Gord Downie has terminal brain cancer

darksabre

I hear they are already planning a huge outside viewing area in Kingston for the show, I'm sure there might be some legal wrangling to do but it doesn't look like anything is scheduled at canalside on 8/20.

just announced a live viewing event for the Kingston show in Larkinville.

http://buffalo.com/2016/07/25/news/music/tragically-hips-final-concert-shown-live-larkin-square/

• 4 weeks later...

The (likely) farewell show in Kingston is tomorrow night. 

CBC guide: How to watch (or listen) to final Hip show

If I'm able to figure out how to get the stream to my new outdoor HD projector I'll be viewing in my backyard on a 12 foot screen hopefully.

I'd think Laptop + Youtube would be a solid option for that, as long as the youtube link works in the states.

This is what I'm banking on. Gonna try to put it up on the TV with the Xbox app. 

This is one of those times it'd be nice if CBC put some random live camera feed on their Youtube page now so people could test ahead of time. Nothing like settling down at 8:30PM only to fight with the tech for an hour.  (for me, I'm adding the extra bonus of seeing if it works over my Chromecast TV).

If I were really serious, I'd be checking to see if any radio stations are carrying it and if those stream audio as a backup.

This is one of those times it'd be nice if CBC put some random live camera feed on their Youtube page now so people could test ahead of time. Nothing like settling down at 8:30PM only to fight with the tech for an hour.  (for me, I'm adding the extra bonus of seeing if it works over my Chromecast TV).

If I were really serious, I'd be checking to see if any radio stations are carrying it and if those stream audio as a backup.

EDIT: the youtube link is live now; I'm assuming that since it doesn't say anything like "this not available in your location" it's good.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n6pwkHjRWuM

SiriusXM 169 will have it.

Also this is pretty cool..

Nearly 200 approved community viewing parties are also being held across Canada — from Yukon's Marsh Lake Community Centre, to Victoria Park in Charlottetown — as well as internationally in New York, London, Los Angeles and Mexico, and at Copacabana beach in Rio de Janeiro as the Brazilian city prepares to wrap up the Summer Olympics. 

Edited by Claude_Verret

Viewing party in my living room. I'll most likely be the only audience member as I want to enjoy the show with no interuptions. Me and Gord go way back. Its funny and I'm sure many of you feel the same but its a friendship on a very personal level and we've never met. He doesn't know I exist though I'm sure our eyes met that one time I was able to see the Hip in concert. When I was younger I would write lyrics that I had intended to send to him. Of course that never transpired and they still sit in my junk drawer with the ticket stub to the show. But tomorrow night anything is possible. Gord will transport all of us back to a time when we all thought the albums would keep coming . To a time when his demise wasn't possible or thought of because  our heroes don't die that way. In a way its not Ry Cooder singing his eulogy its Gordy singing his own eulogy. Thats what makes this experience so strange and beautiful and sad. And joyous. And we'll all be experiencing it together. Today I met a customer in her apartment and she had the hip on the stereo. She had to be pushing 70 and she mentioned how she was sad she had never got the chance to see them live. I felt bad saying that I had and marvelled at the wide range of people of all ages that enjoyed his craft. The lyrics that touched everyone so deeply. For the Canadian fans the Canadiana and the history that spoke to you and that you already knew instinctively from your grade school lessons. But of course we can't claim him as our own because he touched everyone equally. Tomorrow he will touch us fully completely and I can't friggin wait. Enjoy the show.  

Viewing party in my living room. I'll most likely be the only audience member as I want to enjoy the show with no interuptions. Me and Gord go way back. Its funny and I'm sure many of you feel the same but its a friendship on a very personal level and we've never met. He doesn't know I exist though I'm sure our eyes met that one time I was able to see the Hip in concert. When I was younger I would write lyrics that I had intended to send to him. Of course that never transpired and they still sit in my junk drawer with the ticket stub to the show. But tomorrow night anything is possible. Gord will transport all of us back to a time when we all thought the albums would keep coming . To a time when his demise wasn't possible or thought of because our heroes don't die that way. In a way its not Ry Cooder singing his eulogy its Gordy singing his own eulogy. Thats what makes this experience so strange and beautiful and sad. And joyous. And we'll all be experiencing it together. Today I met a customer in her apartment and she had the hip on the stereo. She had to be pushing 70 and she mentioned how she was sad she had never got the chance to see them live. I felt bad saying that I had and marvelled at the wide range of people of all ages that enjoyed his craft. The lyrics that touched everyone so deeply. For the Canadian fans the Canadiana and the history that spoke to you and that you already knew instinctively from your grade school lessons. But of course we can't claim him as our own because he touched everyone equally. Tomorrow he will touch us fully completely and I can't friggin wait. Enjoy the show.

:worthy:

Viewing party in my living room. I'll most likely be the only audience member as I want to enjoy the show with no interuptions. Me and Gord go way back. Its funny and I'm sure many of you feel the same but its a friendship on a very personal level and we've never met. He doesn't know I exist though I'm sure our eyes met that one time I was able to see the Hip in concert. When I was younger I would write lyrics that I had intended to send to him. Of course that never transpired and they still sit in my junk drawer with the ticket stub to the show. But tomorrow night anything is possible. Gord will transport all of us back to a time when we all thought the albums would keep coming . To a time when his demise wasn't possible or thought of because  our heroes don't die that way. In a way its not Ry Cooder singing his eulogy its Gordy singing his own eulogy. Thats what makes this experience so strange and beautiful and sad. And joyous. And we'll all be experiencing it together. Today I met a customer in her apartment and she had the hip on the stereo. She had to be pushing 70 and she mentioned how she was sad she had never got the chance to see them live. I felt bad saying that I had and marvelled at the wide range of people of all ages that enjoyed his craft. The lyrics that touched everyone so deeply. For the Canadian fans the Canadiana and the history that spoke to you and that you already knew instinctively from your grade school lessons. But of course we can't claim him as our own because he touched everyone equally. Tomorrow he will touch us fully completely and I can't friggin wait. Enjoy the show.

Well said. Thank you.

Viewing party in my living room. I'll most likely be the only audience member as I want to enjoy the show with no interuptions. Me and Gord go way back. Its funny and I'm sure many of you feel the same but its a friendship on a very personal level and we've never met. He doesn't know I exist though I'm sure our eyes met that one time I was able to see the Hip in concert. When I was younger I would write lyrics that I had intended to send to him. Of course that never transpired and they still sit in my junk drawer with the ticket stub to the show. But tomorrow night anything is possible. Gord will transport all of us back to a time when we all thought the albums would keep coming . To a time when his demise wasn't possible or thought of because our heroes don't die that way. In a way its not Ry Cooder singing his eulogy its Gordy singing his own eulogy. Thats what makes this experience so strange and beautiful and sad. And joyous. And we'll all be experiencing it together. Today I met a customer in her apartment and she had the hip on the stereo. She had to be pushing 70 and she mentioned how she was sad she had never got the chance to see them live. I felt bad saying that I had and marvelled at the wide range of people of all ages that enjoyed his craft. The lyrics that touched everyone so deeply. For the Canadian fans the Canadiana and the history that spoke to you and that you already knew instinctively from your grade school lessons. But of course we can't claim him as our own because he touched everyone equally. Tomorrow he will touch us fully completely and I can't friggin wait. Enjoy the show.

Beautiful.

That is the essence of music as a medium. It inspires in ways that are unfathomable no matter who we are listening to. The King is dead long live the King!

https://www.thestar.com/entertainment/music/2016/08/19/how-gord-downie-and-the-tragically-hip-forged-a-relationship-with-our-30-million-hearts-vinay-menon.html

This relationship between a million hearts and Downie’s singularly fertile mind was not forged in a cynical marketing suite. It happened at bonfires and skating rinks, at campsites and campuses. It happened during first loves and final exams, birthdays and weddings and breakups. It happened with old friends and new beginnings. And it happened because high school pals conspired in a basement more than 30 years ago and then punched out five straight No. 1 albums in the ’90s.

Road Apples, Fully Completely, Day for Night, Trouble at the Henhouse, Phantom Power — the music grabbed listeners by the ears with snarling licks and catchy hooks and vivid lyrics fans can still recite word for word now that the road trips with friends have given way to family vacations with the kids.

Most bands make music. The Hip made memories.

Weird.  I know I've heard of the band, but it struck me I couldn't think of a single song of theirs.  So I starting googling top hit lists for them and stuff like that.  After searching around for a while, I've come to the conclusion that I've never heard anything by them.  Ever.  Every song was completely unfamiliar to me.  Too bad, because a lot of it sounds pretty good.

Weird.  I know I've heard of the band, but it struck me I couldn't think of a single song of theirs.  So I starting googling top hit lists for them and stuff like that.  After searching around for a while, I've come to the conclusion that I've never heard anything by them.  Ever.  Every song was completely unfamiliar to me.  Too bad, because a lot of it sounds pretty good.

Canadian band.  Not surprised you've never heard their stuff.  If you live in the states, you're only aware of them if you live in a border state.  Really good music.  Alot of it isn't my 1st choice for style, but good music nonetheless.  I am sorely tempted to stream the show tonight.

Weird. I know I've heard of the band, but it struck me I couldn't think of a single song of theirs. So I starting googling top hit lists for them and stuff like that. After searching around for a while, I've come to the conclusion that I've never heard anything by them. Ever. Every song was completely unfamiliar to me. Too bad, because a lot of it sounds pretty good.

Yeah I don't think they ever got much play even on Buffalo radio let alone other US markets in the 90's despite how big they are there, but I could be wrong. Probably their biggest US 'breakthrough' was playing SNL supporting Day For Night circa 1995, with fellow Kingston-ite and friend of the band Dan Aykroyd hosting.

Maybe you've heard New Orleans Is Sinking if you haven't checked that out yet.

Yeah I don't think they ever got much play even on Buffalo radio let alone other US markets in the 90's despite how big they are there, but I could be wrong. Probably their biggest US 'breakthrough' was playing SNL supporting Day For Night circa 1995, with fellow Kingston-ite and friend of the band Dan Aykroyd hosting.

Maybe you've heard New Orleans Is Sinking if you haven't checked that out yet.

Gotta be the killerwhaletank version though

Awesome post ... Truly. Edited by N'eo

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.