Zemgus the Destroyer: when will he reemerge?

Onceagain

Why?

Because lets say McCabe picks up the puck at our blue line and spots Zemgus going to the net so he winds and fires all the way down the ice and Gus tips it off the post and it bounces into the corner where Larsson goes to get it. He gets there but, surprise surprise, he gets bumped off the puck by PK Subban, the best defenseman in the league, who then flips the puck out of the zone. Zemgus, Larsson and Foligno have to leave the zone then to be on side. After everyone is out they are free to go back in with no offsides at all. 

That's why 

Because lets say McCabe picks up the puck at our blue line and spots Zemgus going to the net so he winds and fires all the way down the ice and Gus tips it off the post and it bounces into the corner where Larsson goes to get it. He gets there but, surprise surprise, he gets bumped off the puck by PK Subban, the best defenseman in the league, who then flips the puck out of the zone. Zemgus, Larsson and Foligno have to leave the zone then to be on side. After everyone is out they are free to go back in with no offsides at all.

That's why

I know this is hypothetical, but Subban is not the best D-man in the league. Best offensive D-man, sure. But when it comes to winning battles below the circles in his own zone, PK is nowhere near the best.

It's not. Sometimes it's getting an eye on the entire play at once that helps, sometimes it's feeling the pressure of losing ice time.

So give the guy less ice time, instead of him brooding up in the box. Could he take a written test in what he saw the next day? Probably. I don't think that translates to anything in the game. I have yet to see it work

So give the guy less ice time, instead of him brooding up in the box. Could he take a written test in what he saw the next day? Probably. I don't think that translates to anything in the game. I have yet to see it work

It's a fresh perspective. You're talking about these hockey players like they're not humans.

Hmmmm.....I'll have to watch him below the circle next time to rate him. I wish he was a Sabre

I know, right? Few players are more exciting to watch.

I forget exactly who it was, but I remember a player being interviewed after sitting for a game, and him commenting that watching from up top gave him new respect for the way Ennis and Gerbe never stop moving their feet.

Edited by qwksndmonster

I think I'm doing the opposite actually. Humans panic and forget plans in the heat of the moment, they revert back to instinct and muscle memory.

You're right that hockey is mostly instinct, so if your instincts are telling you to do the wrong thing (as Zemgus's seem to be) then you'll have to approach the game differently. I fully believe that Zemgus will figure it out from behind the bench, on the ice, or in the press box because he's a good hockey player. But to say that giving a player a seat in the press box is totally useless is strange to me. It's one of the tools in the coach's toolbox.

Developing better habits is done through repetition. The only thing I see benefitial of the box sitting is giving a guy a break from his own head. I don't think you learn a lot up there, or anything that really stays with you when you play the next time, but I think it can maybe reset you.

Maybe that's what people are saying; I just don't think sitting a guy can make things click. It's there or it's not

Edited by WildCard

Developing better habits is done through repetition. The only thing I see benefitial of the box sitting is giving a guy a break from his own head. I don't think you learn a lot up there, or anything that really stays with you when you play the next time, but I think it can maybe reset you.

Maybe that's what people are saying; I just don't think sitting a guy can make things click. It's there or it's not

Maybe this isn't a great parallel, but I used to do track days on my motorcycle (go to a track, ride around really fast). There was one corner at Thunderbolt Circuit that I just could not get; it's a long right hander that suddenly tightens up at the end. After I think two times there I couldn't figure it out; I even went off into the grass on one pass. Then I watched an AMA race on that track on TV and made it a point to watch whenever they showed that corner. Next time out? Nailed it.

Turn 9, if anyone is interested.

http://www.njmp.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/04/tboltmap.pdf

You've sat at ice level and in the 300s before, right? It's amazing what you see from one perspective that you never would from the other.

I think seeing from up top could really help Zemgus dial into where his teammates are during zone clears/entries. If it really is Hot Daniel's system that he's not grasping, that is.

I think I'm doing the opposite actually. Humans panic and forget plans in the heat of the moment, they revert back to instinct and muscle memory.

One likes to think hockey players don't play the whole game in panic mode.  It could be helpful to get the perspective of distances and angles from above.  To recognize a team's defense that a player has seen from ice level, and see the ways to get around it.... that sort of thing.  Shooting, passing, sure that's muscle memory.  But when you get a 2-on-1 break and your assessing your chances as you skate in, knowing how it would look from above might help a player know when to pass and where to aim the pass to.

Zemgus had a great goal last night.  But outside of that there have been entire games where he has been useless.  Last season he was an animal and now he looks like he is having trouble finding his way.  I hope last night was a step in the correct direction and I know he isn't one of the top 2 talents on the team anymore but he needs to be better.

Is Bylsma's system not good for him or is it the first real system Zemgus has had to learn?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_J6i5RMYvKw

Looks like you nailed it:

http://www.wgr550.com/The-Sabres-are-starting-to-digest-Bylsma-s-teachin/22138246

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.