OT - Buffalo Area Apartments

darksabre

As some of you know, Josie and I have been living in two different cities since fall of 2014. It hasn't been easy, but she needed to stay in Rochester longer for her career and I needed to be here for my job. That said, she's decided she wants to try to find a new opportunity and it's time to join me in Buffalo.

Now, we've had an apartment we really like in Rochester for quite a few years. We're hoping to find something we like here, but I don't know much about what is around here. I know the reputations of places in Rochester after all this time. Buffalo, not so much.

I've got a short list of complexes I like around the area from first glance, but I was wondering if anyone has any places they've lived recently or are currently living that they like?

We aren't particularly limiting ourselves to complexes either. I'd settle for someone who knows a good landlord with a property they rent out. Or if one of you is a landlord :lol:

Edited by d4rksabre

Dark have you decided what area you would like to live in? City vs Burbs? And how much are looking to spend per month?

It honestly doesn't matter too much, but probably burbs. I work in Williamsville but we don't know what she's going to be doing.

Basically looking for a 2 bedroom with a deck of some sort and off street parking. Pet friendly. Around $1000/mo is what I expect to pay, but I'd love to go cheaper if the amenities are right.

I'm mostly worried about scammy land lords and neighbors.

If you are willing to thruway commute I could hook you up with a landlord that is good to his tenants.

I'm definitely trying to avoid having both of us thruway commuting. Maybe one of us will have a longer commute across town than the other, but anything that requires tolls is going to be out of the question. 

OMG, don't settle for a complex. There are tons of great legacy two-unit houses around here that have the old, cozy charm.

The Parkside neighborhood in the city. Probably not a lot of off street parking options, though, but living near the park is the only place to live in the city, IMHO.

My first choice would be in Kenmore on the blocks between Elmwood and Delaware. Great, big old doubles with a genuine neighborhood feel. Rents will be well below $1k for much more space.

I would also look around the city of Tonawanda for even lower rent, but an area with a lot of character. The river and creek bike paths are totally worth it, and you have easy access to the 290.

There are similar doubles in the neighborhoods flanking Main St. in Williamsville, but I suspect they're harder to find and at the top of your budget.

OMG, don't settle for a complex. There are tons of great legacy two-unit houses around here that have the old, cozy charm.

The Parkside neighborhood in the city. Probably not a lot of off street parking options, though, but living near the park is the only place to live in the city, IMHO.

My first choice would be in Kenmore on the blocks between Elmwood and Delaware. Great, big old doubles with a genuine neighborhood feel. Rents will be well below $1k for much more space.

I would also look around the city of Tonawanda for even lower rent, but an area with a lot of character. The river and creek bike paths are totally worth it, and you have easy access to the 290.

There are similar doubles in the neighborhoods flanking Main St. in Williamsville, but I suspect they're harder to find and at the top of your budget.

I'm definitely planning to explore houses like you've described. It's just tough to "research" them because they're not static. I have no doubt I could do better on price trying to track down a 2 bed upper in Tonawanda.  :lol:  I've got a friend who has a nice 2 bed upper right near UB South and his downstairs neighbor is great. I'm jealous. I could only pray for that good of an arrangement. I'm crossing my fingers I can get lucky on craigslist like I have in the past. 

What you two should do is drive around areas you like, have a pad, pen and a cellphone with you. Most people will just put a for-rent sign out. Take your time and don't compromise on finding something cool.

You can also find a "Bee" publication in whatever area that interests you. There are still old school owner-occupied landlords who won't use Craig's.

Yeah, people fish the creek and the river. You also have several active rinks in this area with easy access to the ones farther out.

Not to keep tooting the Northtowns horn, but we don't get hit with the same winter weather the Southtowns get, and the services in the Tonawandas are very good. Plus, we have FIOS.

What you two should do is drive around areas you like, have a pad, pen and a cellphone with you. Most people will just put a for-rent sign out. Take your time and don't compromise on finding something cool.

You can also find a "Bee" publication in whatever area that interests you. There are still old school owner-occupied landlords who won't use Craig's.

Yeah, people fish the creek and the river. You also have several active rinks in this area with easy access to the ones farther out.

Not to keep tooting the Northtowns horn, but we don't get hit with the same winter weather the Southtowns get, and the services in the Tonawandas are very good. Plus, we have FIOS.

Schwing! 

I'll 2nd living in the City of Tonawanda. We owned a house there for 13 yrs. Really enjoyed the parks, paths, and restaurants. And d4rk, that section of the canal is great fishing.

Tonawanda is simply fantastic. Miss fishing on the canal as a kid.  :cry: When I lived there I was w/in a very short walking distance. Ives pond is great. 

kdjO8.gif

Bass and Northern Pike heaven.  We had a place right on the canal.  I had a 16' canoe that I'd drag down to the shore and put in after work and catch fish until dark.

Lots of shoreline access from the confluence with the Niagara River to the Tonawanda City line, picks up again at Ellicott Creek Park, and all along the canal towpath.  Hint: work the bridges and any brush you see extending into the creek.  You'd be surprised at the number of bass in that section.

As some of you know, Josie and I have been living in two different cities since fall of 2014. It hasn't been easy, but she needed to stay in Rochester longer for her career and I needed to be here for my job. That said, she's decided she wants to try to find a new opportunity and it's time to join me in Buffalo.

Now, we've had an apartment we really like in Rochester for quite a few years. We're hoping to find something we like here, but I don't know much about what is around here. I know the reputations of places in Rochester after all this time. Buffalo, not so much.

I've got a short list of complexes I like around the area from first glance, but I was wondering if anyone has any places they've lived recently or are currently living that they like?

We aren't particularly limiting ourselves to complexes either. I'd settle for someone who knows a good landlord with a property they rent out. Or if one of you is a landlord :lol:

Call me tomorrow.

If you're looking at the city and 2 family homes, check out Zillow, they have an apartment section. As a landlord of one of those places there was a lot of responses from people, so I assume a lot of owners would put their stuff up there. Here's a shot of 2 br. apartments for under 1000: http://www.zillow.com/homes/for_rent/Buffalo-NY/condo,apartment_duplex_type/17222_rid/2-_beds/0-280491_price/0-1000_mp/any_days/42.954537,-78.803301,42.88175,-78.95299_rect/12_zm/

I can tell you that 1000 for a two bedroom is very reasonable, even in the "nicer" area's of the city. Mine is in Elmwood, a 3 br., and we list at 1200. I have some friends who just rented a 2 bedroom place a little further west of us (between Richmond and Grant) for 800 I think? Me and the wife would love if you guys lived right next door, but I'd say check out North Buffalo (near Hertel) and the Larkin area, too. Lots of 2 family homes, and the prices are reasonable.  Commute from our area to Williamsville would probably be about 20, depending on the day, time, and place in Williamsville. 

I can tell you that I love living in the city, and I can give my speil, but long story short its a ton of fun.

That all said, off street parking will be a hangup in those locations. Here's that same search from before narrowed to pets ok, on-site parking: http://www.zillow.com/homes/for_rent/Buffalo-NY/condo,apartment_duplex_type/17222_rid/2-_beds/0-280491_price/0-1000_mp/any_days/1_pets/1_parking/42.926106,-78.855529,42.889706,-78.930373_rect/13_zm/

Two nice spots, but a lot fewer options.

Anyways, hit me with any more specific questions you might have.

We owned a double in Parkside. I hated living and owning in the city. Services stink, the police are slow, the people are rude and/or scary.

But Delaware Park is one of the most awesome parks in the country, and I've hung out at a lot of parks. If fishing and bike-riding are your things, you can always drive into the city when necessary, but have your things right there at any time in the Northern Burbs.

If you're looking at the city and 2 family homes, check out Zillow, they have an apartment section. As a landlord of one of those places there was a lot of responses from people, so I assume a lot of owners would put their stuff up there. Here's a shot of 2 br. apartments for under 1000: http://www.zillow.com/homes/for_rent/Buffalo-NY/condo,apartment_duplex_type/17222_rid/2-_beds/0-280491_price/0-1000_mp/any_days/42.954537,-78.803301,42.88175,-78.95299_rect/12_zm/

I can tell you that 1000 for a two bedroom is very reasonable, even in the "nicer" area's of the city. Mine is in Elmwood, a 3 br., and we list at 1200. I have some friends who just rented a 2 bedroom place a little further west of us (between Richmond and Grant) for 800 I think? Me and the wife would love if you guys lived right next door, but I'd say check out North Buffalo (near Hertel) and the Larkin area, too. Lots of 2 family homes, and the prices are reasonable.  Commute from our area to Williamsville would probably be about 20, depending on the day, time, and place in Williamsville. 

I can tell you that I love living in the city, and I can give my speil, but long story short its a ton of fun.

That all said, off street parking will be a hangup in those locations. Here's that same search from before narrowed to pets ok, on-site parking: http://www.zillow.com/homes/for_rent/Buffalo-NY/condo,apartment_duplex_type/17222_rid/2-_beds/0-280491_price/0-1000_mp/any_days/1_pets/1_parking/42.926106,-78.855529,42.889706,-78.930373_rect/13_zm/

Two nice spots, but a lot fewer options.

Anyways, hit me with any more specific questions you might have.

I always forget that Zillow has apartment listings. 

We owned a double in Parkside. I hated living and owning in the city. Services stink, the police are slow, the people are rude and/or scary.

But Delaware Park is one of the most awesome parks in the country, and I've hung out at a lot of parks. If fishing and bike-riding are your things, you can always drive into the city when necessary, but have your things right there at any time in the Northern Burbs.

I'm not a big city person either. I'm keeping it in mind, but I prefer a little more space. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.