits.

Ohh I forgot about Columbus... what say you on the Columbus dumpster fire in which they drafted Luc Dubois over Puljujarvi because... reasons? 

Also Ottawa is a dumpster fire because of their internal cap. I really believe it severally limits how they can pay out bonuses as such making it harder to get players to sign. Ottawa also IMPO drafts just ok and the would need to be excellent to make up for their cap limits.

Position over talent at the top of the draft, what could go wrong? Maybe they thought the talent was close enough to do it, but I think most teams would disagree with that assessment.

NJ is still very thin, and Toronto's lineup might look good in a few years, but right now it has to be among the worst in the league. Rangers are my dark horse basement team.

Nice call on the Rangers. If (when) Lundqvist slips, they're doomed. Atrocious blue line, good but not great forwards, and no cap flexibility. Bad combo all around.

Stepan and Brassard. Nice players, could play for my team any day. Just don't want them being #1 and 2. Reminds me of the Roy and Connolly combo, minus the injuries.

Stepan would be a great #2 and Brassard a great #3 but I still want Eichel or someone else as my #1. Wonder if NYR could trade for Duchene. Man that team really is a hodgepodge of pricey UFA signings and stuff. I think they are going down but not to dumpster fire level. They are a step above Montreal in my book.

Stepan would be a great #2 and Brassard a great #3 but I still want Eichel or someone else as my #1. Wonder if NYR could trade for Duchene. Man that team really is a hodgepodge of pricey UFA signings and stuff. I think they are going down but not to dumpster fire level. They are a step above Montreal in my book.

Yea, they're not currently in a horrible spot as they should be a playoff team again (unless Lundqvist tails off). They just seem stuck in limbo with where they can go for real improvement.

Yea, they're not currently in a horrible spot as they should be a playoff team again (unless Lundqvist tails off). They just seem stuck in limbo with where they can go for real improvement.

Their last 1st round draft pick was 2012 I think. Dear god they need to manage assets better.

Go look at Florida's drafts.

They've had a large number of top five picks and benefitted from volume lower down,

Although not a dumpster team, can someone explain to me what a 5 yr old fantasy GM is doing in Fla?

Tom Rowe is 60. You must mean the kid in Arizona.

One of the things that I learned this draft is that it's important to lose. It's important to look at how you do things and say "Maybe I could do this a better way." How drafting is being done is changing quickly. No one was using analytics drafting just two years ago, now a handful of teams are, because most of them realize there's no other way forward. If you look at the results of 2016 draft, some of the worst teams, reputably stupid, ended up drafting real well. Calgary? Who'd a thought? Toronto, never? New Jersey? No way. Well New Jersey peed their first pick, but other than that, they did good.

There are so many contenders for the basement 5 years out. Rangers get nothing out of the draft. Boston does OK, but OK isn't going to cut it. Montreal is terrible, but the management will be replaced shortly, because everyone knows they're terrible. Columbus owners have to have some awareness. Detroit drafted terrible this year, and terrible last year, so they are certainly a contender. Ottawa drafts terribly, hopefully people get fired. My candidate for worst team in 5 years is Pittsburgh, they are getting nothing out of the draft, they are going to trade future here to try to win one more cup, and most importantly, they have no impetus to change.

Rakish, I agree to a point, but analytics without context is also a fools errand.  You can end up with statistical beasts who don't produce on the ice.  You also can't model those players for whom the big stage is where they ultimately blossom.  Shaw is an example but there are others.  I do think we will see more movement toward quantifying performance, but context is still valuable.

Rakish, I agree to a point, but analytics without context is also a fools errand. You can end up with statistical beasts who don't produce on the ice. You also can't model those players for whom the big stage is where they ultimately blossom. Shaw is an example but there are others. I do think we will see more movement toward quantifying performance, but context is still valuable.

The eye test isn't any use here either. Plenty of people get fooled by their eyes on this account.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.