What happens when Robin Lehner comes back?

PromoTheRobot

Ullmark is playing well, but he's too scrambly and floppy.    That's just part of being a young goaltender, he needs to be playing a ton and he can do that in Roch while he fine tunes his game.    It's just a matter of time before he lays an egg at the NHL level and you don't need to crush his confidence while he's young.    

Exactly... and I believe that Johnson is in the last year of his contract.  He'll be right back up to the Sabres next year as Johnson won't be re-signed.

And the cost of getting him is a sunk cost. It should not figure into what happens when he comes back. After he's had his conditioning assignment, if Ullmark is still better than Chad, send Chad down and play whichever Swede will win you a game. Unfortunately for Robin, he MIGHT have injured himself out of another starting role.

Competition is good. If he wants the job back, earn it when healthy. If he gets it back that way - awesome. The Sabres GT will have gone from league's biggest Q to top 10 at worst.

And w/ goaltending being a hard position to fill many Sabres fans will be happy if that goes down. 

Isn't the concept of Lehner an unproven bag of pucks who Murray overrated and paid too much for?

Someone no one in Buffalo particularly wanted and everybody generally expect to fail?

I wanted Lehner and don't expect him to fail.

Unproven, sure. But I don't think we paid to much, and he was a highly touted player who I still think has a fair chance of succeeding.

It'd be great if he succeeded.  We'll see.  I'm glad Ullmark is making the good impression he is so far.  At some point the Sabres are going to need great goaltending, including depth.  It's been a roll call of backup goalies since Miller left.  Time for some legit starters.

my prediction...

Lehner comes back, gets the starting job back right away and they send Ullmark to Roch to start every game.

Lehner starts slow, but comes on in late Jan and has success to the end of the season.    

Ullmark stays in Roch for the remainder of the season, winning rookie of the year honors.

Ullmarks name comes up as a key piece in trade talks as part of a larger deal (Ennis, Pysyk, Girgensons, Ullmark, 1st) for Matt Duchene and Tyson Barrie.

my prediction...

Lehner comes back, gets the starting job back right away and they send Ullmark to Roch to start every game.

Lehner starts slow, but comes on in late Jan and has success to the end of the season.    

Ullmark stays in Roch for the remainder of the season, winning rookie of the year honors.

Ullmarks name comes up as a key piece in trade talks as part of a larger deal (Ennis, Pysyk, Girgensons, Ullmark, 1st) for Matt Duchene and Tyson Barrie.

I veto that trade. I veto it hard.

Beyond hard. For that package I better be getting MacKinnon

I love me some Tyson Barrie! Not sure I want to weaken our right wings to get him though. But yea, that value on Duchene seems way off. I'm really not a big Duchene fan.

I'm not not a fan of Barrie. but Ennis and our potential future goaltender for another RHD? Honestly, even if he shot left I'm not sure I want to part with Ullmark

Then you're way more confident in Ullmark than I am. I like him the most of what we have in the system, but that's kind of damning with faint praise.

It's a combination I think. Would I trade, say OEL for that package, and throw in more? Of course. Meaning I'm not married to the promise of Ullmark, but Barrie doesn't make it move

It's a combination I think. Would I trade, say OEL for that package, and throw in more? Of course. Meaning I'm not married to the promise of Ullmark, but Barrie doesn't make it move

Yea, I mean, I'm not willing to toss Ullmark away. It's just like I said earlier (or in another thread, whatever): I'm not sold on goaltenders until they have a lot of games under their belt. I'm happy Ullmark has played well and helped us win games, but I'm also very concerned about his flopping and slow recovery. The hope is it's surgery related and will go away ad he reaches full strength, but that's far from a certainty.

And yea, I obviously like Barrie more than you. This disagreement might be more about our valuation of Barrie than Ullmark.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.