McDavid breaks collarbone. Out "Long Term"

dejeanneret

Looks like the Oilers took a big hit losing McDavid for probably 6-8 weeks. 

He was on a point per game pace.  Looks like Eichel will be the main attraction for the next few months

http://espn.go.com/nhl/story/_/id/14048557/connor-mcdavid-edmonton-oilers-leaves-shoulder-injury

I'm just wondering where McDavid thought he was going on the play all alone. 

And ouch. 

And ouch. 

I thought the same thing when it happened. He was probably thinking that it was still last year were we was getting around that guy for a shot. It was his E.J. moment. You already have the first down, just go out of bounds.

Good. Hopefully it's just the beginning of a string of injuries that significantly shortens his career.

I know that is being sarcastic (at least I hope so) - but this a shame. That kid is electric and probably the closest thing we will see to Gretzky in a long time.

I love Eichel and he will be great for this organization, however, McDavid is another level (or more). He had a legit chance to lead the league in points. He already was at a ppg and getting better every night.

Also, I was watching that game when it happened. He was hurt, everyone knew it, but he skated to the bench and sat there until the period ended. Then he went to the locker room. Not sure why but it showed a level of toughness that his teammates had to notice.

Edited by sicknfla

I know that is being sarcastic (at least I hope so) - but this a shame. That kid is electric and probably the closest thing we will see to Gretzky in a long time.

I love Eichel and he will be great for this organization, however, McDavid is another level (or more). He had a legit chance to lead the league in points. He already was at a ppg and getting better every night.

Also, I was watching that game when it happened. He was hurt, everyone knew it, but he skated to the bench and sat there until the period ended. Then he went to the locker room. Not sure why but it showed a level of toughness that his teammates had to notice.

This might be a first but...+1.  I hope he heals quickly with no lingering effects. Like Jack, he seems like a good person in addition to being a great hockey player.  We need more of these not less.

That's fair. OTOH, it's that sort of reckless ambition that is a part of his greatness.

Good. Hopefully it's just the beginning of a string of injuries that significantly shortens his career.

Mm. K.

Why would any Sabres fan want McDavid out there threatening our dynasty?

Because if you love hockey, you want that kid out there doing his thing. He is positively breathtaking.

Seriously. If you feel that way? Time for some reflection.

To be the best you beat the best.  

And this. This is sort of why I somewhat wanted TO to get him. I'm glad they didn't, in retrospect. But still.

While we're at it, why don't we hope for every single team's elite players to suffer catastrophic injuries? That would pave our team's path to glory for sure.

I really want him back quickly, not only because I'm usually up late and like to watch good hockey, but because I really don't want to hear these words, "With the number one pick in the 2016 draft, the Edmonton Oilers select Auston Mathews!"

Short careers really kill stats. 

I really want him back quickly, not only because I'm usually up late and like to watch good hockey, but because I really don't want to hear these words, "With the number one pick in the 2016 draft, the Edmonton Oilers select Auston Mathews!"

Hurry Back McDavid. Hurry Back. 

Because if you love hockey, you want that kid out there doing his thing. He is positively breathtaking.

Seriously. If you feel that way? Time for some reflection.

I reflected last night. Then I slept like a baby. Tell me you didn't wish for Troy Aikman to slip on a banana peel before those Super Bowls.

It's a harsh business. As usual, I'm ahead of the curve. The Sabres and the Oilers meet in the finals in the three years. McDavid is day to day with a whatever. I'm sure this board would be pulling for Connor's return to full health, so they can watch his magnificent glory unfold before our very eyes.

This might be a first but...+1.  I hope he heals quickly with no lingering effects. Like Jack, he seems like a good person in addition to being a great hockey player.  We need more of these not less.

Seems like a good person? We don't know anything about these guys, really.

True.  But I think both understand that their notoriety can be channeled into positives.  They may not be able to cure cancer, but it appears they are trying to bring some joy into the lives of kids and others affected by it.  Publicity stunt? Maybe.  Team directive?  Maybe.  But by all reports both understand how fortunate they are and take the responsibility of being the next great hope seriously.  What they do when no one is watching is the true test of character, but that also falls in to the "if a tree falls in the forest..." category.

I reflected last night. Then I slept like a baby. Tell me you didn't wish for Troy Aikman to slip on a banana peel before those Super Bowls.

It's a harsh business. As usual, I'm ahead of the curve. The Sabres and the Oilers meet in the finals in the three years. McDavid is day to day with a whatever. I'm sure this board would be pulling for Connor's return to full health, so they can watch his magnificent glory unfold before our very eyes.

Did someone take over PA's account?

Aren't who the one who is still crying about Vanek getting "taken out" against Boston a decade ago?

Looks like the Oilers took a big hit losing McDavid for probably 6-8 weeks. 

He was on a point per game pace.  Looks like Eichel will be the main attraction for the next few months

http://espn.go.com/nhl/story/_/id/14048557/connor-mcdavid-edmonton-oilers-leaves-shoulder-injury

Domi is doing a good job of showing up Eich for the time being.

Edited by bunomatic

Watched it again. Mcdavid is really lucky it is just a collarbone. That's was close to a life on wheels

That was my first thought. It was one of those moments when you realize how quickly it can end for these guys. All 3 of the guys that went into those boards are very fortunate.