Who is the captain next year?

freester

Yeah, duh. How could ROR slip my mind.

After being so starved for leadership for several years, nice to have this much leadership on the team. And even the ones that don't get a letter... they'll still be leaders.

We have guys who have represented their countries at the national level as captains or assistants. More leadership than we can shake a stick at.

I really hope Gionta is not on the team next year but if he is he won't be playing much. Ror is the obvious choice if only Gionta would retire.

Myself, or R O'R.

Well we have ROR here long term, and he'll no doubt get a letter. I've heard Samson is a natural leader, but that's a ways of. As far as Jack and Sid go, I'm not a fan of giving the letter to your best player; looking at you, Ovechkin. I don't really know why Sid got the letter other than his skill, but Jack has been Captain of USA teams for awhile, and was a big leader for the Terriers last season IIRC. Jack would make a much better captain than either Sid or Ovechkin IMO, and we've already seen signs of him getting in the face of the opposition on dirty hits to his teammates. 

Cindy is the best whiner on the team. Definitely deserved the C..

Edited by DirtDart

I don't get the Gionta hate. I don't see him taking shifts off. I see a team that doesn't take shifts off. He's not a 40 goal scorer. 

Gionta for Captain.   

It's not so much hate for him as where he's playing. But, he's a player, so when I see the play live, I blame him because he's directly involved. He can play on the 3rd line all day, just not the 1st, 2nd, pp, or pk

I don't get the Gionta hate. I don't see him taking shifts off. I see a team that doesn't take shifts off. He's not a 40 goal scorer. 

Gionta for Captain.   

He doesn't take shifts off, but he looks his age. Behind the play, unable to keep up with the young players. I'd be fine with Gionta if Bylsma would put him on the third line, he shouldn't touch the first or second lines, and I don't want him on the PP or in overtime.

It's not so much hate for him as where he's playing. But, he's a player, so when I see the play live, I blame him because he's directly involved. He can play on the 3rd line all day, just not the 1st, 2nd, pp, or pk

So it really is a matter of coaching and depth more than his effort. 

I don't expect much production from him. But expect some. But he's on the roster to straighten out the room.  That's how I see it. 

So it really is a matter of coaching and depth more than his effort.

I don't expect much production from him. But expect some. But he's on the roster to straighten out the room. That's how I see it.

This is the second straight year he's been MIA for the beginning of our season. My patience is wearing thin and he's not getting any younger.

Edited by qwksndmonster

i think Gionta has been perhaps our most ineffective forward relative to role and ice time.

But he has been playing better the past couple of games.

People seem to forget he is coming off an injury.

He is unlikely to be re-signed at the end of next year, but he is the captain until then.

Gionta was brought in here to lead a young team.

The Sabres are still a young team that has only ONE (1) right winger on the roster.

So, Gionta will be on the roster and captain until he retires.  

He is playing well and is not out of place out there at all, so it would not surprise me if the Sabres add a year to his current contract at some point this season.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.