Sabres' Houses of Horrors, how are they perpetuated?

PASabreFan

Sabres dropped to 24-48-20 in Pittsburgh with last night's loss. I was hoping the Sabres' crappy luck at the Igloo would improve once they went across the street to the new joint (does it have a nickname? The fracking pad?). No such luck.

What fascinates me is how this sort of phenomenon is carried on over literally decades. Eichel doesn't know the Igloo from the Olympia in Detroit, but now, sure as , he can't win in Pittsburgh any more than his ancestors. It's uncanny.

Does Ripper talk it up? Is Ripper a downer? "Man, we could never win in this building. I remember when..." Is it the alumni hangers-on like May and Ray and Marty and Petey who poison the well? Is it doom bug RJ? I want to blame someone! But I kind of doubt anyone would say anything to that effect.

It's weird.

P.S. If only all the games in Pittsburgh were of the playoff variety. Sabres are 3-1 there in the postseason! And — duck — 1-5 at home. You just can't win. Literally.

In 2006 we went 4-0 in games played regular season against the Pens.

That's just after Mario and just before Crosby/Malkin.

Remember, the great Sabre Killer with the mullet was still circling the ice during this time.

Our time is soon approaching  for another run like the one we had in the eighties against the Pens when we went 17-9-6.

Thank you mcubed.net for keeping my tin foil hat safely tucked in my desk drawer for right now.

In 2006 we went 4-0 in games played regular season against the Pens.

That's just after Mario and just before Crosby/Malkin.

Remember, the great Sabre Killer with the mullet was still circling the ice during this time.

Our time is soon approaching  for another run like the one we had in the eighties against the Pens when we went 17-9-6.

Thank you mcubed.net for keeping my tin foil hat safely tucked in my desk drawer for right now.

Tin foil... troll... never gets old. The issue isn't overall record, the issue is record in Pittsburgh. Even in the glorious 80s, look at the discrepancy between the home and away record.

According to http://mcubed.net/nhl/buf/pit.shtml, he's played one in Pitt, one home.

They didn't add last night's game yet.

Guys, the Eichel comment wasn't meant to be taken literally. Give me a little credit.

I think a basic course in statistics answers most of these questions.

How so? You expect a certain spread of results between home and away. When the results are far out of range, you look for answers. Every team in every sport has a historical house of horrors. It doesn't make sense. Stats doesn't answer the question of why.

Tin foil... troll... never gets old. The issue isn't overall record, the issue is record in Pittsburgh. Even in the glorious 80s, look at the discrepancy between the home and away record.

I'd like to see what the home-away records are for the Sabres over that span vs. just Pittsburgh before drawing any conclusions. I bet its not that different.

I'd like to see what the home-away records are for the Sabres over that span vs. just Pittsburgh before drawing any conclusions. I bet its not that different.

No way. Over the span of their entire history, the Sabres have picked up .93 points per road game.

They're 14-35-6 since 1990 in Pittsburgh.

It's the New England Patriots condition, only with 2 decades with Brady.

The Penn's had Lemeiux and Yagr ( it think that is how it's spelled, phone antics)

Now Crosby and Malkin.

They where and still are a nightmare for a visiting coach to defend against.

This past game constistantly had the Crosby line out with the Nicky D line and the abuse was evident each shift.

I'm sorry for my snipe remarks. But there is no great anti Buffalo Sport karma god working their vodoo magic against us.

Just 2 decades of a line most of the league has/had trouble stopping for over 20 years.

The Penn's had Lemeiux and Yagr ( it think that is how it's spelled, phone antics)

Now Crosby and Malkin.

This past game constistantly had the Crosby line out with the Nicky D line and the abuse was evident each shift.

I'm sorry for my snipe remarks. But there is no great anti Buffalo Sport karma god working their vodoo magic against us.

Just 2 decades of a line most of the league has/had trouble stopping for over 20 years.

The Sabres were 0-4-2 in Pittsburgh the three years after the teams' playoff meeting in 2001. Both teams were bad. There is something goofy going on here.

I am not blaming the hockey gods at all. I think human factors are at play, I just don't understand them.

The Sabres were 0-4-2 in Pittsburgh the three years after the teams' playoff meeting in 2001. Both teams were bad. There is something goofy going on here.

I am not blaming the hockey gods at all. I think human factors are at play, I just don't understand them.

Well, if you do figure out the secret, please don't pass it on to the Snarks (or the Loafs for that matter). It's good to have a nearly guaranteed W on the schedule every now & then. ;)

Well, if you do figure out the secret, please don't pass it on to the Snarks (or the Loafs for that matter). It's good to have a nearly guaranteed W on the schedule every now & then. ;)

I'm working on a biblical "begat" theory. Stay tuned.

See what happened is that the old and new arenas were both built upon ancient Indian ruins, and the ghost of the elders really hate buffalo, and their spirits allow the pens to ramp up through supernatural forces to go on a buffalo hunt of epic proportions.

We need to sacrifice something to the gods to end this, maybe Moulson

See what happened is that the old and new arenas were both built upon ancient Indian ruins, and the ghost of the elders really hate buffalo, and their spirits allow the pens to ramp up through supernatural forces to go on a buffalo hunt of epic proportions.

Like the sacrifice thought, but pretty sure the curse is from the old ESPN followup commercial w/ IIRC Mogilny hearing the 'click, click, click' and deadpanning to the camera 'penguins.'

Matt? Because that would be a win/win.

Sure as heck don't want to waste a perfectly good beer. :nana:

Now Crosby and Malkin.

You have nothing to apologize for! But thanks.

Sabres dropped to 24-48-20 in Pittsburgh with last night's loss. I was hoping the Sabres' crappy luck at the Igloo would improve once they went across the street to the new joint (does it have a nickname? The fracking pad?). No such luck.

What fascinates me is how this sort of phenomenon is carried on over literally decades. Eichel doesn't know the Igloo from the Olympia in Detroit, but now, sure as ######, he can't win in Pittsburgh any more than his ancestors. It's uncanny.

Does Ripper talk it up? Is Ripper a downer? "Man, we could never win in this building. I remember when..." Is it the alumni hangers-on like May and Ray and Marty and Petey who poison the well? Is it doom bug RJ? I want to blame someone! But I kind of doubt anyone would say anything to that effect.

It's weird.

P.S. If only all the games in Pittsburgh were of the playoff variety. Sabres are 3-1 there in the postseason! And — duck — 1-5 at home. You just can't win. Literally.

The Leafs are now 27-70-6 all-time in games played in Buffalo. Sports are just funny that way sometimes. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.