GDT: Columbus @ Buffalo 7pm EDT 10/02/15

WildCard

Huge question marks.

Is he truly over the concussion?  If not, he shouldn't even be out there.  We need to be targeting a decent second liner in case things don't improve early on.

I think you are under the misconception that the intent is to make a run before the window closes. Our window hasn't even been installed in the house yet. The organization is stocked with potential 2nd liners. Lehner needs NHL action and minutes to get his timing and positioning back. This season is an experiment. They are not trading assets for a 2nd line player.

It's going to be interesting to see what the Sabres look like when they play a little heavier game in the regular season. Seems like both teams aren't really hitting as hard as they normally would.

Kane certainly was hitting, playing heavy..

So how much will the D improve with Bogosian back? 

Does anyone think Murray will trade for or sign a high-end defenseman this season or next offseason?

I'm still advocating for an Islanders-type trade to ease someone's cap burden and give up very little assets in return.  See the trade speculation thread.  We are similar to that Islanders team and a solid D-man or two could make us more likely to contend now.  This doesn't have to be a "developmental" year for the franchise.  I'm hoping if it's available we do it.  Even if we have "too many" defensemen when everyone's healthy, we could use the depth since I think we're going to be dealing with injuries all year based on the early indications. 2 of our top 4 are already "week to week".  Rosters around the league are being finalized now, so now is when something like this could happen.

I'm still advocating for an Islanders-type trade to ease someone's cap burden and give up very little assets in return.  See the trade speculation thread.  We are similar to that Islanders team and a solid D-man or two could make us more likely to contend now.  This doesn't have to be a "developmental" year for the franchise.  I'm hoping if it's available we do it.  Even if we have "too many" defensemen when everyone's healthy, we could use the depth since I think we're going to be dealing with injuries all year based on the early indications. 2 of our top 4 are already "week to week".  Rosters around the league are being finalized now, so now is when something like this could happen.

I think "hope" would be a more appropriate verb than advocate here, because that trade was ultra luck for the Islanders, and not really something GMTM can just do.

Edited by qwksndmonster

I think "hope" would be a more appropriate verb than advocate here, because that trade was ultra luck for the Islanders, and not really something GMTM can just do.

You're right, I do hope it happens.  If only we had what we have now a year ago....

We're not a similar team to the slanders. We are developing. The Islanders had a fully matured Tavares and were coming off a playoff year where they nearly knocked off the #1 seed. We came in last two years in a row, have a new coach and a ton if new players, and our 2-3 centers are rookies

Edited by WildCard

We're not a similar team to the slanders. We are developing. The Islanders had a fully matured Tavares and were coming off a playoff year where they nearly knocked off the #1 seed. We came in last two years in a row, have a new coach and a ton if new players, and our 2-3 centers are rookies

Similar in that we're potentially good offensively, but could use some defense.  We're going to have alot of guys developing and meshing this year, but I don't think that and being highly competitive are mutually exclusive.  I'm talking about upgrading/replacing Coco and Donovan, not anyone important to our future, like Pysyk.

Similar in that we're potentially good offensively, but could use some defense.  We're going to have alot of guys developing and meshing this year, but I don't think that and being highly competitive are mutually exclusive.  I'm talking about upgrading/replacing Coco and Donovan, not anyone important to our future, like Pysyk.

Not even remotely similar. If you don't see the difference you are blind. They were a playoff team two tears before. Their team was mature. Potential has nothing to do with it. We are essentially an expansion team. Dfl 2 years in a row, top picks and trades have turned over our roster by almost 50%. I wish people would stop all this nonsense about trades. Murray has said this is a throw away year if you believe his sincerity about Lehner. We are not a playoff team and I believe he wants to be in the top 5 in this years draft, though he won't engineer it like last year.

Not even remotely similar. If you don't see the difference you are blind. They were a playoff team two tears before. Their team was mature. Potential has nothing to do with it. We are essentially an expansion team. Dfl 2 years in a row, top picks and trades have turned over our roster by almost 50%. I wish people would stop all this nonsense about trades. Murray has said this is a throw away year if you believe his sincerity about Lehner. We are not a playoff team and I believe he wants to be in the top 5 in this years draft, though he won't engineer it like last year.

Why not go for it if we can?  I don't want to be in the bottom five of the league this year if we can avoid it.  That sounds a lot like the last two years, but our personnel is much, much better, especially on offense.  If we're bottom five again this is going to be another long, wasted year.  I realize it could happen, but it doesn't have to be a "throw away" year and I'll be a bit disappointed in our GM if he's idle while we waste another year.  We have our tanking prizes, now let's move upward as fast as we can.

Why not go for it if we can?  I don't want to be in the bottom five of the league this year if we can avoid it.  That sounds a lot like the last two years, but our personnel is much, much better, especially on offense.  If we're bottom five again this is going to be another long, wasted year.  I realize it could happen, but it doesn't have to be a "throw away" year and I'll be a bit disappointed in our GM if he's idle while we waste another year.  We have our tanking prizes, now let's move upward as fast as we can.

No one wants another tank and that is not what we are talking about here. We can only avoid finishing out of the running if a lot of things go right. The young guys, and not Eichel and Reinhart, but Zemgus, Rasmus, Pysik, and to a certain extent Kane, Bogosian and foligno go from potential stars to actual producing stars. That is what this year is about. What we saw Friday will happen a lot more than most think but it is normal growing pains. By the end of this year Pysik and McCabe will be up. We will grow or the parts that don't produce will be culled away. This isn't a quick fix. I hope, and believe, GMTM sees it the same way. No need to rush.

No one wants another tank and that is not what we are talking about here. We can only avoid finishing out of the running if a lot of things go right. The young guys, and not Eichel and Reinhart, but Zemgus, Rasmus, Pysik, and to a certain extent Kane, Bogosian and foligno go from potential stars to actual producing stars. That is what this year is about. What we saw Friday will happen a lot more than most think but it is normal growing pains. By the end of this year Pysik and McCabe will be up. We will grow or the parts that don't produce will be culled away. This isn't a quick fix. I hope, and believe, GMTM sees it the same way. No need to rush.

There were no regular pairs on defense with any familiarity. And that showed -  but it is a little distressing that it showed so much against the Bluejacket B team, But weak pairings are hard to hide at any level. 

They will get better. 

There were no regular pairs on defense with any familiarity. And that showed -  but it is a little distressing that it showed so much against the Bluejacket B team, But weak pairings are hard to hide at any level. 

They will get better.

I believe they will, but I would rather suffer through that wit McCabe, Pysik and a healthy Bogo rather than the equivalent of Benoit or Mezzaros picked up this late in the game. Funny the Sabres roster did not show McCabe or Pysik on the NHL site.

I believe they will, but I would rather suffer through that wit McCabe, Pysik and a healthy Bogo rather than the equivalent of Benoit or Mezzaros picked up this late in the game. Funny the Sabres roster did not show McCabe or Pysik on the NHL site.

Pysik had some really beautiful up-ice passes last night. Teppo like. 

Leddy and Boychuk are Messy Balls? I'm talking about replacing this year's possible version of Messy Balls if we have a chance. Coco and Donovan. Cocovan? Dococo? Donoco?

Edited by EastsideOasis

Leddy and Boychuk are Messy Balls? I'm talking about replacing this year's possible version of Messy Balls if we have a chance. Coco and Donovan. Cocovan? Dococo? Donoco?

at what price? Who will give us legitimate D men? Who are you willing to trade, Larsson? Girgs? Nobody is in the Boston or Chicago position of last year. You will need to trade something of value. Or you can do nothing and allow your young D to get experience. Hopefully that is where TM is at. We haven't improved into a playoff team in one year, that I know he knows.

at what price? Who will give us legitimate D men? Who are you willing to trade, Larsson? Girgs? Nobody is in the Boston or Chicago position of last year. You will need to trade something of value. Or you can do nothing and allow your young D to get experience. Hopefully that is where TM is at. We haven't improved into a playoff team in one year, that I know he knows.

No reason to believe there are a Leddy &/or Boychuk available @ last year's prices (each went for a 2nd IIRC) but in fairness nobody thought they'd be available for that until they were either.

The islanders gave up picks and prospects. Nothing off their NHL roster. You're probably right that we're developing and not expecting much this year. I'm just saying if that kind of deal is there make it, instead of someone else doing it. We can both compete for the playoffs and develop players. They're not mutually exclusive. Now are those kind of deals out there? Probably not, but if they are I want to be involved and not settle for what we currently have on D.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.