GDT: Buffalo @ St.Louis, 8:00 pm est, 11/19/2015

WildCard

I'd interested in talk and interview with shootout participants. I've wondered if and when skaters decide what they're going to do on an attempt. How much is pre-planned and how much is in response to how the goaltender sets himself up or responds? How much to goaltenders prepare in terms of being aggressive or settling in?

Darren Pang interviewed Allen last night on the St Louis feed. He asked Allen if he prepared for ROR and essentially had his glove waiting to catch ROR's shot. Allen replied along the lines of "No, I don't watch video or prepare for shootout tendencies".

Seemed pretty nonchalant.

Edited by N'eo

Allen was hot tonight.  We weren't gonna win the shootout.

Saturday.  I paid my money, I'm going to the game.  I want a win.

You didn't get the FREE ticket package that was offered???

let the 3 on 3 go till someone scores. Sooooo much more exciting than that damn shootout. That was edge of your seat shite right there. We're hanging in there with the best teams in the league. Are we supposed to be this good this early ?

I'm with you on this one, that 3v3 last night was great. If you told me in October that we'd be playing .500 hockey and would go into St.Louie and outplay the Blues but end up with an SO loss, I'd probably wonder what bipolar medicine your weren't taking that day.

After the last 2 years, this has been great watching NHL hockey again from this team.

Sorry but I thought the 3 on 3 was unwatchable.  It doesn't look like hockey.  Last night was my first time catching it.  I can't believe the NHL switched to this eye vomit.  It looks awful. 

I found it quite watchable, but I agree that it looks like something other than NHL hockey (which, in theory, could be a good thing?). 3-on-3 OT is somewhere between real hockey and the shootout.

Be sure to skip the All Star Game, btw.

Well, I thought it was a terrific hockey game. 

My game notes:

- I know the Sabres have put up a lot of shots on goal in quite a few games this year, but last night was the first time I thought the opposing goalie won the game for his team. 

- I have always liked Ennis and do not agree with the "get rid of him" pitchfork crew here.  However, he is clearly struggling mentally right now.  Last night he made one bonehead play after another.  I don't think he needs to sit, and I don't think DDB will sit him.  He'll work himself through this period.

- Kane looked a bit slower, likely due to the knee brace.  Still, I thought Eichel-Reinhart-Kane performed well as a line and was dangerous quite a few times.

- ROR-Moulson-Gionta was also effective -- giving the Sabres 2 lines that produced scoring chances for the first time in a while.

- Larsson-Ennis-Foligno was less effective, although I agree with dudacek that Larsson was hustling.  Foligno has gone quiet the last week or so.

- Ullmark has a really good glove hand, good positioning, vacuums up pucks well and reacts quickly to make nice shoulder saves -- but once he's down, he's slow to get back into position.

- I thought the SO ruling on STL's goal was correct.

- Pretty lousy execution on the Sabres' 5-on-3 opportunities.

- If the Sabres keep playing that well they are going to make the playoffs.

- I have always liked Ennis and do not agree with the "get rid of him" pitchfork crew here. 

- ROR-Moulson-Gionta was also effective -- giving the Sabres 2 lines that produced scoring chances for the first time in a while.

Agreed with just about everything you said, other than maybe Ennis needing to sit and possibly under-selling Larsson's game (thought he was really good). The excerpted points are ones with which I strongly agree.

I really like the Kane- Eichel- Reinhart line. They seemed to have good chemistry and got more dangerous after the 1st period.  On the Reinhart goal, he did something really clever and it reminded me of Drury.  A lot of times, guys instincts are to always camp or battle in front of the net which is true if the shot is coming from the point. What Reinhart did though since the puck was low, is he faded from his defender to find himself open.  He just dropped off of him and I think that actually takes intelligence to know when to successfully do.  That said, Jack should help Sam with his shot a bit.

Pet peeve:  When they blow the whistle for icing before the puck crosses the red line.

The linesman has to predict that the puck will cross the line. He's not supposed to wait until the puck crosses the line to blow the whistle. If it doesn't cross, it's an oopsie.

I really like the Kane- Eichel- Reinhart line. They seemed to have good chemistry and got more dangerous after the 1st period.  On the Reinhart goal, he did something really clever and it reminded me of Drury.  A lot of times, guys instincts are to always camp or battle in front of the net which is true if the shot is coming from the point. What Reinhart did though since the puck was low, is he faded from his defender to find himself open.  He just dropped off of him and I think that actually takes intelligence to know when to successfully do.  That said, Jack should help Sam with his shot a bit.

The overhead view of the replay on Reino's goal showed him making 3 neat little plays that combined to result in the goal.

He definitely understands the game and the right spots to get to.

One thing I think he needs to improve on is passing when he has the puck on the rush.  It seems like too many of his passes are rather easily picked off by the opposing D.

He's not going to take the league by storm like Jackie boy but he could turn into a really good player.

He was fine at even strength. It's the PP and 3-on-3 time where he's a net negative IMO.

I can't say I noticed a bad play by him on the PP. 

He missed a couple shots in OT. 

But he played a fine game overall. IMO. 

My game notes:

- I know the Sabres have put up a lot of shots on goal in quite a few games this year, but last night was the first time I thought the opposing goalie won the game for his team. 

- I have always liked Ennis and do not agree with the "get rid of him" pitchfork crew here.  However, he is clearly struggling mentally right now.  Last night he made one bonehead play after another.  I don't think he needs to sit, and I don't think DDB will sit him.  He'll work himself through this period.

- Kane looked a bit slower, likely due to the knee brace.  Still, I thought Eichel-Reinhart-Kane performed well as a line and was dangerous quite a few times.

- Larsson-Ennis-Foligno was less effective, although I agree with dudacek that Larsson was hustling.  Foligno has gone quiet the last week or so.

- Ullmark has a really good glove hand, good positioning, vacuums up pucks well and reacts quickly to make nice shoulder saves -- but once he's down, he's slow to get back into position.

- Pretty lousy execution on the Sabres' 5-on-3 opportunities.

I really thought that the Sabres carried play. Allen had a hellava game. 

The 5-3 chances were the difference. 

I don't want to be the perfect to be the enemy of the good here. Team play has improved exponentially. 

The Sabres can hang with any team in the league. 

Too early to start throwing players overboard. 

I don't want to be the perfect to be the enemy of the good here. Team play has improved exponentially. 

Completely agree, although I think the kids now say "hella game."

Gionta had a very strong game.

He gets the puck deep nearly every shift. 

Was great on the forecheck. 

Digs for the game tying goal. 

Captain of a team that is working hard for 60 min. 

I don't get it. 

It's pretty simple. He's old, fans prefer the flash to the good decision-making, and they need someone to blame when the shiny new toys haven't earned the lead roles yet.

I still can't figure out why Gionta didn't change.  Jack changed pretty quickly into their OT shift and it seemed like Brian had a couple of chances to do the same after.  He ended up more than double-shifting.  I can't imagine that Bylsma told him to stay on during a 3-on-3.

I actually think Gionta played a solid game last night but he should not be Jack Eichel's 3v3 partner, that was painful.

I'll have to go back and look, but if its the play I'm thinking of, I thought Gionta doubled back to give his linemates a chance to change. Jack stood by the bench, didn't get off and didn't get into a position to support Gionta. As a result, Gionta got trapped.

I can't say I noticed a bad play by him on the PP. 

He missed a couple shots in OT. 

But he played a fine game overall. IMO. 

All of this. The abomination that was last year's team, and all that talk about being patient and watching the team grow really got tossed out the window last night.

I don't see any passengers. I see two key cogs on offence (Kane and Ennis) that have been pressing most of the year and our two most talented players (Eichel and Reinhart) still learning how to play in this league. All four will come around..

They will be old too someday. :)

At which point I will be sure to be overly satisfied with flawed performances as long as they're coming from a vet :w00t:

It's pretty simple. He's old, fans prefer the flash to the good decision-making, and they need someone to blame when the shiny new toys haven't earned the lead roles yet.

I sorta resent this. Most of us have perfectly reasonable justifications for our Gionta opinions: he still plays well at even strength, but should be more of a secondary player and most definitely has not earned 1st line minutes, PP time, and 3-on-3 time.

I could easily flip this around and say the older crew is overly forgiving of a vet who had lost a step or two because they appreciate having "been there" a little too much.

I sorta resent this. Most of us have perfectly reasonable justifications for our Gionta opinions: he still plays well at even strength, but should be more of a secondary player and most definitely has not earned 1st line minutes, PP time, and 3-on-3 time.

Isn't it supposed to be the old guys who form an opinion and stick with it forever?

All the Gionta bashers were correct his first 10 games. His last four or five he has performed well in his role.

Bylsma has said the current "first line" has been his shutdown line. He's been matched up against the best opponents and the line has held its own at both ends of the ice.

It's hardly because of him, but the PP is among the league's best. Not sure why playing Gionta on the second unit is an issue.

Fast responsible guys should be a coach's first choice for 3-on-3. Gionta is in the top-half of the team under that criteria.

When a thread is full of Gionta-bashing – even from posters who acknowledge he played well — it's agenda, not analysis.

Ennis tries and fails and we get a thread to get rid of him. Kane does the same, not a peep.

Gorges or Moulson has an invisible period, it's 'what a bum.' Eichel spends a series of shifts watching and its completely overlooked.

Shiny new toys.

Search your feelings. You know it to be true.

Fine. Gionta should be in the top three in the shootout. What's that? He's not a finisher anymore? Then why's he on the power play or hogging minutes in overtime? The galling play last night was him doing his best Helen Keller impression and not seeing Eichel wide open in the high slot in the overtime and inexplicably taking the puck out of the zone.

At which point I will be sure to be overly satisfied with flawed performances as long as they're coming from a vet :w00t:

I could easily flip this around and say the older crew is overly forgiving of a vet who had lost a step or two because they appreciate having "been there" a little too much.

Well, I don't think you can say you "could" say something if in fact you've already said it.

Isn't it supposed to be the old guys who form an opinion and stick with it forever?

All the Gionta bashers were correct his first 10 games. His last four or five he has performed well in his role.

Bylsma has said the current "first line" has been his shutdown line. He's been matched up against the best opponents and the line has held its own at both ends of the ice.

It's hardly because of him, but the PP is among the league's best. Not sure why playing Gionta on the second unit is an issue.

Fast responsible guys should be a coach's first choice for 3-on-3. Gionta is in the top-half of the team under that criteria.

When a thread is full of Gionta-bashing – even from posters who acknowledge he played well — it's agenda, not analysis.

Ennis tries and fails and we get a thread to get rid of him. Kane does the same, not a peep.

Gorges or Moulson has an invisible period, it's 'what a bum.' Eichel spends a series of shifts watching and its completely overlooked.

Shiny new toys.

Search your feelings. You know it to be true.

TBGED -- now you've done it.  You've ticked off a mild-mannered Canadian.  Dave Semenko would like a word with you in the corner.

Fine. Gionta should be in the top three in the shootout. What's that? He's not a finisher anymore? Then why's he on the power play or hogging minutes in overtime? The galling play last night was him doing his best Helen Keller impression and not seeing Eichel wide open in the high slot in the overtime and inexplicably taking the puck out of the zone.

While I think that Gionta has been playing well, and have no issue with him getting 3-on-3 minutes, that play definitely elicited an unhappy "WTF?".

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.