The Eichel Tower

BetweenThePipes00

Finally had a chance to watch the video. So cool. Truly wonderful, the mind of a child is.

May he never discover analytics or cynicism or SabreSpace, for that matter. As a fan, may he stay...

(Sorry, just trying to get Smell to break down again. John Boehner and Dick Vermeil have nothing on the man.)

May he never discover analytics or cynicism or SabreSpace, for that matter. As a fan, may he stay...

(Sorry, just trying to get Smell to break down again. John Boehner and Dick Vermeil have nothing on the man.)

Ha. And I *DO* readily get misty, and regularly quite more than that.

CJ is about the age of my youngest, and I very much enjoy seeing his fandom. As others have said, The Eichel Tower is easily top-3 among things that was ever connected to the board.

Fwiw, my little guy is a natural stats nerd. Whatever he's into, it's a deep dive. As a toddler/pre-schooler, he knew the specs and details of dozens of (100+?) engines and such in the Thomas the Tank Engine world. He's moved on from there (Pokemon for a while, then onto pro sports figures). He hasn't found #fancystats yet, but it is only a matter of time. He's going to love them.

Ha. And I *DO* readily get misty, and regularly quite more than that.

CJ is about the age of my youngest, and I very much enjoy seeing his fandom. As others have said, The Eichel Tower is easily top-3 among things that was ever connected to the board.

Fwiw, my little guy is a natural stats nerd. Whatever he's into, it's a deep dive. As a toddler/pre-schooler, he knew the specs and details of dozens of (100+?) engines and such in the Thomas the Tank Engine world. He's moved on from there (Pokemon for a while, then onto pro sports figures). He hasn't found #fancystats yet, but it is only a matter of time. He's going to love them.

Just make sure he understands the value of grit and being a good guy in the room.  :doh:

C.J. isn't totally there yet in terms of wanting to know every detail about players other than Jack ... he is starting to ask more questions now when we watch so it's coming, but he also loves playing so much he literally has a hard time sitting and watching. More than once he has gotten up and walked out of the room saying "I can't watch this anymore, it makes me want to play right now.."

We really need to move home to Buffalo so the kid can have a backyard rink.

Just make sure he understands the value of grit and being a good guy in the room.  :doh:

C.J. isn't totally there yet in terms of wanting to know every detail about players other than Jack ... he is starting to ask more questions now when we watch so it's coming, but he also loves playing so much he literally has a hard time sitting and watching. More than once he has gotten up and walked out of the room saying "I can't watch this anymore, it makes me want to play right now.."

We really need to move home to Buffalo so the kid can have a backyard rink.

Interesting observation. That has happened with my guy as well, although it's come and gone in spurts. He loves to play, but is not quite the gym/rink rat/junkyard dog that some of his teammates are -- CJ sounds like maybe he is (a true rink rat). 

You see this in some adults, even. I know a guy through a common friend who's always into something athletic - playing in rec soccer leagues, flag football leagues, hoops at the Y, etc. So I had some extra tickets to a Sabres game a while back, and said to my friend, "hey, invite Mr. Super Sports Guy." The response came back: "Thanks, but no thanks - he likes to play, not watch."

Interesting observation. That has happened with my guy as well, although it's come and gone in spurts. He loves to play, but is not quite the gym/rink rat/junkyard dog that some of his teammates are -- CJ sounds like maybe he is (a true rink rat). 

You see this in some adults, even. I know a guy through a common friend who's always into something athletic - playing in rec soccer leagues, flag football leagues, hoops at the Y, etc. So I had some extra tickets to a Sabres game a while back, and said to my friend, "hey, invite Mr. Super Sports Guy." The response came back: "Thanks, but no thanks - he likes to play, not watch."

The kids in my neighborhood would often be out playing football in the connected back yards while the Eagles were on TV here. Even when the Eagles weren't bad. I wonder if this is anecdotal or something about the yoof of today.

My kid has never voluntarily watched more than 1 single minute of televised sports. It's quite peculiar.

Lucky kid. Over my life I've rooted for the Yankees (Mattingly era when they sucked), Mets (once Mattingly retired), Knicks, Sabres, and Bills. Why I bother to devote a single minute to this ongoing futility is a mystery to me.

Lucky kid. Over my life I've rooted for the Yankees (Mattingly era when they sucked), Mets (once Mattingly retired), Knicks, Sabres, and Bills. Why I bother to devote a single minute to this ongoing futility is a mystery to me.

He was downstairs in his boy cave last year as I watched Syracuse oust Virginia to go to the final 4. He came running up stairs to the sound of my screaming and raving because he thought I was killing his mother.

He saw what happened, said "oh, cool" and disappeared back downstairs. Lol

I can top that -- sort of. I was a huge Mets fan from 1976 until 1979-ish, a brief, passionate affair with baseball. 1986, I coulda been a champeen, but no...

I can top that -- sort of. I was a huge Mets fan from 1976 until 1979-ish, a brief, passionate affair with baseball. 1986, I coulda been a champeen, but no...

I liked the Yankees because of Mattingly and after the way they forced him to retire for Tito Martinez I said  the Yankees and began rooting for the Mets. They proceeded to win about a dozen world series titles after that but I still don't like them whatsoever. The only time I root for them to win is when they play the Red Sox because Boston. I'd root for ISIS over Boston. I'd root for the devil himself over Boston. As George Carlin so eloquently put it, 'em in the ass with a big rubber dick.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.