The Marcus Foligno Thread

Doohickie

Descriptive topic titles are an asset to our community. It helps community members recognize which conversations they might want to read or participate in.

Please refrain from using generic topic titles, including player name only titles. If you can take the time to start a conversation, you can take a moment and properly label it.

The original poster can edit the title.

Thanks for making SabreSpace a better place.

I hope he becomes the player he seems capable of being. The pedigree is certainly there with his brother and father, and he certainly has the tools.

His biggest problem is the unreal expectations that were placed on him for the 12 game stint where he Ennis and Stafford caught lightning in a bottle.  He piled up a bunch of goals with an unsustainable shooting percent in the 30s.  so everyone thought he was a scorer.  probably even him.  Now that the roster is close to where it should be with NHL talent, he has settled into the role he was destined for.  A bottom 6 winger who can chip in offensively when needed but probably belongs on the 3rd or 4th line.

Right now Foligno's nickname should be "flash" because all we see are flashes here and there. I want to see some real consistency from Foligno this season. Just a constant steady physical presence who chips in offensively here and there. 

I think this is just what Foligno is.  A decent 3rd liner with flashes of more here and there.

I think this is just what Foligno is.  A decent 3rd liner with flashes of more here and there.

It seems that in the past, "here and there" meant every several games.  So far this year it seems like a few times a game.  The beauty of Eichel (and Kane and ROR, not to mention Ennis) is that the pressure to produce has been lifted off Foligno, which gives him the freedom to play his game which... may lead to more production from him.

It seems that in the past, "here and there" meant every several games.  So far this year it seems like a few times a game.  The beauty of Eichel (and Kane and ROR, not to mention Ennis) is that the pressure to produce has been lifted off Foligno, which gives him the freedom to play his game which... may lead to more production from him.

Having talented forwards should help every forward on every line produce better.  I still don't want Foligno anywhere near the top 2 lines.

Having talented forwards should help every forward on every line produce better.  I still don't want Foligno anywhere near the top 2 lines.

Net-front presence during the PP would be fine with me.  Other than that, maybe he's just a 3-4 line guy.  Then again, Justin Abdelkader started out that way and now he plays the top line in Detroit.

Our forward group is very well rounded.  Grit almost across the board, and lots of different kinds of grit, too.  You have the heavies of McGinn, Foligno, and Deslauriers.  The defensively sharp Legwand, Larsson, Girgensons, Gionta, and O'Reilly.  Kane is a relentless power forward.  The closest any of our forwards are to soft are Reinhart and Moulson.  Moulson still grinds in the slot and Reinhart is still a kid.

This is an exciting time.

Marcus has looked like a physical load with enough talent to sometimes play with the skill guys.

So basically the useful third-liner realistic fans hoped he would be.

What's even better is McGinn and Deslauriers are looking like that player too.

I've been pleasantly surprised with McGinn. He's got wheels, and he likes to hit a ton. Plus, he's not inept in the offensive zone. A very solid 3rd/4th liner. 

Our forward group is very well rounded.  Grit almost across the board, and lots of different kinds of grit, too.  You have the heavies of McGinn, Foligno, and Deslauriers.  The defensively sharp Legwand, Larsson, Girgensons, Gionta, and O'Reilly.  Kane is a relentless power forward.  The closest any of our forwards are to soft are Reinhart and Moulson.  Moulson still grinds in the slot and Reinhart is still a kid.

This is an exciting time.

And you left Ennis out.  He's also gotten gritty and can take on players much taller than he is and get the better of it.

They're also not a real contender as currently constructed.

I won't argue that.  I think they are on the bubble and may not continue their playoff streak this year.  I think the new coach will help inject some life into the team; they always seem to dig up good talent from unexpected places.

The Red Wings? I'm not disagreeing, I think they're a pretender, but I'm interested in why you think they're not

They need a rebuild.  I don't know that they need a total teardown, but their core is geriatric.

...and their new core may be akin to the Vanek/Pommer/Roy/Staff core.  Not bad players, but not sure there's leadership there.

They need a rebuild.  I don't know that they need a total teardown, but their core is geriatric.

...and their new core may be akin to the Vanek/Pommer/Roy/Staff core.  Not bad players, but not sure there's leadership there.

A good answer. I know their aging, and that the old core is going, but Larkin, Nyquist, Tatar, Jurco, and my ex-man crush Matha seem like a solid core though. I don't know who they have on that blue line though besides Kronwall and Quincey, but Mrazek seems capable of taking over for Howard from what I've heard. Plus, Blashill is a good coach, and I won't discount Holland in his player evaluations

A good answer. I know their aging, and that the old core is going, but Larkin, Nyquist, Tatar, Jurco, and my ex-man crush Matha seem like a solid core though. I don't know who they have on that blue line though besides Kronwall and Quincey, but Mrazek seems capable of taking over for Howard from what I've heard. Plus, Blashill is a good coach, and I won't discount Holland in his player evaluations

Getting a bit off topic here, but if I had to pick someone to replace Zetty out of that crowd, I think Nyquist would be their next captain.

The Red Wings? I'm not disagreeing, I think they're a pretender, but I'm interested in why you think they're not

Egg basically nailed it for me, but rather than going in the leadership direction, I'll go in the talent direction. I think Datsyuk/Zetterberg/Kronwall are probably too old to go on a deep run with. They're all still good, don't get me wrong, but when was the last time a core in their mid-30s won a Cup? Plus their defense lacks a monster like Keith/Doughty/Hedman, and I'm not sure the depth is strong enough to take a Rangers-like approach and ice a bunch of #2/3 type players. The unit is still good, but not seeing Cup caliber there. And then there's Howard, who has had two bad years in a row. Mrazak looks promising, but I'm not about to bank on a guy with 35 career starts.

Their next wave of talent leaves me wanting as well. Larkin looks like he could be a stud, but I need more than a few games before I'm convinced he can be the top center on a Cup team. Nyquist and Tatar are both really good offensive players, but they're not exactly Kane and Hossa. 

It's weird. I think they're a good team, and I think they're positioned to be a good team for quite some time. Sometimes being a good team is enough because you catch a few bounces, the right guys get hot, and you go all the way. But it's just not a group I have confidence in predicting will do that.

Marcus has looked like a physical load with enough talent to sometimes play with the skill guys.

So basically the useful third-liner realistic fans hoped he would be.

What's even better is McGinn and Deslauriers are looking like that player too.

McGinn is skating better than in the pre-season. 

I really had worries, but he gets up and down. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.