Most Overrated NHL Player

WildCard

This is easy. John Scott. He got voted to the all-star game for FFS. ;)

Fans played a gotcha on the NHL with that one.

I wonder if he is still eligible to play in the ASG, as he was sent down to the AHL.

Imagine that, he would have to be recalled in order to captain his NHL division in the ASG.

The NHL is a joke.  Bush league, at best.

Zdeno Chara, Milan Lucic, and Marc Andre Fleury.

Chara's kinda up there in age and broken, not sure he counts at this point, unless you mean earlier Chara, and then I respectfully disagree. His intimidation value alone was pretty priceless. Didn't even have to fight.

Yeah, the old and overrated thing applies to people like my beloved Datsyuk. He's just in the twilight of his career, and his stats and game show it. :cry: You still have fear of him on the ice, but he's no longer the stadium filler magic man they try to market, as much as it pains me to say it. But hey, he scored last night, still some magic in the tank :) 

Fans played a gotcha on the NHL with that one.

I wonder if he is still eligible to play in the ASG, as he was sent down to the AHL.

Imagine that, he would have to be recalled in order to captain his NHL division in the ASG.

The NHL is a joke.  Bush league, at best.

Someone in another thread mentioned that AZ was going to call him up before the game so he was eligible.

Title is self-explanatory. Who is the most overrated player in the NHL these days? Initial thought for me would be Malkin

I think not Malkin.

I watch a handful of Penguins games each year, and to my eyes, he LOOKS like the best player on the team.

The Penguins have a better record WITH Malkin and Without Crosby then they do when Malkin misses games but Crosby is there.

So with those 2 things together, I find it hard to argue that Crosby is THAT much better than Malkin...they in terms of public perception...Malkin is much under-rated compared to Crosby.

With that in mind, I think I'd have to throw out Crosby as the most over-rated. Why?

I listen to a lot of Canadian radio, and still watch HNIC most of the time..and they still talk about him as he is CLEARLY the best player in the league by a LOT, and he is one of the best players of all time..but:

-He has won ONE cup...did it on a team with multiple other high draft picks, and had to take 7 games to beat Detroit for that cup and had some very favorable officiating to beat Ovechkin and the Caps in 7 games before that.

-It looks doubtful he will even sniff 500 goals in his career.  He'd need to average 30 goals per year, ever year, for the next 6 years to get there.  I'm not sure hes able to do that.

-As mentioned above, the Pens have a better record with only Malkin in the lineup than they do with only Crosby.  

Does that mean Crosby isn't a great player with a great career? No, it doesn't. But in terms of people saying he is one of the greatest every, that he dominated the NHL, and even today there is no question he is the most dominating player in the game (Yes, I have heard people on 590 out of Toronto say that even in 2014 and 2015)..that qualifies to me as a great player who is still vastly over-rated.

Edited by mjd1001

I think not Malkin.

I watch a handful of Penguins games each year, and to my eyes, he LOOKS like the best player on the team.

The Penguins have a better record WITH Malkin and Without Crosby then they do when Malkin misses games but Crosby is there.

So with those 2 things together, I find it hard to argue that Crosby is THAT much better than Malkin...they in terms of public perception...Malkin is much under-rated compared to Crosby.

With that in mind, I think I'd have to throw out Crosby as the most over-rated. Why?

I listen to a lot of Canadian radio, and still watch HNIC most of the time..and they still talk about him as he is CLEARLY the best player in the league by a LOT, and he is one of the best players of all time..but:

-He has won ONE cup...did it on a team with multiple other high draft picks, and had to take 7 games to beat Detroit for that cup and had some very favorable officiating to beat Ovechkin and the Caps in 7 games before that.

-It looks doubtful he will even sniff 500 goals in his career.  He'd need to average 30 goals per year, ever year, for the next 6 years to get there.  I'm not sure hes able to do that.

-As mentioned above, the Pens have a better record with only Malkin in the lineup than they do with only Crosby.  

Does that mean Crosby isn't a great player with a great career? No, it doesn't. But in terms of people saying he is one of the greatest every, that he dominated the NHL, and even today there is no question he is the most dominating player in the game (Yes, I have heard people on 590 out of Toronto say that even in 2014 and 2015)..that qualifies to me as a great player who is still vastly over-rated.

Seems like there's a lot of truth here. I have to wonder how much of the issues now are concussion-related. As for the goals, though, the stats guys might be able to quantify this, but I bet there are a few guys with 500 that played in the 70s and 80s that wouldn't sniff 500 today.

Of the players routinely considered to he superstars (or close to it) he's definitely mine.

Of lesser players, does anyone still think Dustin Brown is any good? Because he's been bad for like three years now.

For goaltenders, there can be only one: Jonathan Quick. He's a good starter, but nowhere near the Price/Lundqvist class he's usually grouped with. Hell, I think Rask is clearly better too.

That contract, LA better be prepared to plant some drugs in his luggage next canadian trip.   Signed through 2022 with a 6 mill cap hit his last couple of year.

Depending on where you read, he might be the most underrated player. Some of his threads on the prospect board on hfboards before the Christmas break were uuuuuugly.

Amazing tons of talent.  Second among rookies in goals, second on the Sabres in goals, but he's still playing NCAA style hockey which doesn't translate well to the NHL.  He will learn, but I'm willing to give him a pass for this year.  He had no summer, no time to regroup.  He needs some time off, a training camp without all the hype and attention, and probably some 1-on-1 coaching about how to play the pro game.  He can do it all and he does it enough of the time that you know he's the real deal, but to watch him play you know there's more in there that we're not yet seeing.  It'll come.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.