What happened to Zemgus?

WildCard

I suppose we can hope he pulls a Mike Richards for us...

I just think his contract is so exorbitant for a 3rd line player heading into the downside of his career that I wouldn't want to give up assets to acquire it. We pretty clearly need better depth scoring, but this is the wrong target IMO.

Fair enough. But, what do you think it would require to get him?

I feel like I've seen flashes of late from the Latvian Locomotive - intermittent, but I've seen them. 

I think he's getting acclimated. I'm just not sure where he belongs - on 15's wing or center a third line.

Someone else pointed it out, this may be the most complex system he's had to play at a high level. I admittedly don't know much about the USHL, but after that he had a year of Rolston/Cassidy in the AHL, a couple months of Rolston in the NHL, and the rest has been Nolan in the NHL and Latvia.

Honestly no clue. Top-4 D or top-6 forward? Maybe they like Bogosian a lot...

I think you can get him for cheaper than that, mostly because of his contract. 

How complex can a hockey system really get by the way? It's not exactly the NFL playbook or pre-snap reads

I've seen that clip before, and as awesome as it is, it still doesn't convince me. Looks complicated for me, but I haven't been learning to play hockey my entire life. We gave Rex so much for that team even though his system is undoubtedly more confusing and difficult, yet here we are giving Zemgus slack

I've seen that clip before, and as awesome as it is, it still doesn't convince me. Looks complicated for me, but I haven't been learning to play hockey my entire life. We gave Rex so much ###### for that team even though his system is undoubtedly more confusing and difficult, yet here we are giving Zemgus slack

Consider this team is coming from Ted Nolan's "system".    Most hockey pundits don't believe Nolan even has a system other than outwork the guy lined up across from you.   I would imagine some of the more "mentally challenged" players on this team would struggle with picking up a modern hockey system for the first time in their lives.    

I've played competitive hockey through high school, college, and a year of pro.. albeit back in the mid 90's.    Modern hockey systems are much complex these days, but even back then there were always a few guys on the team that just didn't get it.    Talented guys who are accustomed to just going out and playing, now have to play a positional team game.   At the pro level the game is too fast to think, you just react, and it looks like some of these guys just aren't reacting the way the system is asking them to.    Again, I'm not worried about it... it takes time (more time for some) with a new coach, a new modern system, and young players still learning how to play the pro game who are adjusting to pro-level coaching for the first time in their lives.

That, or Zemgus is just done with it and wants out. 

My issue with Jordan Staal is he comes with Jordan Staal's contract :P

Totally agree.  No thanks.

I feel like I've seen flashes of late from the Latvian Locomotive - intermittent, but I've seen them. 

I think he's getting acclimated. I'm just not sure where he belongs - on 15's wing or center a third line.

Me too.  Until the Panthers debacle, I really liked the Zemgus-Eichel combo.

Consider this team is coming from Ted Nolan's "system".    Most hockey pundits don't believe Nolan even has a system other than outwork the guy lined up across from you.   I would imagine some of the more "mentally challenged" players on this team would struggle with picking up a modern hockey system for the first time in their lives.    

I've played competitive hockey through high school, college, and a year of pro.. albeit back in the mid 90's.    Modern hockey systems are much complex these days, but even back then there were always a few guys on the team that just didn't get it.    Talented guys who are accustomed to just going out and playing, now have to play a positional team game.   At the pro level the game is too fast to think, you just react, and it looks like some of these guys just aren't reacting the way the system is asking them to.    Again, I'm not worried about it... it takes time (more time for some) with a new coach, a new modern system, and young players still learning how to play the pro game who are adjusting to pro-level coaching for the first time in their lives.

That, or Zemgus is just done with it and wants out. 

Good post.

I was very interested in Staal until we went out and got a better version in ROR.

I think people are in need of something to jumpstart their excitement right now and are grasping at any high-profile name that comes up.

Our needs are puck moving LD and scoring RW. Anyone of any significance we acquire has to fit the 25-and-under core.

Our trade chips aren't blue and Kane and Bogosian are not on the market.

I wouldn't be surprised to see a vet or a prospect Murray isn't particularly high on moved for a prospect Murray likes that we may know very little about.

I'm not seeing potential here for much else.

Edited by dudacek

I was very interested in Staal until we went out and got a better version in ROR.

I think people are in need of something to jumpstart their excitement right now and are grasping at any high-profile name that comes up.

Our needs are puck moving LD and scoring RW. Anyone of any significance we acquire has to fit the 25-and-under core.

Our trade chips aren't blue and Kane and Bogosian are not on the market.

I wouldn't be surprised to see a vet or a prospect Murray isn't particularly high on moved for a prospect Murray likes that we may know very little about.

I'm not seeing potential here for much else.

So does this scream Yandle and our 1st in 2016 (RW), and nothing really until then by Murray in terms of addressing our needs?

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.