Sabres Trivia and Puzzles

PASabreFan

Let me add to the #64 D.M. question. The following are Sabres who only played in one career NHL game:

MD--> Played in one playoff game during the 74-75 season

JE--> 81-82 season

FG--> 89-90 season

TK--> 88-89 season

SM--> 02-03 season

• 5 months later...

The Erik Rasmussen talk in the Jersey Countdown thread lead me to some (slightly) interesting trivia:

1996 #7 overall pick Erik Rasmussen scored the game-winning goal that clinched the 1999 Eastern Conference Finals for the Sabres (although, he did not play for the Sabres in the 1998 ECF).  Three other players drafted in the FIRST ROUND of the 1996 draft (small hint: all drafted by other teams) played for the Sabres in other ECF later in their careers.

Which three players?

Bonus points if you can find me a video of the 1999 ECF Game 5 clincher versus the Laughs... I searched and failed.

The Erik Rasmussen talk in the Jersey Countdown thread lead me to some (slightly) interesting trivia:

1996 #7 overall pick Erik Rasmussen scored the game-winning goal that clinched the 1999 Eastern Conference Finals for the Sabres (although, he did not play for the Sabres in the 1998 ECF).  Three other players drafted in the FIRST ROUND of the 1996 draft (small hint: all drafted by other teams) played for the Sabres in other ECF later in their careers.

Which three players?

Bonus points if you can find me a video of the 1999 ECF Game 5 clincher versus the Laughs... I searched and failed.

About 1:55 mark

• 4 weeks later...

Devan Dubnyk recorded his third consecutive shutout on Saturday.  This lead me to find two cool facts/trivias:

1. How long is the longest continuous shutout streak by an NHL goaltender?

Hint:

The streak was in 1927-28.

2. What goaltender had the longest continuous shutout to start his NHL career?

Hint:

This guy started his career with another team, but later was a goalie for the Sabres.

Hint 2:

The streak was in December 2011, and he was with the Sabres/Amerks from 2012 to 2015.

Hint 3:

This guy was acquired by the Sabres along with Johan Larsson, a 1st, and a 2nd for Pominville and a 4th

• 4 weeks later...

On this date in 1986, #Sabres Gilbert Perreault played in the 1,191st (and final) game of his 17-year #NHL career

11:10 AM - 22 Nov 2016

+++

The trivia question I pose re the factoid above: Why did Bert play the final game of his career in mid-/late November?

Edited by That Aud Smell

He had retired the previous spring, then unretired over the summer when he realized he wasn't going to get a job with the organ-eye-zation as he had thought. A few weeks into the season in question, even though he was scoring and playing well, he knew he had been right to retire the first time.

I don't think any of that is right, but I am going with it!

He had retired the previous spring, then unretired over the summer when he realized he wasn't going to get a job with the organ-eye-zation as he had thought. A few weeks into the season in question, even though he was scoring and playing well, he knew he had been right to retire the first time.

I don't think any of that is right, but I am going with it!

Exactly how I remember it, although vague on the job part.

I think the sad state of the team was another factor.

Three good guesses - but none of them correct. One of the guesses above hits fairly close to the mark, but isn't close enough to be deemed correct, IMO.

I had to look it up myself.

I think the sad state of the team was another factor.

Maybe - but not as far as I read.

Hmmm, not sure where one looks something like this up. After my post, I did refresh my memory on Budd Bailey's excellent Sabres history book. I wasn't that far off. Dudacek's reference to the sad state of the team (4-13-3) is mentioned as one reason Bert quit. I also noticed that Perreault finished with 512 goals, one more than Jean Beliveau. If Beliveau was his boyhood idol, and I think he was, maybe he wanted to one-up his hero?

Hmmm, not sure where one looks something like this up. After my post, I did refresh my memory on Budd Bailey's excellent Sabres history book. I wasn't that far off. Dudacek's reference to the sad state of the team (4-13-3) is mentioned as one reason Bert quit. I also noticed that Perreault finished with 512 goals, one more than Jean Beliveau. If Beliveau was his boyhood idol, and I think he was, maybe he wanted to one-up his hero?

Wiki, for starters.

I've since noodled around, and seen it written up the same way in a few different sources. Evidently, #11 explored the possibility of playing his final 20 games for another NHL team.

Ahhite. So, the story I saw written in a few spots was that Perreault retired after the 1985-1986 season, but, then, over the summer, the league and NHL PA negotiated a new CBA with improved pension benefits.

In order to enjoy those new pension benefits, Perreault needed to play 20 games in the 86-87 season, which he did (notching 16 points).

Word also was that Perreault initially thought he might play the 20 games he needed with another club, but Buffalo held his rights and the penalty for signing him away was prohibitive.

As your question was posed, though, there could be more to the answer than just the pension, but only Bert knows. Did he enter the season intending to play 20 games and then re-retire, no matter what the team was doing, or was he hopeful for one last run at a Cup (would have been a longshot hope, given the 85-86 season, which saw the Sabres out of the playoffs for the first time since 1974, but still...)? And the dude could still play, given his nine goals in the season's first 14 games. If I had to guess, I'd say the correct answer to your question is: he retired in mid-November because he had played the 20 games AND the team was horrible. I still think passing Beliveau was somehow in the equation as well.

• 2 months later...
This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.